thousands of duplicated emails

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

Re: thousands of duplicated emails

Post by admin »

Where did you delete a spam email from - web or EPIM? Why do you say it was left in Inbox if it was deleted? Which folder was the message replicated in? What's its subject?
Thanks.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Where did you delete a spam email from - web or EPIM? Why do you say it was left in Inbox if it was deleted? Which folder was the message replicated in? What's its subject?
Thanks.
I didn't delete them yet. I come in the morning and see 3800+ emails in my inbox which should not be there and are marked for deletion with a line through them. I can see that in webmail. EPim does not download or show any of them because they are marked for deletion. the from and subject of this one was:
From Home Light
Subject: Property Update - multiple inquiries for your property

Let me know if you can use anything else.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So the emails were duplicated and marked for deletion on the server only? In this case I'm not sure if EPIM has anything to do with the situation.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:57 am So the emails were duplicated and marked for deletion on the server only? In this case I'm not sure if EPIM has anything to do with the situation.
I agree. But as I said, I went to them and am still working with them. They can't find anything. So, suggested I look at the possibility that my local program could be doing something. I stopped all syncing for that account. The problem ended. I had not gone more than 2 or 3 days without the problem occurring, so I went 8 days before deciding this seemed like the issue. Then I turned sync automatically every 30 minutes on for that account and 24 hours later the problem appears.

This is not definitive, but seems to indicate that the auto syncing is having an issue with the inmotionhosting servers and they are getting caught in a loop.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Were there any duplicates visible in EPIM at the same time?
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Epim never displays the emails. For years I've used MailWasher Pro to scan my emails and remove the junk before downloading or even opening my local email program. Mailwasher Pro sees them. I can check with Webmail. Mailwasher pro takes a long time to evaluate 3,800 emails! If I simply used EPIM, then either they would accumulate until I ran out of space, or their server would have some cleanup routine which runs on some schedule I've been unable to identify. For example, this morning all those emails are gone. So, on the morning of the 7th there were 3,800 duplicate spam emails which epim did not see but were visible with Mailwasher Pro. I didn't touch them but reported the issue to Inmotion hosting and to you. On the morning of the 10th, they were all removed. There were still there on the 9th.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can forward us the mail log file when such a situation with duplicate emails marked for deletion happens again, will check what EPIM is getting from the server during these times.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

You can forward us the mail log file when such a situation with duplicate emails marked for deletion happens again, will check what EPIM is getting from the server during these times.
I did that back on the 7th with the problem occurred. But I put an expiration on the link. Here it is again and I've removed the link expiration. Let me know when you get it. I uploaded three logs, hopefully the ones that will be useful. The timing was, Saw problem. Closed program. Grabbed newest 3 logs beginning with mail...

https://drive.proton.me/urls/4SXH7EA0GM#ZTBRVMrlTpoz
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, thanks, will update this post once I have more info from the logs.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Steve, is there anything you do with mails in EPIM? We notice from the log file that their date changes (you can see it in the Date column).
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

Here's what I do, let me know if you could benefit from more info
mail comes into that account. Most mail remains, but after a few weeks or a month it gets automatically moved to archive.
but, many types of mail get moved around. If I need to followup on something, it gets moved to a followup folder that I check. This works better for me than the STAR column or Important category. From the followup folder, it could get deleted or moved elsewhere.
I have a set of folders for confirmations which are not synced. - things like house related, or client orders or books. Otherwise confirmation go into folders by year.
Notices from banks of deposits made get tagged with the client name and then moved to annual deposit folders. These are also local (not synced).
Eventually, all emails remaining in the inbox go to archive automatically and are then moved to unsynced annual folders.

Is this what you meant? I don't do anything that I would think would change a date, which I think is very bad especially for things like deposits from clients or confirmations for purchases.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

It just happened again. Here's a link to an image of what it looks like in Webmail (Horde), which I don't use except for debugging purposes. Also, EPIM doesn't download or display them. I've included the last 3 logs files, as well as the image. Let me know if I can do anything else.
https://spideroak.com/browse/share/OCSS ... dje9cncbe8
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you move emails from Inbox into any other local folder (not the one stored on the server) or another account, then these messages are marked for deletion on the server. It's the server's job to delete them after some time (depending on the server's settings). If your mail server doesn't automatically do that, you can right click on Inbox in EPIM and choose the Compress option.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

You are missing the point. Somehow, every few days, a spam email arrives and gets replicated 1,000-4,000 times. It is marked for deletion, so it doesn't appear in EPIM. All the times stamps on the server are identical to the second. The last one was about 3,200 duplicates. This appears to only occur with the option in EPIM to check for new messages every 30 minutes is checked. This came to my attention when my account was closed because I'd exceeded my storage quota. I changed my storage quota to infinite. EPIM doesn't see these, but they do occur. I suspect the server deletes them every few days. But it appears to me that epim and the server are getting caught in a loop.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What happens with the spam message? Is it marked as spam by the server and consequently moved into the SPAM folder? Or maybe EPIM detects it as a spam and moves into the corresponding folder or there's something else?