Frustrations with notifications closing

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jim999
Guru

Re: Frustrations with notifications closing

Post by jim999 »

admin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:39 pm Please also update to EPIM 11.8.1 to ensure that you're using the version with all the latest fixes implemented. Thank you.
Just did the update. Will put EPIM calendar back into Month view and see if the issue is still there with 11.8.1,
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Updated to 11.8..1 and the problem still occurs when in Month view. It is not an issue for me since the weekly view is what I normally use.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

This is still happening even when the calendar is in Week view. Just today I was typing up a note and I heard the notification sound for a reoccurring appointment but I never saw the popup reminder. Using 11.8.2 on Windows10 22H2. It is darn frustrating. Since these are usually reoccurring appointments I knew what the notification was for. However, if I scheduled something for a one-time occurrence I would not necessarily twig on what the missed notification was for.

Yesterday I discovered that EPIM has somehow either never started when I booted up the system in the morning or it had somehow closed down. I only discovered this because I wondered at the end of the day that I did not see any notifications. When I started EPIM I was greeted with a screen full of missed items. EPIM is only set to run a single instance, to start up with Windows and to minimize to systray.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please install the portable version into a new folder, create a new test database file, and set up a test recurring event with a reminder. Then, observe if the same problem occurs. Thank you.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I have turned off all hotkeys in EPIM to see if that makes a change. If not I will try the portable suggestion Something is causing the notification window to be dismissed / closed.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Turning off hotkeys did nothing. I downloaded the portable version. closed down my installed version. I have created several recurring appointments with notifications at 0 minutes beforehand. I started typing in a text entry box on another website, like creating a forum post. As I typed the notification box popped up on the screen for perhaps a second, the notification sound played and the popup box disappeared!

I tested this with 3 separate appointments that were reoccurring with notifications at 0 min before the event. In the first two events, the popup showed up perhaps for a second before it disappeared during a period when I was typing. For the third test, I had to work on the issue occurring. I finally got the popup to disappear and I am wondering whether this is happening if I am pressing the space bar and the time the popup occurs.

It seems the issue is that if one is pressing the space bar when the pop-up occurs then the pop-up window is automatically dismissed. So during a normal typing session, one would be hitting the space bar a fair amount while composing a post on a form on a website etc. I was able to duplicate the issue here on this forum. I had a reoccurring appointment with a notification at 0 minutes scheduled at a given time. Shortly before that given time I started pressing the space bar repeatedly in a compose post screen on the forum here. I heard the announcement sound play but the pop up window never showed up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is the notification still available on the Windows taskbar after it disappears?
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

No the notification window is closed. It has completely disappeared
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We will make another attempt to investigate the issue. However, given that we weren't able to reproduce it on any of the machines on our end and there have been no similar reports from other users, I honestly doubt we will be able to resolve it.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

This issue as I initially stated ONLY occurs if I am typing away when the popup occurs. This typing for the vast majority of time is being done in text entry boxes such as on your forum software here, in YouTube live chat etc. It may be related to pressing of the space bar as my prior post indicated. I was simply repeatedly pressing the space bar and only the space bar close to the time a pop up occurred and numerous times before the notification window was closed by itself and totally disappeared. In all the years that I have been using EPIM, this is only happening in the most recent builds.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Step by step to duplicate this:
1) set up an appointment with a notification several minutes from now
2) open another application like Notepad++ and ensure that the cursor is in focus in Notetab++ text entry area
3) wait for the notification to pop up
4) press TAB key to find out which window has keyboard focus

The conclusion when the notification occurs EPIM has keyboard focus because the TAB works on the button on the notification. If at this time a spacebar action occurs the notification window disappears entirely and you only see the main EPIM window

When EPIM notification pops up it should not gain keyboard focus from other applications.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When the notification appears in the background, pressing the TAB key causes the cursor in Notepad to move to the right. If we switch focus to the reminder window and press the space bar, nothing happens, and the window will not disappear.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

WIll try EPIM on another computer here.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please do so, and then we'll know if it's a system-dependent issue.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

I installed EPIM portable on another Windows10 system here. The software is set to load on startup, minimize to tray and only allow one instance of it to run. These are the same settings as on my main computer. I made sure EPIM was displaying the Calendar page. I created an appointment of 0 mins length and a notification. I clicked on the X to minimize EPIM to systray only. I opened up Notepad. I clicked in Notepad so the cursor was in Notepad. Waited for the notification window to pop up on the screen. I did not move the mouse but simply pressed the spacebar, the notification pop-up disappeared, and I saw the main EPIM window showing the calendar page.

These are the same behaviour I am seeing on my main system with the Pro and the portable version (using its test DB). Why is pressing the spacebar causing the notification pop-up window to close on two different systems??