Frustrations with notifications closing

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

jim999
Guru

Frustrations with notifications closing

Post by jim999 »

I have EPIN Pro 11.8 on Windows 10 and I have lost count of how many times I have been typing in another application, the main screen for EPIM pops up along with a notification only to have the notification automatically close because I was typing away in another text entry box on another website.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Frustrations with notifications closing

Post by admin »

Please specify the type of notifications you are referring to. If these are reminders, ensure that the pin at the bottom left corner of the dialog isn't active.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

These are reminders of appointments that are reoccurring. Just this morning I was typing a reply on another website form. The reminder sound played, EPIM main app window popped up and the reminder was nowhere to be seen because I was typing in the other form and it summarily closed the reminder popup. The pin at the bottom of the left corner is not active.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, so you want the reminder to pop up in the foreground?
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Well, what I want the reminder to do is not to be dismissed if, in this case, I am typing into a text box in a tab in my browser. The reminder should stay on the screen minimized to the taskbar or open on the screen until I click on Dismiss or Dismiss All button on the reminder's window. Why is this reminder being dismissed while I am typing away in another text box posting a comment say to a subReddit post?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Understood now, although we're having difficulties reproducing this behavior on our end (the reminders don't steal the focus and stay on the taskbar). Would you be willing to record a short video demonstrating how it looks on your side? Maybe we're missing something here. Thanks.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

At first, I could not duplicate it when EPIM Calendar was set to Week view. Then I remembered when this was happening EPIM Calendar was set to Month view. Sure enough, the popup briefly shows up near the end of this video (46 second mark or so). You just see the reminder flash on the screen. At the time EPIM was minimized to the system tray in Windows 10. You have no way of know what reminder that was.
Attachments
EPIM Popup Issue.mp4
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 44 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you also please check if you would be able to replicate the issue on a new test database? Thank you.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

The same thing happens. I set up a reoccurring appointment with a notification. Went into a subreddit before the scheduled appointment and started replying to a post in the subreddit. The notification popped up ever so briefly and disappeared.
Capture.PNG
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What happens if you don't type anything when a notification appears? Will it disappear on its own? In any case, please search for the EPIM.ini file on your PC, back it up, then remove and restart EPIM. Check if that resolves the problem. Thank you!
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Ok the notification appears if I type nothing. It sits on the screen. I renamed the INI file on the PC and restarted EPIM. While typing a reply in Reddit the notification popped up and stayed open on the screen and did not disappear. Seems there was something wrong with the EPIM.ini file. Hopefully this has fixed it. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to know, and thanks for the update! If you still have the previous INI file, please forward it to me via PM. We will then be able to check which setting specifically caused such behavior.
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

admin wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:37 pm Good to know, and thanks for the update! If you still have the previous INI file, please forward it to me via PM. We will then be able to check which setting specifically caused such behavior.
Sent INI via DM
jim999
Guru

Post by jim999 »

Sorry, but this issue is still happening when typing into a text entry box. this time it was Youtube chat. I heard the notification sound but EPIM notification was nowhere to be seen. EPIM was not in the taskbar but as usual in the Systray. Checked and the calendar was in Month view. I changed it back to weekly and will see if this issue occurs or not.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please also update to EPIM 11.8.1 to ensure that you're using the version with all the latest fixes implemented. Thank you.