WEPIM not responding when switching to Contacts

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

kdgdr
Guru

WEPIM not responding when switching to Contacts

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,
  1. I upgraded to WEPIM Pro Portable 11.5.1 and I added a Gmail-account to my EPIM database (before, it had no account in Email module).
    Since then, WEPIM no longer responds every single time I try to switch to the Contacts module - only solution is to end the epim task in Task Manager.
  2. The issue seems to be caused by adding a Gmail account: If I open a previous version of my database in 11.5.1, WEPIM doesn't freeze when I switch to contacts module. But as soon as I add my Gmail-account to it, a switch to Contacts-module makes EPIM freeze.
  3. In real life I cannot switch back to a previous database, so I have to keep using my database mentionned in point 1. above. Unfortunately when I delete the Gmail account from that database and then save it with a new name (just to be on the safe side) that new database afterwards doesn't want to open in 11.5.1.
Please advise.
Thanks in advance.
admin
Site Admin

Re: WEPIM not responding when switching to Contacts

Post by admin »

We might need to take a look at your database file (a stripped version of the file is fine) to provide more information. Adding Google accounts to existing databases on our end doesn't result in similar issues.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

I opened my database mentioned in point 1. of my previous post and switched to Contacts module again, but this time I didn't use Task Manager when it froze: turns out that after a ridiculous amount of time WEPIM did infact unfreeze by itself.
The reason why EPIM froze was that apparently in that database, in the Contacts module, a contact with my own name and contact information was selected. Because I had added my Gmail-account, it took EPIM for ages to list the mails in my Gmail account as related items.
So every time a contact with a lot of emails in my Gmail account is selected, EPIM hangs for a long time because it wants to list all these emails as related items.
Is there an option to exclude mails from related items in the Contacts Module to keep EPIM from hanging?

Knowing what causes the "freeze", I created a new appointment, clicked the "related items" tab and then "Add New": this also "freezes up" EPIM for a considerable amount of time, probably for the same reason - since the Gmail account was added, all emails have to be listed before I can proceed and select an item.
Is there an option to exclude mails from "related items-tab > add new" in any sort of item to keep EPIM from hanging?

If answer to both bold questions is "no", it might be useful to implement these features.

Thanks in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's currently no option to exclude any items from the related items tab. However, we believe that such an option would only address the consequences of the issue rather than the root cause. Instead, we plan to address the issue differently, for example, by implementing a feature to gradually load related items.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Great, thanks a lot for planning to address the issue!

I have some suggestions - I am by no means a developper so they might be complete nonsense, but who knows:
  1. Suggestions listed in https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... 84#p129384
  2. Maybe the "Add new" (via right-click menu or button) - if performed in a specific subtab of related items (like "tasks") - could automatically make the following dialog display only those kinds of items? See example below where only tasks would be displayed, which could save "load-time" (ignoring mails, contacts, appointments, etc. ...).
2023-05-06_154149.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1. Let me comment on these suggested in the linked topic.
2. This one looks good and logical, will check if this can quickly be implemented already in the next update.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Just tested in 6.0.13: incredible improvement, thanks a lot!