Handling of regenerating tasks

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
kdgdr
Guru

Handling of regenerating tasks

Post by kdgdr »

Hi,

Please note:
  • This topic is entirely about tasks that regenerate ... days/months/weeks/years after completion, so tasks with a setting like this:
    01.png
  • Such tasks are handled totally different and way better in AEPIM 6.0.5 than in earlier AEPIM versions, which is why I created a new topic regarding issues since AEPIM 6.0.5 - rather than adding everything below to the somewhat related topic https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... hp?t=37011
  • Most things in this post are about how AEPIM and WEPIM handle these regenerating tasks in a different way. So I wasn't sure if it was better to post in AEPIM or WEPIM forum. Feel free to move it if I made the wrong choice.

ISSUE A:
All first items in a series get wrong duration after completion (yellow), it doesn't matter if they were completed in WEPIM or in AEPIM:
02.png
This issue does not obstruct my personal EPIM workflow, but I noticed it while testing so I added it FYI.

ISSUE B:
After completing a task that is in the past, both AEPIM and WEPIM create a new task occurence in the future (green) which is correct. But if these green tasks are completed while they are still in the future:
  • WEPIM creates a new occurence again (blue), with same start/end time as the green occurence
  • AEPIM creates a new occurence again (yellow), with start/end time that is even further in the future than the green occurence
Both AEPIM and WEPIM should handle this in the same way, otherwise completing these kinds of tasks will create confusion and doubt because behaviour is different depending on where (in AEPIM or in WEPIM) a task was completed.

IMHO both AEPIM and WEPIM handle these future tasks the wrong way upon completion. The setting is called "Regenerate new tasks ... after completion date". As such, if I have time to complete a task today (16/09/2022) while it was actually planned in the future (20/09/2022), the new occurence should be generated on 26/09/2022 (if set to "10 days after completion") and not on 20/09/2022 (current WEPIM behaviour - blue) or not on 30/09/2022 (current AEPIM behaviour - yellow). Because "Regenerate new tasks ... after completion date" implies that the new task start/end time depends only on when a previous occurence was completed, no matter when a previous occurence was planned.

So please implement same behaviour in AEPIM and WEPIM, preferrably the one I just described in italic.
03.png

ISSUE C:
If the first task in a series takes multiple days (green) ...
  • completing this task in WEPIM will result in a new task that also takes multiple days (blue), which is correct. In fact, it is perfect IMO: note that the first blue task has start date on 18/09/2022, because the green task above was completed on 15/09/2022. This is better than if the first blue task would have end date on 18/09/2022. So no changes needed whatsoever in WEPIM behaviour.
  • completing this task in AEPIM will result in a new task that takes only one day (yellow), which is wrong. This issue of course is repeated with every new occurence (orange).
Please make AEPIM behave like WEPIM regarding this issue.
04.png

FEATURE REQUEST:
I would also like to add this feature request - it's kind of a mix between the red functinoality and the green functionalities that are different for Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly:
05.png
Use case example:
Let 's say I have a task ...
  • ... that for some reason I can only get around to on Thursdays
  • ... and there 's no point in doing this tasks more often than every 3 weeks
  • ... and I just want to remind myself of maybe doing the task at the appropriate day and interval, but it's not that big of a deal if I skip the task for a few weeks.
In this case I would need to set the task to "Regenerate on the 3rd Thursday after completion date".

Hope this all helps and is detailed enough to reproduce.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Handling of regenerating tasks

Post by admin »

ISSUE A: this is by design. If you managed to complete a task X days after its due date, the duration is considered to be up to the completion date.

ISSUE B: in WinEPIM a new task is generated precisely after the X number of days from the completion date. If that's not the case for you, please make a short video demonstrating that.
AEPIM: confirm that it acts a bit differently comparing to WinEPIM, will adjust this.

ISSUE C: unable to reproduce in AEPIM. What should be the task's settings? Please share a screenshot.

FEATURE REQUEST: Thanks, will take this into consideration.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!