No Appointments, No Reminders

If you are using Free version, please post your questions here. Please note, Free version support is done on a low priority basis.

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Problematic
Experienced

No Appointments, No Reminders

Post by Problematic »

Windows 11 Pro, 21H2; EssentialPIM Free, Version 11.1

I am not getting any reminders nor appointments.

One example: A while ago I created a new appointment for 0600 tomorrow, with just the word "Test', and set a reminder for five minutes. Thirty minutes or so later, I have not receive that reminder.

I already had two appointments set for today, both of which should have appeared at 0600; neither one has appeared so far, and it is now 1110 hours local.

What should I do to fix this?
admin
Site Admin

Re: No Appointments, No Reminders

Post by admin »

We're unable to reproduce this issue. Please create a new DB file (File->New->EPIM Data File) and create an event in the past and set reminder to 0 minutes. Will it work then?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

Yes, that worked, but when I then loaded an existing DB file, which has all of my repeating events which I would not want to lose, recreated the event that I had set for a five-minute reminder but this time set for zero minutes, it did not appear.

That would seem to me to be saying that the DB file is corrupt; however, i found another DB which has my data, and that, too, failed to show me a zero-minute reminder for an event set for tomorrow.

This may be related to one of my favorite preposterous ordinances, from a town in Ohio which commanded its volunteer fire department to check the fire hydrant nearest the fire one hour before the receipt of the fire alarm! As a now retired fire chief, I have long wondered how the fire department dealt with that inanity.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd recommend you to synchronize your database file into the new one using EPIM Synchronizer (https://www.essentialpim.com/features/f ... nchronizer). Most likely the reminders will start working again then. Thanks!
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

Thank you for that advice.

Strangely, the two test appointments that I created yesterday, which did not appear with a zero-minute reminder, showed up on time (0600 hours local) this morning.

That being so, I have since created three new tasks set for various dates and times, all of which were also set for zero-minute reminders, and all three such reminders showed up. I have an every Saturday 0600 task, so I am going to wait to see if that works before I make any changes.

The only change of my computer of which I am aware was yesterday morning, when Dell installed a System update, whatever that is, and which called for a restart.

Any conclusions you can gather from this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hard to say, when something works, then it doesn't and then it starts working again and all that with the same version of the app, I'd assume something else influences this?
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

Well, yes, probably affected by the phase of the moon, and or whatever. At any rate, as of now, it is working correctly, with three reminders appearing on schedule last Saturday morning.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to know! Hope it keeps working this way :)
Frizzell9
Expert

Post by Frizzell9 »

I haven't been able to get EPIM to remind me of my tasks since I installed it on my new Dell computer (Windows 11 Home). I've tried creating new databases... uninstalling and reinstalling. I even put the portable version on it to see if that would work. I didn't.

I can get a task to remind me a first time, and then it never reminds me again, even though the task successfully renews itself. At this point I give up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Frizzell9
Image EPIM Pro User Since 2006

"Why a four year old child could understand this.
Run out and get me a four year old child,
I can't make head or tail out of it."
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Could you please record a small video on a new database showing the process? Say, you create a new event, set up the reminder, then once you get it, snooze for 1 minute, wait and see what happens. Thanks.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

I had an odd one Saturday: The usual Saturday reminder appeared, but a second one that is set for day five of every month did not even though day five happened to occur on Saturday.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Would you be able to reproduce the problem? If yes, please provide us with a list of steps. Thanks!
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

Sure, next time that there is a day five in a month, such as this coming December, but that won't be on a Saturday, so `sure' may not be an operative word.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What you could do is to create couple of sample events on a closer date and then observe how they behave.
Problematic
Experienced

Post by Problematic »

Yes, that is on my agenda. I shall eventually do that and might even remember to report the result.