Recurring Events destroyed or deleted when synchronizing between a PC and the Android-version

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
heribert007

Recurring Events destroyed or deleted when synchronizing between a PC and the Android-version

Post by heribert007 »

Hi Everybody,

there´s a problem, which has appeared several times in the past (!) and has reappeared now after an update of EssPIM Pro
- causing problems right now (05. Oct. 22) again.

I have been using EssPIM Pro for years (since V 6.55). Depending on the version of EssPIM Pro installed the handling of recurring events
keeps causing problems, right now more than ever.

*** Situation:
- EssPIM Pro 11.0.3 on Win7, both german, both latest version/update,
- EssPIM (lastest version/update) on Samsung Note 8 with Android 8.0.0,
- Synch´ing both ways locally via WiFi, WinPC <-> Android, no other synch´ing with Google, any cloud or whatever.
- both sides having the same time zone,
- This configuration has not been changed or modified recently. It worked okay until now.

*** Problem:
The configuration mentioned above has worked fine until the last (or a previous) update. Right now recurring events are often (but not always) destroyed or deleted when synchronizing: three problems (amongst others):
- The start-time of events is (sometimes) set to 0:00 o´clock,
- events disappear (sometimes),
- the phone and the WinPC-Side have different contents immediately after synch´ing - as far as the calendar is concerned.

Restarting the phone or the PC or the program on the PC-Side - bevor or after synch´ing - doesn´t help.

I cannot reproduce the problem, it just appears without an obvious reason. It seems to appear particularly often,
when ONE event that is part of a series has been modified or deleted.

*** Comment:
It would be nice if this problem gets fixed - not just for one particular version of EssPIM Pro, but instead once and forever. :|
Furthermore: I am urgently looking for a fix, quickfixes or help.
____

Thank you.

Regards
H.
poet-man
Guru

Re: Recurring Events destroyed or deleted when synchronizing between a PC and the Android-version

Post by poet-man »

Hi there,

that's exactly the situation I've encountered for ages now. It comes about from time to time, without being able to repro any system behind it.

Sometimes it helped to delete and recreate the recurring event, and first it seemed to be it, but at some time the "feature" appeared again.
The problem is, one doesnot know where this comes from. And it always takes lotes of time and energy to get it right again.

In some of these situations one or more (as far as I remember) of the events of the series becomes standalone.
What is very often the case, without knowing whether this is of any relevance to the problem, is the fact, that categories get duplicated. So after wi-fi syncing a category is there twice or even more often, on either side.

As it has been expressed ... it is very annoying to handle these problems over an over again. This would have to be experienced by lots of tests by astonsoft as it is very difficult/even impossible to repro it and copy it to a screenshot or video, as it is not clear at all, when and where it happens. What is clear, is, that it happens again and again.
And in my opinion it is something which is connected to Samsung devices, as it seems (which I cannot prove), that every time I read about this, it has to do with a Samsung smartphone.

What is sure however, is, that this problem exists for ages now and has been reported many times.
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
kb5cth
Guru

Re: Recurring Events destroyed or deleted when synchronizing between a PC and the Android-version

Post by kb5cth »

Admin,

I can confirm the "Samsung" aspect of this problem:
While attempting to fix an unrelated issue, I created a new database on desktop and synced my data into it using your EPIM Synchronizer program. When I synced the new database to my Android Samsung S9+, it duplicated many, but not all, of my recurring appointments, but made the duplicates *non-recurring* after the date of the sync. I ended up with several duplicate appointments, one instance recurring, the other non-recurring.
Additionally, the duplicated appointments were on a duplicated calendar created during the sync process. This duplicate was named the same as the original, so I had 2 calendars with exactly the same name. Once the Dupe Remover program removed all of the duplicate appointments created by the sync, the duplicate calendar was empty (and I could tell which one was original and which was created mistakenly) and I was able to delete it.

I hope this helps,

Bill L
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Guys, we need to see the logs files in order to be able to understand what's causing the issue. So whenever you notice it happening again, in WinEPIM click on Tools->Options->Synchronization, Browse..., locate the last modified file that starts with "AndroidSync", forward it to me via a personal message and mention names of the events affected. Thank you!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
AlessandroPetrolini

Post by AlessandroPetrolini »

Exactly the same as described by heribert007 happens to me since a few weeks in a non reproducible way.
Just disabled sync to see if it still happens.