Software Keys Depot

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

techupload
Novice

Software Keys Depot

Post by techupload »

Hi Team,

What is your thought about having a module for storing the software serial keys in the EssentialPIM database?
DaxAtDS9
Expert

Re: Software Keys Depot

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

Notes? Passwordsafe?
From Exchange to Epim Pro with blood, sweat and tears.
English / Deutsch
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I use EPIM portable- Serial keys are stored in EssentialPIM.ini.
What would be the advantage having it in each single database?
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

EPIM isn't secure nor convenient enough for actual passwords* IMO, but it's password module is perfect for software keys.

I use the password module for software keys and license info, and it works great. So I wouldn't think there's much need for module build around them specifically. You can even quickly add new fields in the password module to store various types of keys in an organized way already. especially since a lot of software keys now require login details, I think a software key module would wind up more or less being a copy of the password module with just a couple extra default fields and that's about it.

Now what could be cool, is a template data module. Basically if you had a module where you could build your own templates that acted like the add password / add contact system since than you could quickly and easily create your own module for special needs like a media catalog, software database, code snip-it repository..etc. anything where you needed a static set of fields for data sorting/filtering.

*Not open source, not source available, zero 3rd party auditing, and the way it handles email security makes me seriously question it's commitment to any other security. It's great software, but I wouldn't trust it with sensitive information that I wouldn't be willing to just put in a text file on my desktop.
techupload
Novice

Post by techupload »

Good discussion. I think I will proceed with importing the serial keys on to Password depot. Thanks, everyone.