Forum Access Oddity

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

CraigS26
Guru

Forum Access Oddity

Post by CraigS26 »

>>>> IMAP HOTMAIL remains functionally great again and THIS is something I can live with, BUT .....

Most every time now ( FF 112 AND EDGE and FF TEST PROFILE) I clk my desktop shtcut
-- https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 -- I get a reduced site page stating under an Information tag -- The forum you selected does not exist.... I can clk a link there TO Support....

THE URL has been STRIPPED of -- ?f=2 --https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/viewforum.php --

ALL I DO.... is Clk + for a 2nd tab, clk SAME Shtcut, and the site Always loads with all URL characters. FYI IF Easy Fix, Disregard if Not...

From FF Forum ..The url is stripped when the forum's session cookie is absent. (not stripped when present)
The issue may be a forum bug. However, the name of the session cookie is AntiBot so the issue may have to do with forum spam protection.
The "AntiBot" string isn't in the forum's code so I guess it's a server side feature, not a client side feature.
The feature should be controllable by the admin, but it may be something like Cloudflare's antibot protection. If the feature is enabled by default, then the admin may not even know about it.
EPIM PRO LIFE 11.8.4 - Win 10 Pro - 22H2 --- ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 - Macrium Pd v8
admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Access Oddity

Post by admin »

Time to time the forum experiences a DDOS attack, which can flood the server with various types of requests. To prevent this from happening, AntiBot controls access rights. We have disabled this mechanism for now, but we may need to turn it back on in the future.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
CraigS26
Guru

Post by CraigS26 »

Thanks for the Reply. No problem IF it returns as needed.
EPIM PRO LIFE 11.8.4 - Win 10 Pro - 22H2 --- ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 - Macrium Pd v8
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Hi there,
I donot quite understand what is described here.
What I guess, is, that it has to do with the "issue" I had for some time now, and which has disappered again:
When clicking on a link which lead to forum main page oder to a forum group in past, it now lead to a page telling me, that the forum doesnot exist. And the adress in adress line of browser was cut off to some extend.
Do I understand that this was due to server settings and I can stop to search for a reasion for this on my side?
And maybe somebody could explain in simple words. what all this that I experienced is about?
Thanks.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

poet-man, in simple words, these were anti-DDoS measures that had their downsides. If everything is working fine for you now, you don't need to do anything else.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!