EssentialPIM 11.0 Release Candidate

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Frizzell9
Expert

Re: EssentialPIM 11.0 Release Candidate

Post by Frizzell9 »

lorymax wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:17 am
I believe it is due to the fact that stable version 11.0 is available today. For some reason the update window does not display the release notes.
Wednesday July 6:
How do I download this release that is available today?

Frizzell9
Image EPIM Pro User Since 2006

"Why a four year old child could understand this.
Run out and get me a four year old child,
I can't make head or tail out of it."
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Frizzell9 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:21 pm
lorymax wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:17 am
I believe it is due to the fact that stable version 11.0 is available today. For some reason the update window does not display the release notes.
Wednesday July 6:
How do I download this release that is available today?

Frizzell9
It's available at the EPIM website today.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
SilverSound
Expert

Post by SilverSound »

Should be a way to hide the EPIM cloud Icon at the lower left, or at least switch it out for a nice looking cloud or something. The windows 8 style double circle looks pretty out of place with all the other Icons in the program.

But I think it should be hideable at least in the PRO version as if the user don't use EPIM cloud you are effectually forcing them to stare at an ad every time we use the program which is a bit unfair for the PRO version.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Is the regular version available? If so, is it really stable? Also, do you upgrade by just downloading the program and installing over the top of what you currently have? When I check Help > Check for Updates is says, nothing available. I'm on 10.2.1 and have lifetime upgrades.
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Steve Shank wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:14 am Is the regular version available? If so, is it really stable? Also, do you upgrade by just downloading the program and installing over the top of what you currently have? When I check Help > Check for Updates is says, nothing available. I'm on 10.2.1 and have lifetime upgrades.
The released version of 11.0 is available at the Essential PIM website. I have been using it for several days, I am happy with it. You just install it over your earlier version.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:52 pm ЛеонидЛогинов, it works as expected on our side. If possible, please make a short video demonstrating how the caldav sync works on yours. As for the tasks - you'd like them to be divided into accounts, as well? Regarding the strange logic - I think you're the only one who utilizes that scenario, so no changes are planned with it, yet. Offline icon shows symbolic network backbone :)
In the final version 11.0 it doesn't work properly. When I add an ical sync, I expect to choose where the events from it go. When I add it now, a remote account is created with the calendar name, but events from it continue to appear in the default calendar. It just doesn't make sense.

About tasks: no, I don't expect them to be divided into accounts. My understanding is that this will require a lot more work. It would just be better if we could switch the tasks displayed on the calendar in the same interface, when now we can select the events from which the calendars will be displayed. Now when I turn off all the checkboxes in the calendar list, the ones that came from tasks are still displayed. What if I want to dive into events from a specific calendar?
There should be a quick way to hide the tasks in the calendar module, also would it be great if the user could choose from which categories the tasks will be displayed?

Why did you create this scenario in the first place? I mean why if I select a time slot in the calendar module, I click "Add Task" -> I see this previously selected slot in the dialog box. Could you at least add an option to disable the automatic opening of the "New Event" dialog when a time slot is selected? On a modern PC, opening the New Event dialog takes 3-4 seconds. I want to select a time and then click what I want to add: an event or a task.
locke
Guru

Post by locke »

Standardkalender kann nicht ausgewählt werden. Bei neuen Terminen wird bei mir der erste Kalender aus dem zweiten synchronisierten Kalender eingetragen. Ich würde gerne einen Standardkalender wählen wollen. Ist da zu ändern. Auch die Vorlage speichert den vorher gewählten Kalender nicht.

Gruß
Locke
lorymax
Guru

Post by lorymax »

poet-man wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:44 pm Being in calendar module, having one calendar only with all my entries in it, I uncheck this calendar. So no calendar should be active/displayed. At least that's what I would expect.
But I still see a calendar (month view) and some entries in it. All of them are tasks. Most of them are completed tasks.
I wonder what I see there? Which calendar is displayed while no calendar is active?
What I would expect, is a blank screen with no calendar and no items in it.

Why is this?
You are right. Using two or more calendars it would be very useful to have a command to show or hide the tasks with "show in calendar" active (or alternatively, the possibility to choose in which calendar the tasks should be displayed)
Otherwise the calendar can be very confusing and makes multiple calendars useless in my case.
HerbertHL

Post by HerbertHL »

What happened with the month calendar in the today screen? They are not available anymore underneed the menu (today, calendar, tasks, ...)
I used to have the current month and the 2 following months visible?
I want them back; like in the previous versions of Epim and not only in the calendar screen!

ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

HerbertHL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:25 pm What happened with the month calendar in the today screen? They are not available anymore underneed the menu (today, calendar, tasks, ...)
I want them back; like in the previous versions of Epim and not only in the calendar screen!

View->Sidebar->Calendar (while you are in today screen) This option, available in most modules, is new with WinEPIM 11.0. Your setting will be remembered, on a per module basis.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ЛеонидЛогинов, please describe in more details and with a list of steps how to reproduce the problem with iCal sync.
Regarding the display of tasks in calendar - understood now, thanks for the explanation. Will implement this in one of the new nearest versions.
Will think about making it possible to choose which type of item to add when making selection in a calendar.

locke, when you add new events, the selected calendar is automatically offered. We'll improve templates so that they contain the calendar, as well.

lorymax, this is close to what ЛеонидЛогинов has suggested. Please see my above reply to him.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:48 pm ЛеонидЛогинов, please describe in more details and with a list of steps how to reproduce the problem with iCal sync.
I expect that ical synced calendars appear in their own isolated calendar or at least an ability to choose where they will go to..

And please consider increasing timeout in the 'add new ical sync setting'. 5 sec is not enough. I have api calendar that takes 10-15 seconds to generate events.
ical.mp4
(7.87 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see now, thanks very much! Will improve this.

BTW that's not 5 seconds but rather 5 minutes :)
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ЛеонидЛогинов
Novice

Post by ЛеонидЛогинов »

admin wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:46 pm I see now, thanks very much! Will improve this.

BTW that's not 5 seconds but rather 5 minutes :)
Maybe sync timeout is 5 minutes, but when I open 'add new ical' dialog and type its url and switch to other field, epim checks if url returns ics and THERE timeout is only 5 sec.
So to add a new ical sync I have to edit my server code to return an empty ics file, and then when epim is sure that endpoint provides ics, I can revert server code and sync works fine.
HerbertHL

Post by HerbertHL »

ecsaltz wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:50 am
HerbertHL wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:25 pm What happened with the month calendar in the today screen? They are not available anymore underneed the menu (today, calendar, tasks, ...)

View->Sidebar->Calendar (while you are in today screen) This option, available in most modules, is new with WinEPIM 11.0. Your setting will be remembered, on a per module basis.
Thank you!!! Glad to have that back!!
It is sometimes difficult to find all the possibilities!