creat local mailbox for offline storage?

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

JcTcom
Novice

creat local mailbox for offline storage?

Post by JcTcom »

Hello.
This is fairly urgent as my online imap mailbox is full.

How can I create a local mailbox for offline storage? In Outlook I would normally create a .PST file and move archive items into that. I need to know how I can do something similar as my "Imap" folders are full and I am having issues with mail service provider.

Carl
admin
Site Admin

Re: creat local mailbox for offline storage?

Post by admin »

You can achieve this using the Archiving option in mail. The process is described in detail in the help file. Please refer to the section on managing mail, specifically under the "Archiving Mail" header. You can find the help file at this link: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/mail_rules.htm (you may need to scroll down to the Archiving mail section).
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
JcTcom
Novice

Post by JcTcom »

Hi.

I have an "Archive" folder which I have set to "Do Not Synchronize".
I am attempting to drag and drop other folders into this folder but nothing seems to happen?

Can I not just drag online folders into the Archive folder so they can be stored in the offline area? I really do not want to do this e-mail by e-mail. That would take forever!

Carl.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's not going to work as you described. To archive messages, you have two options. First, you can select the messages you want to archive and then press the corresponding button on the toolbar. Alternatively, you can right-click on the mail folder, choose "Properties," and navigate to the "Auto Archive" tab to adjust the options.

If you want to move entire folders, you can create a new folder that is not synchronized with the server. Then, you can move the desired folders under this new folder.
JcTcom
Novice

Post by JcTcom »

I have noticed that when I move a folder into an Archive Folder that is set not to be synchronized with the server. The folder I moved still retains the default "Synchronize" option. Can I ask that his be changed so that if A folder is moved into a folder that is set to not synchronize the the lower folder takes on the properties of the higher level folder and itself automatically switches to "Do Not Synchronize"?

Carl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This can be done, of course, although we are not certain if this would be an expected behavior for the majority of users.
JcTcom
Novice

Post by JcTcom »

Logically I would think that if you are moving folders into a folder you have previously set as "not to Synchronize" the purpose of moving that folder is for archiving and you would normally expect it to take on the characteristics of the parent folder?

In fact I am not even sure how a folder inside a folder that is configured not to synchronize in the first place would even be able to synchronize without synchronizing the parent folder?

Carl
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There can be various reasons for not syncing a folder, such as it being an old folder stored on the server that you no longer need to view its contents in EssentialPIM. The Archiving option is specifically designed for archiving purposes and is recommended to be used.

It is possible to sync a folder's name while excluding its contents from synchronization.