Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

firstoftwins
Guru

Re: calendar module won't sync or be imported

Post by firstoftwins »

ecsaltz wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:24 am
I am not happy.

How can I get the traditional sync behavior return to the cell phone that the tablet continues to enjoy?
As you can see by the answer given by admin, users from old who have relied on EPIM to seamlessly sync their WinEPIM calendars with their Android devices for years without issue can now only sync them with an EPIM-generated external calendar, and the developers in their hubris won’t be going back to that older more sensible and simple system. I’m not going to fool around with this buggy little app now that it has built-in flaws any longer. I use Lastpass for passwords, anyway, and Microsoft 365 for all my other needs. I’ll find a better cross-platform app for my Calendar, and if I don’t get along with Diarium, for example, I’ll buy another calendar app or just sync it with Microsoft Calendar and get used to that. It works seamlessly across both platforms.
btbow42

Post by btbow42 »

It looks like I am not alone with the problem of the EPIM Calendar module NOT syncing with my Pixel 6.
My desktop computer - Windows 10 Pro - EPIM version 11.0.3 free
Android - Pixel 6 - EPIM version 5.8.7

Until a week or so ago, all seemed to be well with EPIM.. Then my Pixel 6 phone overheated and Google had to replace it.

Since I re-installed EPIM free, the calendar module from the desktop will not sync with the new Pixel 6, although, anniversary events did sync.

Since browsing other posts here, I do now notice the Local Calendars module on my desktop, as well as a 2nd module for Google Pixel 6.
I do not understand what is the purpose of these new modules. If I click on one or the other, I see no difference on my calendar.

My issue is just not being able to sync current calendar events, BUT also trying to restore almost 2900 existing (past & Future) calendar events.

I hope someone can explain why I can not sync my calendars as I have easily done for the past 7 yr or so.

Some of these past entries originated in Lotus Organizer from the late 90s. When Organizer was no longer supported, I had to find a way to move my database to another program, and EPIM offered the option of importing .*csv files from Lotus Organizer..

Looking for a workable solution... please

Bruce
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

I would like to offer a possible solution to make everyone happy: EPIM developers and long term EPIM end users alike.

EPIM Developers, add a checkbox option (in the Options -> Calendar window) that whenever sync with an Android cell phone occurs, the WinEPIM local calendar(s) are first sync-ed with the new Android specific calendar in WinEPIM, then with AEPIM. In effect, for traditional EPIM users, the AEPIM syncing we are use to will be available. That should not interfere with the newer services approach for those who want that.

I will "go out on a limb" and assume most of the software development codebase for doing this already exists. As a software developer myself, I know I am making a lot of assumptions about the issues of doing this (future maintenance, un-expected complications, etc.), but it may be worthwhile in the long run to make a lot of long term end users happy.

Just my thoughts for consideration.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

btbow42, I believe you've already been assisted via email. We ask that you do not duplicate your requests using different support channels as this will not reduce response time.

ecsaltz, something like that is in the plans. We are going to offer a new option in the upcoming new version of EPIM (11.0.4?), which will allow you to choose which WinEPIM calendar to use for direct synchronization with AEPIM.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:47 am btbow42, I believe you've already been assisted via email. We ask that you do not duplicate your requests using different support channels as this will not reduce response time.

ecsaltz, something like that is in the plans. We are going to offer a new option in the upcoming new version of EPIM (11.0.4?), which will allow you to choose which WinEPIM calendar to use for direct synchronization with AEPIM.
Thank you. The tradition of EPIM listening to and responding to end user's concerns continues!
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
firstoftwins
Guru

Post by firstoftwins »

It seems that even paying a monthly subscription to EPIMCloud can't get users over this new hurdle set by the developers of ver 11+ to reject efforts to sync their calendars with AEPIM; WinEPIM refuses to allow its newly-named 'Local calendars' to sync with EPIMCloud, even after toggling 'Calendar' in the list of modules to sync.

Or am I terribly wrong? There are no calendar entries on my AEPIM devices after linking them to the EPIMCloud.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Only calendars under EPIM Cloud account are synchronized with EPIM Cloud. Local calendars stay local in EPIM.
firstoftwins
Guru

Post by firstoftwins »

admin wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:10 pm Only calendars under EPIM Cloud account are synchronized with EPIM Cloud. Local calendars stay local in EPIM.
Not much point in continuing to pay monthly subs to Astonsoft cloud services if they won't sync my local calendar, then. I've submitted my cancellation. Can't reward bad behaviour.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can move any of the local calendars into EPIM Cloud account (right click on a calendar, choose Properties and select the desired account).
Your cancellation request has been honoured.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:47 am btbow42, I believe you've already been assisted via email. We ask that you do not duplicate your requests using different support channels as this will not reduce response time.

I am now on WEPIM v11.0.4 and AEPIM v6.0.1. I am truly happy with the way WEPIM now syncs a selected calendar with AEPIM...it's perfect!
firstoftwins
Guru

Post by firstoftwins »

It's been months since these issues came about and nothing's been done to sort them out. I'm so glad I eventually managed to find all the data I thought I'd lost from an old external HD I was about to sweep and throw out.
Last edited by firstoftwins on Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrEttienne
Novice

Post by DrEttienne »

I agree that my Android phone's EPIM app can sync with the local calendar on our local server - but my cell phone can only sync when I am on the same physical network as EPIM running on my PC. Thus, if I am away from the office (I'm a surgeon and are in the operating room 2 1/2 days a week) my phone is no longer synced to the latest version of our calendar.

I the past, with a sync to my google calendar, I could be sure that what I am seeing on my phone, is a true reflection of my day ahead. Furthermore, I have noted several inconsistencies with the current Google Sync where certain events are not synced. It seems to be an issue if I use the one-way sync - EPIM to Google.
My biggest problem is the following:
I have a Google Calendar and assuming I can dependably synced my Theatre slate, My consultations and my meetings and my assistant’s patients, I can now see those on EPIM under the new Google Calendar
Our psychologist has her own Google account, and she syncs her appointments in tow of three sub calendars (Previously categories)
And our Geneticist also has her own Google Calendar with two or three sub calendars.

In EPIM I now see the local calendar - which I'm not sure what the use is for anymore, My Google Calendar and sub calendars, the Psychologist's Calendar and sub calendars and the geneticist’s calendar and sub calendars. All quite manageable so far but then....

I can still only sync my Google calendar from Epim to Google, I cannot sync any of the 8 other people I work with, each with their own Google calendar, to my google calendar and therefore I cannot keep track of the availability of my team on my Google Calendar?

So, instead of having one central calendar where we can schedule everything and keep track of each other's availability which can sync with several individual calendars, be it Google, Outlook, or whatever, I am now stuck with one, location bound calendar (Local Calendar) and several disjointed individual calendars which cannot sync with the local one nor each other.

This was what made EPIM great. As a developer of a software product, I would think that the product should support the way people would want to use it in the real world and not be so presumptuous to dictate to the users how they should conduct their work?

Please - I need a solution to this problem? (I have subscribed to EPIM Cloud in the hope that this would sync the Local Calendar, but in essence it is just another "Google Calendar" by another name with the same limitations - so that doesn’t help me much and costs me money to boot)
firstoftwins
Guru

Post by firstoftwins »

DrEttienne wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:48 pm
Please - I need a solution to this problem
Among the myriad of bugs in both EPIM and AEPIM, syncing between the two and in general with Google or Microsoft is a risk not worth taking. You will lose data if you don't check your backups to ensure it wasn't lost during a sync. You'll find that your contact data fields are mismatched, missing or a combination of both. Your precious notes will be lost. Just take a while to read these help forums to see the desperate users asking for help and decide whether to put your trust in this app. I've been using EPIM and AEPIM for over 12 years while brushing aside the little bugs that often appear in less robust apps like this as mere irritants that'll hopefully get fixed, but it's become too unreliable to use now.
DrEttienne
Novice

Post by DrEttienne »

I have been using EPIM for the past 7 or 8 years and I am appreciative of the frustrations caused by changes in policies by Google etc. I have had to revert to backup files on a few occasions because of this and yet our whole centre has been happy to stick with EPIM, because it protected our valuable data and allowed us to access it in a practical way.
The fact remains that. in its current form, our established main Calendar database with thousands of entries in the now Local Calendar, is only usable in a site dependant manner and although it helps to maintain control over the data integrity, it prevents it from being used in a world where things are decentralized and people are no longer working in one location.
I was hoping that EPIM cloud would address the need to have access to my data from wherever I am, but the fact the local calendar is still not shareable, makes it no better than any of the 3rd party options like Google
At the very least, I should be able to view my calendar from anywhere without having to use VPN software to access my desktop at work?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EPIM Cloud allows you to achieve just that. You can move your existing local calendar into EPIM Cloud (just check its properties in WinEPIM) and in this case it should become accessible by all users.

As for the Google Sync - you cannot access calendar of other users unless they share one with you. In this case you'll also see the shared calendar along with its events in EPIM.

Hope that explains things. If not, please feel free to ask any additional questions.