Version 11.6 "Local Notes" Menu

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

kk
Experienced

Version 11.6 "Local Notes" Menu

Post by kk »

When I updated to the newest version 11.6 the "Local Notes" menu, in the "Notes" module, that usually sat at the bottom of the folder tree pane with the multiple tabs, is now its own pane on the left in between the folder tree pane and the navigation pane.
I am unable to move the "local folder" menu back down to the bottom of the folder tree pane where it belongs.
With it being to the left, it takes up too much screen real estate.

In addition,
Now when I type into a note and I hit a key on the keyboard to put comma or a period after a word, it puts the comma/period all the back to the front of the sentence until I keep typing to which at that point it puts it back in its place.
Very annoying.

Thanks!

- EssentialPIM full version and edition number: "EPIM Pro 11.6"
- Windows version number: "Windows 10" 64bit
Last edited by kk on Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Re: Version 11.6 "Local Notes" Menu

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

KK,

Place Cursor on vertical line between the Folder Tree pane and the Navigation pane and drag to edge of screen.
It takes up zero space when slid to the left.
Reverse for Folder Tree pane view.
No way to get the bottom tabs Menu back in Ver. 11.6 .
kk
Experienced

Post by kk »

Thank you for your advice VictorParkerPIM,
I was aware of the vertical line drag but that defeats the purpose of having the tabs to begin with since I navigate between them so often.
It would be a chore to have to constantly slide and drag that line.
I can't believe that EPIM would take away the option of having the Local Notes tabs at the bottom of the Tree pane.
Very counterproductive.
kk
Experienced

Post by kk »

Essential PIM.mp4
(9.55 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Is anyone else experiencing their keyboards not functioning properly while typing in notes?
The arrow keys behave in reverse and the punctuation keys place the punctuations at the beginning of the sentence.
I have no issues with the keyboard in any other application including WORD.

Every word that I had typed that had a colon at the end, for example LIST: now displays as :LIST

This could be a deal breaker for me. I don't have the time to mess with kind of stuff.

First the Local Notes tabs moved and rearranged and now this text editing issue..... :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Seems like you have the RTL (Right-to-Left) mode enabled. To disable it, please press Ctrl+Shift.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kk
Experienced

Post by kk »

I have worked with computers and have built them since the late 90's and I have never heard of the (Right to Left) mode!
That's crazy! LOL
Thank you so much for your help!
Please forgive my frustration.
Now if we can only get those note tabs movable again. :wink:
Li0n13
Novice

Post by Li0n13 »

I agree with the author of the topic. The new location takes up an unjustifiably large screen width. For me, moving items is also a frequent use case, constant sliding is not suitable.
And if the list of local notes contains several items, there will always be an empty space under them. Such an arrangement is a very irrational use of screen space.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you for your thoughts. We will explore the possibility of optionally combining notes and note lists in a single section. When the lists are positioned at the top and the notes are placed below.
MaLa

Post by MaLa »

I can only agree with the two authors on this topic. For me, the ability to optionally combine notes and note lists into a single section would also be very important. As it was in the previous versions, it was perfect. No wasted screen real estate due to a small number of list items
Ipim19
Expert

Post by Ipim19 »

I had started another thread about this issue over here: https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... hp?t=38080 - not knowing that the same thing is already being discussed here.

after two days, I changed my mind from the initial "this is terrible" to "I kinda like this... if there only would be a way to quickly open/close the new smart list/local notes area".
So if there would be a tiny toggle button to open/close the new Tabs area instead of having to slide open close it manually then this might be a good solution.

Thanks
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Ipim19 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:11 pm I had started another thread about this issue over here: https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... hp?t=38080 - not knowing that the same thing is already being discussed here.

after two days, I changed my mind from the initial "this is terrible" to "I kinda like this... if there only would be a way to quickly open/close the new smart list/local notes area".
So if there would be a tiny toggle button to open/close the new Tabs area instead of having to slide open close it manually then this might be a good solution.

Thanks
The new "Local Notes" menu is becoming more likable as I use it. That's saying a lot as I used the old layout for 15 years, and was very use to it. The reason I like the new layout is that it is easier for me to see my many notes quicker than in the old layout. Since I jump around notes quite a bit, that is a real efficiency boost for me. It is also consistent with the tasks layout as well, which I use heavily as well. I do appreciate that the new layout does reduce screen area, but for me, the gain in efficiency is well worth it.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
mvisconte
Beta Team

Post by mvisconte »

kk wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:37 am Essential PIM.mp4Is anyone else experiencing their keyboards not functioning properly while typing in notes?
Every word that I had typed that had a colon at the end, for example LIST: now displays as :LIST
Just happened to me, just today. Freaked me out no little bit. I was in a hurry and trying to get notes in quickly, and suddenly... LTR (and NOT "Lord of The Rings"!)

Took the opportunity to update my version to 11.6.5, and in comparing the epim .ini files, noticed the settings were different. I reset it, but couldn't tell you how I did it outside of the .ini file. :-D

Still getting used to the Local Notes menu changes...
mvisconte
Beta Team

Post by mvisconte »

Ipim19 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:11 pm after two days, I changed my mind from the initial "this is terrible" to "I kinda like this... if there only would be a way to quickly open/close the new smart list/local notes area".
I'm still in the "This is terrible" camp. The screen real estate that both that at the tree-list take up is substantial.

Plus, thinking it would "hide" the whole "smart list / local notes" area, I "x'd" out the smart list, and now I have no idea what keyboard whizzery is needed to bring it back long enough to evaluate it.

New interfaces are always very difficult and cause lots of unnecessary stress, if they aren't "intuitive", and chagnes not easily reversed.

Note:
As both the tree-list, and the "local notes" are vertically oriented, I'd be happy if they shared the vertical space, with the option to slide the divider up/down, to show more of one or the other. And, a tiny toggle to show/hide "smart list" would finish off this repurposed vertical arrangement. This would return the functionality of all, and let us determine how much of the screen real estate we want to dedicate to these special purpose navigation areas.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mvisconte wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 pm Took the opportunity to update my version to 11.6.5, and in comparing the epim .ini files, noticed the settings were different. I reset it, but couldn't tell you how I did it outside of the .ini file. :-D
Ctrl+Shift shortcut should do it.
mvisconte wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 pm Plus, thinking it would "hide" the whole "smart list / local notes" area, I "x'd" out the smart list, and now I have no idea what keyboard whizzery is needed to bring it back long enough to evaluate it.
Click on View->Smart Lists.
mvisconte wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 pm As both the tree-list, and the "local notes" are vertically oriented, I'd be happy if they shared the vertical space, with the option to slide the divider up/down, to show more of one or the other.
This is planned for the 11.7 version. Thanks!
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:48 am
mvisconte wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:21 pm As both the tree-list, and the "local notes" are vertically oriented, I'd be happy if they shared the vertical space, with the option to slide the divider up/down, to show more of one or the other.
This is planned for the 11.7 version. Thanks!
I am assuming that the "Local Notes" (column) is the same reference as the "Tree Notes Tabs", and the column to immediate right is the "Tree Notes".

Therefore, instead of these current (v6.5.1) two adjacent columns, they would be one single column combining both, where each tree note tab would have immediately underneath its own tree notes. I would assume the existing existing tree notes expand/collapse would carry over. Further, because I have so many tree note tabs (20+), it would be possible to completely hide tree notes under its tree note tab as vertical column space would get very long if they are all visible. In essence, it would look/operate similar to the Microsoft Windows Explorer navigation pane. If this is all correct, I think it would be a great upgrade to the Notes module: saving screen space with an information display system that everyone is familiar with from Windows Explorer.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.