Save shortcuts in database instead of .ini file

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

DaxAtDS9
Expert

Save shortcuts in database instead of .ini file

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

I am working on pc and laptop via dropbox. I like to optimize my experience with EssentialPim and I do that with new or changed shortcuts, that are corresponding with my german language. But everytime I change my working device, I had to move the .ini file to it or have to reconfigure the shortscuts, as I did on the other device.

My it's worse thinking about.
From Exchange to Epim Pro with blood, sweat and tears.
English / Deutsch
admin
Site Admin

Re: Save shortcuts in database instead of .ini file

Post by admin »

Thanks for the suggestion, noted. Although it wouldn't be a good solution for people working with more than just a single DB on the same PC.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
DaxAtDS9
Expert

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

You’re right. That’s not a good solution.

What about handling it in ”global settings“? User can choose for each installation, if the .ini file is stored „locally“ or “global”.

An installation with “local ini” setting, always uses the local stored .ini file.
An installation with “global ini” setting, always uses the .ini settings stored in the opened database. (Every new DB therefore has to be filled the default .ini content that is now stored in the .ini file)

Switching global settings from “local” to “global” and vice versa prompts an “overwrite warning” if settings in destination shall be overwritten or been kept. If user didn’t cancel the change of the “global setting” than EPim restarts immediately and uses the chosen ini settings.

I don’t know the exact content of the .ini file. Maybe there’s something that speaks against that all. But if not, it will be a feature for “freaks” like me, that play around with settings, because they are working on different devices. And with that “global setting” option as described, it should be usable for users with more than one database on the same pc.

If one opens a DB it’s not important which ini settings are stored in it. EPim uses the settings stored in its installation “global settings”. If “global ini” it, uses setting from within DB, if “local ini” setting, it ignores DB stored settings and uses .ini file as today.
English / Deutsch
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The problem here is that we don't expect many users to use this feature. Therefore, we can add it to our internal to-do list for implementation in the future. However, the chances of it being implemented sooner rather than later aren't that great.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
DaxAtDS9
Expert

Post by DaxAtDS9 »

OK. Only a suggestion ;-)
English / Deutsch