New features for EPIM 1.0- need your help!

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What should we do in Final Release 1.0?

Add many small improvements
73%
Add sharing databases over LAN (other users of EPIM on the same LAN will be able to see each others' data, like Calendar, Notes, Contacts
20%
Add "layers"- will allow to distribute holidays, special schedules (e.g. class schedules), will allow to merge data from different databases
7%

Total votes: 15

Max
Site Admin

New features for EPIM 1.0- need your help!

Post by Max »

Hello everyone,
we are currently thinking about making a final release of EssentialPIM and need your help! We will add one of the following in final release:
- either make one big improvement
- or make a number of small changes like:

adding Week numbering
keyboard shortcuts in Notes
database name on top
auto archive the database

Please vote, we would be most grateful for your help developing EssentialPIM!
Last edited by Max on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
ogman1@gmail.com

many small improvements

Post by ogman1@gmail.com »

I like the sound of the many small improvements.

Don't know if I am supposed to be able to click something to vote in that poll, but it doesn't work here.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hi, thank you for the comment! Regarding the poll- only logged in users can post votes, to prevent someonevoting 100 times:)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
MetalElf0
Novice

Many small improvements

Post by MetalElf0 »

I'd prefer many small improvements, considering EssentialPim is already a great piece of software and there aren't many big improvements to be done. I think that LAN support isn't really needed, cause the application is more likely to be used from a single user. The LAN support would just add a lot of things to implement, that it's better to leave for more complete and heavy programs - like Outlook, e.g.
I think you'd better add some things like an option to remove old schedules automatically (e.g. remove all schedules after 1-3-6 months they occurred).
Another thing that could make the program user-likely is the possibility to add a picture for each contact. I know it's not such an useful function, but it could attract a lot of young users that could prefer the ease of use of EssentialPim to other more complex PIMs like Outlook.

By the way, thanks for this software and keep on the good work!

Elf0 from Italy
----------------------------
Stand and fight - Say what you feel
Born with a heart of steel
Max
Site Admin

Re: Many small improvements

Post by Max »

Thank you for your opinion! And regarding this:
MetalElf0 wrote:Another thing that could make the program user-likely is the possibility to add a picture for each contact. I know it's not such an useful function, but it could attract a lot of young users that could prefer the ease of use of EssentialPim to other more complex PIMs like Outlook.
it is already done in next Beta, to be released, hopefully, still this week! So we have a crystall ball:)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
mario_a

Feature request : View tasks by filter

Post by mario_a »

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your excellent work on Essential PIM.

I am in favour of making a number of small changes, rather than implementing only one big improvement for the 1.0 final release.

I would like to suggest adding a feature where I could view specific scheduled tasks based on a Priority, Category, or Completion filter. For example, view only tasks with a 'High' priority, or only tasks in the 'Business' category. This would be really useful.

Another nice feature to have, would be to allow a program to be executed on a Reminder (in addition to a Sound file).

Let me know what you think, Thanks !

Regards,
Mario
ibr
Beta Team

Post by ibr »

In addition to several small improvements - specially in To-Do-List area it would be great if Lan sharing is implemented. This would be very helpful for sharing common tasks such as meetings, training schedules etc. with fellow workers.
GeoTrail
Beta Team

Post by GeoTrail »

Hi Max. I also selected many improvements :)
Been abit busy lately with some projects of my own so I haven't made any new bug reports or such. But I'll be back as soon as I can :)
yokozuna

Post by yokozuna »

I think that everything together :wink: But seriously, I think that many small improvements would be the best. I think that 99% of all users use PIMs (all of them) as standalone products, so network capabilities are nice but nothing urgent.
gzax

Post by gzax »

This is a great piece of software just for its simplicity of use. doesn't nead to be complicated.
I think there would be some improvements in UI to be more readable and customizable. the only real big improvement feature addition i would like is mobile phone or other calendar devices synconization. I would like have my data readable (not in usb stick ) everywhere.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello everyone,

thank you very much for voting and posting your opinions! They are all read and will be taken into attention.
For now we are closing the poll, deciding in favour of making more smaller changed in Final Release 1.0 of EssentialPIM.
Our plans include releasing one more Beta with most of the smaller improvements done and bugs fixed. If this version does will- in a week or two we will see release!
Maxim,
EPIM Team