Speed of work?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Does EssentialPIM work as fast as you expect it to?

EPIM is real fast, nothing to claim about
67%
No,- minor delays when I switch between Schedules/Notes/Contacts
17%
No,- some delays when I work with big database
8%
No,- EPIM is real slooooow
8%

Total votes: 12

Max
Site Admin

Speed of work?

Post by Max »

Hello everyone again!
Now that we have successfully decided in favour of making several smaller changes in 1.0 final realease, here is another small poll, connected to the speed of work of EssentialPIM.
P.S. only registered users can vote to ensure integrity of results. Join now!
Last edited by Max on Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

SNAFU :oops:

Honestly speaking EPIM is very fast, one of the fastest PIMs I know. It slows down a bit in only two situations:
1. when I start it up from my Transcend USB Drive (aka FlashPen), but I have no comparison with anything because no other PIM I know does it (or more precisely, I took no other PIM into my consideration, because EPIM beats them all)
2. when I use my database which is really big (around 300 contacts, some with pictures, a lot of my brainstorm notes ;)). It slows down much less than other PIMs. I know only two PIMs which do not slow down when use big databases - IBM/Lotus Organizer 6.1 and ECCO Pro 4.01 (both discontinued). EPIM slows down a bit. Nothing dramatic :)

PS My machine up to date (maybe it is important), based on Athlon 64.
PPS Max, you convinced me to register ;)
GeoTrail
Beta Team

Post by GeoTrail »

I select 'No,- EPIM is real slooooow' for one major reason;

When I start the program, minimize or restore it, it seems to hang abit. Those functions can be rewritten to be much faster. I am very happy with the program as a whole and the slow speed isn't detering me from using it or telling others to use it, but with a good speed increase it would be a much better program generally speaking.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi GeoTrail,

thanks for your comments. We are experimenting with a new database engine, but it has its own disatvantages, so no dramatical increase can be expected yet. And anyway, if you have a large database, startup time to show the current day can't be made MUCH faster...
Maxim,
EPIM Team
GeoTrail
Beta Team

Post by GeoTrail »

My database isn't very big. Only have one contact in it and a few notes. I'll wait for the release to really start adding my data into it ;)

I'm not sure if it's the database or the program it self that makes it abit slow.
Then again, I'm more used to handling software written in lower level languages. But that's ok, like I said, I have no plans on stopping using it, it's too good for that ;)