Two New Problems

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Problematic
Experienced

Two New Problems

Post by Problematic »

1. After restarting to finish updating a few drivers, when I opened EPIM, it was no longer in English, but was using the recent synced file I had created to fix a problem (dealt with another exchange here.) I then tried opening the last calendar in use before creating the new one, which also opened in a wrong language. By clicking on various places, I found the language list, so I changed to English, and then tried to open my recently created file, which was no longer there. Neither of these problems was overly appreciated.

2. EPIM's icon is now on the left side of the taskbar, instead of in hidden icons list when I minimize it. How do I fix this>
admin
Site Admin

Re: Two New Problems

Post by admin »

1. Was that with the Portable version? If so, the language EPIM opened with was likely Danish?
2. You can change which icons to show or to hide in the notifications area settings in Windows.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

1. No, not the portable version.
2. Yes, I know that, but that is not what I was asking about, which is, why is the icon showing on the left side of the task bar, along with icons for apps such as my browser and email. The icon is set in Windows to be hidden, but is not in the notifications area where it belongs and always has been until yesterday.
3. New complaint: Why are task reminders now accompanied by a blaring sound. I can find no sound setting, and searching the help file for "sounds" returns no information.
4. Just a comment: Suddenly Ctrl-Shft-S would not open EPIM, but would collapse it back to the misplaced icon. Closing and opening the program fixed that.

Also incidentally, the forum seems to have stopped sending reply notifications.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

I completely removed EPIM Free and reinstalled it. At least it started in English, but it still has its icon on the task bar in the wrong section thereof. This is not something I have previously
encountered.

The new installation appears to be a bit lazy, as sometimes I have to use Crtl-Shft-S to get the window to open.

In the realm of continuing oddness, I found how to make EPIM open with the calendar, and now cannot find again where I made that change.
DG
Beta Team

Post by DG »

Problematic,

Re: having EPIM open with the calendar, go to Tools > Options > General and select the "Last opened module" option. Otherwise, EPIM starts with the Today page.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

No such entry in Tools > Options > General. As I wrote earlier, I found an entry for starting with Calendar, a entry now I cannot find again.

For that matter Control/Shift/S now does not want to open EPIM, at least not after computer had been asleep four hours or so. If I click on the wrong task bar icon, it will open, and then the short cut will close and open it.

I have never encountered so many problems with EPIM; very frustrating at best.
S_Belle
Guru

Post by S_Belle »

Hope this helps.
Attachments
2022-12-21_201244.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2. I'm not sure what you mean. Please attach a screenshot to illustrate the issue.
3. Click on the settings button for reminders if you wish to disable sounds.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

You just want to add to my frustration, right?

Seriously,I don't know of what you want a screen shot I have one of the misplaced EPIM icon, and I used to have a program for posting from a computer to a forum that cannot accept images directly. Not having used one for a long time, I no longer have one, and to frustrate me yet further, multiple Web searches for such programs have turned up only ones that are also photo editors. I have PaintShot Pro, I don't want an editor, I only want an image transfer program. I even searched in Mozillazine for a while, as I know there have been posts of what I need, but did not find any such entries.

Kindly bail me out with both a note as to what you in a screen shot and at least one program to send it to the forum.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

I found a program for posting; it was the first such in yet another search so I grabbed it. The screen shot clearly shows the miscreant EPIM icon.

https://paste.pics/183cc7087a55ec6a84f07cdcd0fa87be
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, so now when we see where the icon you talk about is, please mark a spot on the screenshot where you expect it to be instead (hope you understand that once a program is opened, Windows will always show the app's icon on the task bar).
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

I expect it be where I have said, more than once, hidden, and is so set in Windows/Setings/Other System Tray Icons/Off. It is NOT in the System Tray, period, it is ALWAYS on the Task Bar, but NEVER in the System Tray.

This is entirely new to me: I have NEVER see the icon where it is now except when I have opened it with a shortcut , and I have no understanding of why it is there instead of where it belongs and until recently has always been. I could take another screen shot, but all that would do is NOT SHOW EPIM, which is NOT OPEN until I click on the MISPLACED ICON.

I trust that this makes matter clear for you. I won't even apologize for the upper-case words, as I am really frustrated by a program that suddenly does not work for me.

One thing I forgotten to post more than once is Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (OS Build 222521.963), which was a recent update. I don't know if the EPIM problems started with that update, so cannot state that there is a recent Windows version problem with EPIM.
VictorParkerPIM
Guru

Post by VictorParkerPIM »

Problematic,
This maybe the problem:
Right click Epim desktop icon, select other options at bottom of dropdown menu.
Find unpin from taskbar, hope this helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think the option you're looking for is in Tools->Options->General, simply enable the "Minimize to system tray" checkbox.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

That is too simple to work, but to prove that it won't, I clicked on it and closed EPIM, whereupon the rogue icon left the taskbar and went into the hidden icon lists. I have no idea why I did not notice that option in the several times I scanned the Options, I just did not see it.

Before I started to write this, I checked my bank account, where I was happy to find the two micro deposits that, as soon as I verify them, should solve a serious problem with another program. This was after three two-hour or so support calls where agents really tried to help, but just wasted my time. Finally, during the third call, the agent transferred me to a supervisor who found the problem in less than thirty minutes.

Two solutions before 0615 hours local, a good way to start the day.

When and if I remember, I shall say thank you very much, it was certainly appreciated.