EPIM Taskbar icon missing

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

blaubaer11
Expert

Re: EPIM Taskbar icon missing

Post by blaubaer11 »

Hallo,
leider hat sich mit dem Update auf 11.5 nichts geändert. Ich bekomm das Icon nur als weißes Blatt mit Eselsohr angezeigt.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

I confirm that the icon is back in the 11.5 version of EssentialPim

Thank you.
blaubaer11
Expert

Post by blaubaer11 »

Das ist ja komisch, dass es bei einigen da ist bei anderen nicht. Macht es da eventuell einen Unterschied ob die Pro oder die free-Version genutzt wird?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It shouldn't matter whether you use a Pro or a Free version.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Could it be because two ver. is installed, like beta ver. and stable version and it's picking up the wrong Icon?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't think so as in this case each of the installed versions will be ran from its own folder.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

I was wondering because after I installed 11.5 everything was working great.
I rebooted and the beta ver. loaded, I removed the beta ver., (uninstalled) and rebooted again and 11.5 loaded.
Now all is working fine, better than ever.
Thanks
blaubaer11
Expert

Post by blaubaer11 »

Nach einer nochmaligen Neuinstallation erscheint jetzt auch wieder ein farbiges EPim-Icon. Komischerweise muss ich aber die essentialpim.exe starten um ein Icon zu erhalten. Starte ich die essentialPimfree.exe erscheint überhaupt kein Icon in der Taskleiste obwohl bei beiden Startvarianten die free-Version startet. Aber so ist es für mich okay.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

Unfortunately the icon problem reappeared the day after I upgraded to 11.5. I am running the portable version, and I am using the software on several different computers. Same problem all over the line.
Attachments
iconprob.jpg
iconprob.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 769 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please provide more details about the Windows versions on all the PCs where you are using EssentialPIM? Additionally, is there anything else that these PCs have in common in terms of Windows configuration? For instance, it seems that the Windows scaling settings aren't 100%?
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

The Icon has been good until today, it's back like it was, all white.
No changes have been made to the computer.
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

admin wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:15 pm Could you please provide more details about the Windows versions on all the PCs where you are using EssentialPIM? Additionally, is there anything else that these PCs have in common in terms of Windows configuration? For instance, it seems that the Windows scaling settings aren't 100%?
Hi Admin!

The computer I am working on right now is Windows 10 22H2 (19045.2846).
The scaling is set to 150%, but the taskbar icons is set to "Use small taskbar icons" (I've always had this setting turned on).
If I toggle this setting on/off and restart EPIM, it makes no difference.
The screen resolution is 3840 x 2160 (I've been using this for a long while as well).
I don't think there should be any weird configuration of any kind, as far as I know.

This problem was first introduced with the 11.2.5 version of the software. Never been a problem before.

Cheers
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

So ... time to update this thread with some relevant info.

As mentioned earlier the EssentialPIM software seemed to lose its icon from the 11.2.5 version.

I did some testing on this a few minutes ago and found something interesting:

1. Downloaded the 11.5.1 version of EPIM
2. Unpacked the software to a folder of my choice, using the portable option
3. Started the EssentialPIM.exe, and the icon is present and it seems to work as it should
4. Deleted the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file (my assumption has been that this file is unnecessary as long as I have paid for the software and I have a valid license
5. Starts the EssentialPIM.exe file, and the white letter icon has replaced the EPIM icon
6. Repeats step 1-3 to another folder, and the icon is present again
7. Renames the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file, and now the icon is gone once again ...

... so to sum it up, it seems like you guys in your code are using the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file as a icon resourse for the EssentialPIM.exe file? If the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file for some reason is missing (for instance if it gets deleted under the assumption that you don't need it), you will also experience the icon problem.

It would be fine if other people that has answered in this thread could verify that this also fixes their problem.
It would also be fine if future versions of the software can use the EssentialPIM.exe file as its icon resource for the pro version.

Cheers
Skynet
Experienced

Post by Skynet »

That is ... if the icon would be the only reason to keep the EssentialPIM_Free.exe file in the install folder ...
riveroflaroo
Novice

Post by riveroflaroo »

Hi
I was facing the same problem.. so I checked the icon in the taskbar, and tried to change the icon, to see what would happen.
I found that the icon in the taskbar was looking for a [number].ico file in the temp-folder within the portable version, that was not there

See the image I have attatched

Could it be that it "remembers" the ico-filename from previous versions?

I changed the icon-setting to use the essentialpim.exe file as the icon-file, and my problem is gone

-River
Attachments
error-taskbar-icon.jpg