Folders are not restored from rules backup

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

KmxSoft
Guru

Folders are not restored from rules backup

Post by KmxSoft »

I judicially save a backup when I add or change a rule. There are 3 problems here:

1) MINOR! It isn't possible to add a file with extent EMR to this forum because it isn't an allowed type so I've had to waste time creating a zip file. And obviously support staff will have to waste time unpacking it. I think it would be a good idea to add EMR's to the supported list - they aren't huge files and unlike zip files probably have minor concerns as malware carriers.

2) SERIOUS! Whilst the restore works fine to restore saved rules, the restore does NOT restore the folder names to those restored rules. You end up with a list of rules which have no folders assigned - and EPIM then merrily produces errors about missing folder definitions.

3) MODERATE! You then have to waste time editing each rule to restore the folder definition. It would be very helpful if these failed rules were flagged automatically as non-working rather than generating errors - that way the dialog showing the list of rules would show unticked rules - making it easy to walk through those failures. As it is, there is no easy way to see which rules are failing - and even the failure message doesn't tell you which rule is broken - it just gives an offset value which needs time to analyse.

As I've wasted several hours trying to fix dozens of rules I've now deleted ALL rules and am rebuilding from scratch. I have attached my backup which should be helpful to see what is failing. It's a binary file, maybe the backup/export could be considered for having a text output? Other email clients do export simple text.
Attachments
Rules.zip
(3.41 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Folders are not restored from rules backup

Post by admin »

Were the folders mentioned in the message rules present in the list of folders for your mail accounts?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!