How to control order of fields when exporting contacts

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

swwhit52
Novice

How to control order of fields when exporting contacts

Post by swwhit52 »

A great feature of EPIM is the ability to select which fields to display for a group, and display them in a user-defined order. However ... I can't find a way to export the contacts in a group using only the displayed fields in the displayed order. I would also like to suppress the field names.

I'm trying to export a mailing list to a text file. I created an new Contact field called "Greeting". The fields in my group are displayed as:
Greeting Address City State Postal

When exported to a text file, they appear as:
Address: 100 Main St.
City: Springfield
State: MA
Postal: 01104
Greeting: John Smith and Family

I would like it to appear in the text file as:
John Smith & Family
100 Main St.
Springfield
MA

Is this possible?

I also tried PRINT instead of EXPORT and (selecting Print to File). When I click the FIELDS button, the field dialog seems to display them in a random order. Fortunately, "Greeting" appears before the other address fields and the result is how I want it - however (a) I need to use "Microsoft Print to PDF", and (b) I don't know if the order of fields might change in future versions of EPIM.

It would be helpful if the Export and Print functions could optionally retrieve the the fields and field order from the displayed field list instead of a FIELDS dialog - but this may not be practical from a programming standpoint.

Thank you for your consideration.
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to control order of fields when exporting contacts

Post by admin »

At the moment, it is not possible to configure the exporting option to exclude field names. However, we have plans to include this feature in future versions of EPIM.

Regarding the order of fields, when you click on File->Print Preview, the fields should be displayed in the same order as you see them on the screen. Could you please confirm if this is how it works on your end? Thank you!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
swwhit52
Novice

Re: How to control order of fields when exporting contacts

Post by swwhit52 »

Yes, Print Preview displays the fields correctly Thank you, this will be helpful.

I also discovered a 'trick' that may be useful to those who just want text to be placed on the clipboard for viewing or pasting:

When viewing a group, right-click on a contact and select 'Copy'. This will place the contents of ALL fields (not just those on the screen) onto the clipboard. It can then be pasted into Notepad or other applications and edited as needed.

To copy the text for ALL contacts in the group: click on a contact, press Ctrl-A, right-click on the FIRST contact, and select 'Copy'. (if you need the contacts to appear in the correct order, make sure to right-click on the FIRST contact).