EPIM v11 - A problem with recurring tasks

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Humphr3y
Novice

EPIM v11 - A problem with recurring tasks

Post by Humphr3y »

Hello,

I need a reminder for a certain task to occur every week, three times a week. So I created such a task on EPIM, and everything worked fine until v11; since v11, something's wrong and as soon as the first occurrence of the task is completed, the task loses any advanced setting and turns itself into a "once a week" one. I can try to explain it by reproducing the problem:
  • Create a new task, starting on whatever date you choose, and set it to repeat weekly - in the advanced settings, set the recurring pattern (e.g.) for Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, No end date. This is my case
  • Mark the first occurrence as completed (no matter whether it is on due date/time or not - no matter if it's before or after due date/time). The task will now skip to the next one: if the first date set for the task is a Monday, it will show two days later, on a Wednesday
  • Mark off the second occurrence as well (again, no difference regarding due date/time). The task will NOT go to the next day (Friday): it will jump a week and will show on your calendar for the next Wednesday. And if you edit the task, you'll see it's now set to occur weekly, ONCE A WEEK, on a Wednesday.
From what I can see, this only affects the tasks that need to occur multiple times a week.

Thank you for any (very much needed) help on this.
admin
Site Admin

Re: EPIM v11 - A problem with recurring tasks

Post by admin »

Thanks very much for the detailed description of the problem. Can confirm it, will be fixed in the next version.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
mrkwhlbrk
Novice

Post by mrkwhlbrk »

I'm having a problem with recurring tasks as well, perhaps the fix noted above will work on this as well:

If I set a task to regenerate a new task 1 day after completion, the notice confirms "Regenerates new task 1 day(s) after completion date". Then when click to complete the task, the newly created task will not retain the "regenerate new tasks" setting but will revert to a hard repeat: "Repeats every 1 day(s)" Often the start date changes to an older date as well.

For me this happens for any repeating task, not just one that occurs multiple times a week.
rick.ca
Novice

Post by rick.ca »

Just to add to the above...

I use about 25 recurring tasks of various types. EPIM is sync'd to two Android devices over home WiFi. There is nothing else (like Google) involved. After much testing, I find the sync settings are simply being lost. All of them. First a few on each Android device, and then after a number of sync's they are all lost. In WEPIM they appear to be retained, but cannot be sync'd back to the Android devices to restore the settings there. After some time, they too disappear. I suspect some or all the WEPIM settings are lost at the same time as the Android, but falsely show the recurrence icon.

Since most of my tasks are recurring, this bug has rendered the module unusable. A quick fix will be much appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mrkwhlbrk, we're unable to reproduce this problem. Please describe it in as much details as possible, preferably with a list of steps and couple of screenshots or a small video. Thanks!

rick.ca, we need a detailed list of steps here, as well. Thanks.
mrkwhlbrk
Novice

Post by mrkwhlbrk »

I created a task with a daily repeat set to regenerate new tasks 1 day after completion. You can see the notice at the top confirms this.
Test Recurring Repeat 01.jpg
Then I mark the task complete, and the start date advances by one day as expected.
Test Recurring Repeat 02.jpg
But when opening the task again, the I find that when I marked the task complete, it unexpectedly reset the repeat to a regular repeating task instead of regenerating the task after completion, as seen in the notice at the top.
Test Recurring Repeat 03.jpg
rick.ca
Novice

Post by rick.ca »

​A1 = AEPIM 6 on Android 7 tablet.
A2 = AEPIM 6 on Android 7 phone.
EPIM = WEPIM 11 on Windows 10 PC.

1. Create task with recurrence = 'regenerate in 2 days'; sync A1 and A2.
​2. Record completion on A1 and sync. Task is correctly updated in EPIM.
​3. Sync A2. Task recurrence lost on A2 but intact in EPIM.
​4. Sync A1. Task recurrence intact on A1 and in EPIM.
​5. Sync A2. Task recurrence unchanged.
​6. Sync A1. Task recurrence lost on A1 and EPIM.

More syncs may be required. Yesterday I had to sync a quite a few times after all recurrences on A1 and A2 were lost before they also disappeared from EPIM.

The issue began after updating from version 10.x to 11. I updated the Android devices from version 5.x to 6 while testing yesterday. That did not seem to make any difference.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mrkwhlbrk, still unable to reproduce this. What's your EPIM version number?

rick.ca, unable to reproduce starting with step 3 - task recurrence wasn't lost. What's your EPIM version?
rick.ca
Novice

Post by rick.ca »

11.0.3. The problem started before then, probably 11.0.2.

I was surprised my steps produced the error so quickly. Based on my previous testing, I had expected a number of iterations of alternately syncing the two Android devices would be necessary. When I was testing 25 tasks, only 5 errors occurred at first. How many syncs did you try?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We went up until the step number 3 as the rest of the steps you mentioned were just consequences of the problem appeared earlier. Please forward us the sync log file right after the problem occurred, which in the above example would be step #3. Thanks!
Humphr3y
Novice

Post by Humphr3y »

admin wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:13 pm Thanks very much for the detailed description of the problem. Can confirm it, will be fixed in the next version.
First of all, thank you for answering. I'm sure you already know this, but the problem seems to be extended to whatever recurring task that has advanced time settings (e.g. if you set it to occur every other month, after the first occurrence it will become a monthly one).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, this is the same issue.
mrkwhlbrk
Novice

Post by mrkwhlbrk »

I'm running 11.0.3. The problem started earlier, I'm not sure if it was 11.0.2 or 11.0.1. FWIW, I created a new database and added a new task as shown above in the screenshots, I got the same result.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mrkwhlbrk, would appreciate if you could record a small video as we're still unable to reproduce the problem.
rick.ca
Novice

Post by rick.ca »

I can reproduce the problem mrkwhlbrk describes. I wonder if this is the root cause of what I believed to be a syncing issue. From my original steps to reproduce,

"2. Record completion on A1 and sync. Task is correctly updated in EPIM."

The task is not correctly updated. Regardless of the syncing in step 1, if I had opened the task and examined the advanced repeat settings, I would have known this. It changed from regenerating to repeating. Once such an error is introduced, there may be no point in pondering why syncing makes it worse.

Video attached for the unconvinced. :wink:
Attachments
20220802 EPIM regenerating to recurring.MP4
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 69 times