EPIM cannot be closed

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

poet-man
Guru

EPIM cannot be closed

Post by poet-man »

Does anybody have the same problem?

I write an answer to a mail, which takes some time ... after this it is not possible to close EPIM (have to kill program via task manager).

Didnot have the time to have a look under what circumstances this will happen, so not possible yet to say more about it.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
DanFelix
Novice

Re: EPIM cannot be closed

Post by DanFelix »

No such problem here. Win 11, SSD.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We are also unable to confirm this problem.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
aurio
Novice

Post by aurio »

hello poet-man,

i quick checked this 11.8.3 Pro W10 22H2 with POP3 and Exchange accounts, cross-answering between the accounts, with separatly opend mail window (double click on message) as well directly out of the Inbox - I have no problems with starting/closing/restarting at any time
EPIM Pro 11.8.4 Business Edition - 3 Users - Network
Language: German/English
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Thanks to everybody for checking
Will go on to find reasons for this behaviours on my side
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
M&M
Experienced

Post by M&M »

Hello poet-man,

I have often had this problem, but it has improved with version 11.8.2. Unfortunately, I can't give any information about version 11.8.3 as I haven't installed it due to the many errors. It is also possible that the existing errors in 11.8.3 have changed the database structure and therefore EPIM cannot be closed. For example, I could not close EPIM after Windows was in standby or after error messages. In my opinion, this is due to the memory or process management of EPIM.

Good luck M&M
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

"I could not close EPIM after Windows was in standby or after error messages" is something that sounds familiar. Will go on looking for reasons for the problem, in this direction
M&M
Experienced

Post by M&M »

It has happened again!

EPIM would not close again for no apparent reason. As already mentioned, there seem to be processes running in the background that prevent it from closing. I thought it would be better with 11.8.2, but apparently not. EPIM can usually be closed without any problems if the database is optimized before it is closed, as all processes running in the background are then apparently terminated first. So close EPIM directly after the optimization. Unfortunately I forgot this time. EPIM is and remains a sensitive tool that requires certain manners.

This problem is apparently not solvable ? !

Best regards M&M
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

@M&M
@admin
Maybe THIS leads to something!
Wanted to try what M&M suggested. After starting notebook, I realised, that I just had closed top of notebook when last using it. Thus EPIM was open. First tried to close EPIM, which was not possible. Wanted to try to optimize database, to see whether I would be able to close EPIM afterwards. But after clicking on database-management in file menu, the corresponding window opened and almonst immediately closed again. Also tools/options could not be started. Only a slight imagination of the window borders was visible for a second.
I had to kill EPIM via task manager, to be able to go on
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 37a4f4fdfc

poet-man

This seems like a problem I had a few weeks ago.
Windows opening in the background that you can't close because you can't get to them.
Try Alt+F4, if that helps do what I did that fixed my problem, it's been several weeks now and the problem has not returned.

If you haven't tried this, please do.

Some problems that are erratic and can't predict when they will happen and no one seem to have answers.
I found this to solve a lot of Epim's erratic behavior.

Click on the yellow folder on the taskbar.
Then click on the three dots on the menu.
Click on Options.
Click to Clear File Explorer History.
Click Restore Defaults.
Click Apply.

Important:
Click on both the View tabs and the Search Tabs in the dialog and restore defaults on these.
Then close out the File Explorer and restart the computer.

Win11 Pro Ver. 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3155) 64-bit, 32GB Ram, 500gb M.2 SSD, 4Km, EPIMPro Life 11.8.3
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

You mean File Explorer? I cannot see "three dots" (Windows 10 Home)
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Yes windows explorer, I'm on windows 11 but I think it would be the same.
2024-03-11_142843.jpg
2024-03-11_142843.jpg (24.38 KiB) Viewed 388 times
M&M
Experienced

Post by M&M »

Hello Victor,

can I restore the settings in Explorer (file manager) afterwards as I wish or can I only use Explorer with the default values?
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

I believe this is a windows problem, since the information came from Microsoft.
If you change the default settings you might be right back where you were before.
This fixed the problem for me so I'm going to go with that.
Thanks and I hope it helps others.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

For the last days the problem has not appeared anymore. Whether this is temporarely only, because I had not met the circumstances anymore, under which it would appear, or because the problem has been solved ... I donot know.
I have not used the changes @VictorParkerPIM had suggested, as to file-manager options, but I have updated to 11.8.4 and I have solved the problem as to not being able to create a new mail, having focus on all-in-box (I solved it by changing standard mail account; see corresponding topic).
Maybe whatever, not being able to close EPIM has not appeared anymore so far.
If it returns, I will report.