EPIM can't import ical calendars any more

Here we post and discuss the iCal calendars which users create with EssentialPIM
EdB
Novice

EPIM can't import ical calendars any more

Post by EdB »

I've been using EPIM for a while to download Google Calendar's iCal file to my desktop so I could have an off-line version. Recently EPIM stopped being able to import calendars and just hangs. I was using 2.17, had this problem (not originally with 2.17) and switched to 2.2.

I've tried:
- Using IE instead of FFox;
- Saving the gcal file locally rather than use the URL;
- optimizing the EPIM db;
- Rebootinhg EPIM (and Windows);
- Turned off the firewall;
Nothing works.

What I get is an EPIM message saying it's importing the info, then everything related to the process just... stops. Eventually Windows says "Program not responding". A look at system processes show no activity with anything related to EPIM.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed
gtech
Beta Team

Post by gtech »

I am using 2.2 and I can import iCals from a file or an URL without any problem
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Ed, maybe something is related to your iCal file, need to have a look at it.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
huskydude
Novice

Post by huskydude »

In looking at the RFC 2445 convention, I discovered that if you do not have unique UID (UID) or otherwise a duplicate, the ical file will not import.

Don't know if this is the case for calendar events, but it is for todo lists.

I built a quick program in MS FoxPro to convert a CSV variant of my todo's from another PIM application to meet the RFC 2445 iCal convention for importation into EPIM.

I am impressed with EPIM, I enjoy it's Outlook appearance and functionality. Hope to see bigger and better...

Hope this helps,

Warmest regards, Husky

Incidentally, here's a sample of todo format...

From this

"January 3, 2008",Trash Removal Day,0, ,"January 3, 2008",0,[Home Maintenance]

to this... Note the UID... It is a tailorable number. If this particular number were to already exists in my EPIM, the file is rejected.

VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VTODO
UID:M2008020006
LAST-MODIFIED:20080101T0001
DTSTART:20080107T0001
DTEND:20080107T0001
SUMMARY:Trash Removal Day
CLASS:PUBLIC
DTSTAMP:20080101T0001
CATEGORIES:Maintenance
END:VTODO
END:VCALENDAR
Traveler
Novice

Post by Traveler »

Not directly related to Epim, but if you are synchronizing Thunderbird Lightning Calendar and Google Calendar the To Do Tasks in Lightning stops working and are not displayed anymore.

It seems that it is because Google Calendar does not support To Do Tasks, I recently discovered and the iCal (Agenda & To Do) gives mistakes. If you are not using To Do Tasks, everything is working fine.

On older versions of Lightning it worked without problems. I don not know he way Google exports his files makes the difference and
perhaps the same reason why your import does not work correctly for Epim?