(UPDATE: FIX FOUND in comment 8) EssentialPIM isn't responding when entering text in Notes on my new Samsung S23

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
GreggTennis
Novice

(UPDATE: FIX FOUND in comment 8) EssentialPIM isn't responding when entering text in Notes on my new Samsung S23

Post by GreggTennis »

I recently switched Android phones from my Samsung Galaxy S10 to Samsung Galaxy S23 in Feb 2023. I transferred my EssentialPIM Pro software from my old phone to my new Samsung S23 (latest version 6.0.10). On my new phone EssentialPIM Pro will often slow to a crawl when entering text (i.e. takes 2-10 seconds for each character) and will then crash and say "EssentialPIM isn't responding." Sometimes it will let me type in a few characters (i.e. 5-20) before slowing to a halt. I've been using EssentialPIM on my previous phones for about 10 years with no major issues. On my new phone I've uninstalled and re-downloaded the latest version of EssentialPIM (6.0.10) but the same extremely slow and crashes still occur. Anybody else exerience this issue or have a fix?
Last edited by GreggTennis on Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Re: EssentialPIM isn't responding when entering text in Notes on my new Samsung S23

Post by admin »

Maybe that's because you said you transferred the app from one phone to another. If you try to get it from the Google Play store, will there be any difference?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
GreggTennis
Novice

Re: EssentialPIM isn't responding when entering text in Notes on my new Samsung S23

Post by GreggTennis »

Hi Admin,

Thanks for your reply. I had thought the same thing and have already uninstalled and re-downloaded the latest version of EssentialPIM (6.0.10) from Google Play Store but the same extremely slow response and crashes still occur (I tried this twice).
I also tried the following with no resolution:
1) Restarted phone.
2) Cleared app storage cache.
3) Checked for Google Play System updates and I have the latest (Jan 1, 2023) for Android 13.

This issue has stopped me from being able to add Note entries in EssentialPIM. Please help.
GreggTennis
Novice

Post by GreggTennis »

Clarification Update from GreggTennis.

My extremely slow appearing text and "EssentialPIM isn't responding" issue is with Note leafs that were created on my old phone and then transferred to my new phone (i.e. restored from old phone backup). I created a new Note leaf in EssentialPIM Pro on my new phone and copy/pasted the text from the problem leaf but the crashes still occur. I've even tried copy/pasting just a portion of the text from the problem leaf to a new leaf and this didn't help. It almost seems like there is some hidden character somewhere in my problem leaf that is causing this issue so I tried the paste option of "pasting as plain text" but this didn't help. I also tried copying the text and pasting to the Samsung doc app and then copying this text from the Samsung doc back to a new leaf but the crashing still occurred. Very frustrating as I've spent many hours trying to figure this out.

I can create a new leaf and type in text and I haven't had any crashing issues.

Anybody have any suggestions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can try to sync your notes from your old phone to the new one via WinEPIM, in this case we can eliminate any possible backup file related issues.
GreggTennis
Novice

Post by GreggTennis »

Hi Admin,

Thanks for your info on trying to sync my notes from my old phone via WinEPIM. This will not fix my issues as I've already copy/pasted portions of text from notes on my old phone and sent them to my new phone via email and then copy/pasted to a new leaf Note on my new phone and this new leaf Note will have the same crashes. It seems to be something with the EssentialPIM Pro software itself. Do you have a beta version of EssentialPIM Pro that I can test to see if it fixes my problem?

- GreggTennis
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not at the moment, unfortunately.
GreggTennis
Novice

Post by GreggTennis »

***** I FOUND THE FIX FOR THIS VERY FRUSTRATING ISSUE *****

After much troubleshooting I found a fix for my aggravating text entering crashes. Here it is.
Fix#1: In my Samsung S23 phone 'Settings' I went to 'General Management', then 'Samsung Keyboard Settings', then 'Suggest text corrections' and toggle off "English (US)." To say I'm extremely relieved to find a fix is a big understatement!!!!!

Fix#2: Just previous to finding above Fix#1 I found another fix by toggling off 'Predictive text' in the 'Samsung Keyboard Settings'. I really like the Predictive Text feature so I investigated further to find the better fix I listed above in Fix#1.

Still not EXACTLY sure why this is causing crashes on my new Samsung S23 phone only but of course is some type of conflict between new phone and EPIM software.

My perseverance with this painful problem has paid off ;)

- GreggTennis