Send / Receive Mail: Connection Closed Gracefully

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Borkum20
Novice

Send / Receive Mail: Connection Closed Gracefully

Post by Borkum20 »

I have been receiving this error message for the past eight days whenever I send and receive email from my main email account. I am running EPIM Pro v11.2.4, the latest version, on a windows 10, 64 bit install. I have been doing this for the past number of years. I use EPIM for 4 separate email accounts from AOL, Gmail and Yahoo. The only email account not working at this time is my main Yahoo account. I have approximately 7 years of email with a database of approximately 9 GB in size. It varies, from a high of 15GB to 8GB, depending when I run an archive. I remember getting this error a while back but I have no recollection on how I resolved it. I have tried everything I can think of, to no avail. I have deleted some large attachment emails, both in and outbound. I have optimized, checked the credentials and have even changed my credentials, again to no avail. I have moved the DB to two additional Windows computers, one desktop (running Win 7) and a laptop (running Win 10) and have gotten the same behavior. I am all ears guys, if you have a suggestion.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Send / Receive Mail: Connection Closed Gracefully

Post by admin »

Depending on when you Yahoo mail account was added into EPIM, you might need to re-authorize using the following scheme:
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/generate-mana ... 15241.html
And removing and then adding the account back should also work.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Borkum20
Novice

Post by Borkum20 »

I have generated a new secure mail code a number of times, but I just did it again to make sure I did it on the correct PC. The error is the same. When you say "removing and then adding the account back should also work", are you suggesting removing the account and adding it back to EPIM? Is there a way to do that without losing the data associated with that email account? Thanks for the suggestion.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Adding to Borkum20, I'd like to understand this as well.

If the account is totally IMAP and all folders synced, then of course there is no issue at all. But if some folders weren't synced, or POP3 was used and some folders are local how do we change accounts and also, how do we move to a new computer? Must the unsynced emails be exported as eml and then imported to the new account or computer?

Is there a simpler way?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borkum20, the error "Connection Closed Gracefully" is usually caused by the server, as to why it does that not always clear. If that's an IMAP type of email account, all data is stored on the server, so removing the account and then adding it back wouldn't cause any data loss. Another option would be to create a new EPIM database file and add your account into it. Will it work as expected then?

Steve Shank, what do you mean by saying "change accounts"? You can take your EPIM db and open it on a new PC, if I understood your question correctly.
Borkum20
Novice

Post by Borkum20 »

I guess I should have stated that the account is a POP3 account.
Borkum20
Novice

Post by Borkum20 »

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried exporting all email to eml and then importing it to a new DB or if anyone has tried creating a new DB by Archiving from old to new? Any problems or gotcha's?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In this case you can create a new DB, add the account into it, check if all works as expected and if so, you'll be able to export emails from the old db and then import them into the new one.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

admin wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:20 pm
Steve Shank, what do you mean by saying "change accounts"? You can take your EPIM db and open it on a new PC, if I understood your question correctly.
Do you just take the xxx.epim file or do we take the entire EssentialPIM Pro folder?

This will handle one question, moving to a new computer.

By change accounts, I mean that I frequently hear the advice to setup a new account on the same computer. It is easy to understand if all the emails are on their server. But, if POP3, or some synced with an IMAP account and some not synced, then how to we get it straightened out of we need to rebuild the database?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All your data is stored in the *.epim database file. Hope that answers your question about moving your data to the new PC. Some additional info can also be find here: https://essentialpim.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... I-proceed-

Why would you need to "rebuild" your database?
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

@admin
Why would you need to "rebuild" your database?
Sometimes things go wrong. I assume this is hard for those living in heaven to believe, but here on Earth, its a fact. In the past it has not been uncommon for say, an index to point to a record which no isn't there or some similar mismatch. This is one reason the SQL command to re-index the entire database exists. One solution Thunderbird has for problems is to delete the index files and then Thunderbird will re-generate them.

When I frequently hear the advice to setup your IMAP account again, that sounds to me like you are saying, Your database is corrupt but the one on the server is probably ok, so restart your database using the information on their server.

When Quickbooks, for example, backs up their file, they try to get the user to let it check and correct any problems it finds. This strikes me as prudent. Not having the ability to fix a problem that could exist because of an unexpected shutdown before all the data was written, or some other hardware failure, let alone the infinitely small possibility of a software error, strikes some of us old-timers as imprudent.
CraigS26
Guru

Post by CraigS26 »

Wild guess.... You mentioned Changing Your Credentials. AT&T emails for -- at bellsouth.net -- (imap.mail.yahoo.com / smtp.mail.yahoo.com) changed to requiring (I think for OAuth) a 15-digit Code issued via the MyATT account after login. Old Password , or password style, ceased. With Yahoo mail involved for Both of us IS there ANY Chance this may be a similar requirement change in your case?
EPIM PRO LIFE 11.8.4 - Win 10 Pro - 22H2 --- ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 - Macrium Pd v8
Borkum20
Novice

Post by Borkum20 »

As far as the credentials issue, I set the OAuth code a while back and it has been functioning fine for quite some time, until 2/2/2023, at which time the send/receive stopped working.
CraigS26
Guru

Post by CraigS26 »

I only Fixed my issue with Hotmail Send Authentication failures by -- converting to Exchange protocol -- per Admin's suggestion.
Don't know if THAT's a choice with POP3 but some unique approach seems required as with me.
EPIM PRO LIFE 11.8.4 - Win 10 Pro - 22H2 --- ESET EIS Prem - Mbam Prem - Diskeeper Pro '15 - Macrium Pd v8
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve Shank, setting up an account again (if needed) has nothing to do with the database integrity. There's auto check and repair mechanisms built into EPIM. Normally, no "rebuild" is ever required.