Email NOT downloading

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Christine
Expert

Re: Email NOT downloading

Post by Christine »

My main account downloaded 2327 mails since 5/2. On 6/1, the day Greengeeks moved my account, I have only THREE emails, so obviously, a bunch got lost.

And I see that rules can be imported, will try that.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

messages_bio' line: 5, col: 76 -- get this error when checking mail in the NEW file for two accounts, one account already downloaded over 50 mails, the other nothing.

I see this error mentioned in only one post in 2011, and while I read German, the only option is to delete the account and recreate it?

viewtopic.php?t=11237

Never seen that before.

Deleted the accounts and recreated them, but same error. One account downloads 52 messages before I get the error, the other downloads nothing.

Set up 3 more accounts, same thing.

And while I use the IDENTICAL password for all mail accounts, and it worked fine in my old file, I have to CHANGE the passwords to the EXISTING password at Greengeeks about half the time for it to work.

I have no idea how I find the will to continue living.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Been trying to get a screenshot in here, HOW?

Do I really have to SAVE a screenshot to the drive and then upload as attachment?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Can't comment on the error never gotten it before and it's name doesn't mean anything to me.

On the general side of things since you said you are using POP:

Unlike IMAP that mirrors the web sever POP can be setup a lot of different ways that can lead people to think there are crazy errors/issues when there was really just a setting they never noticed until something minor changed in their setup/use.

Have you checked on the server to make sure all your POP settings on each account are what you want?

On most email hosts each account will have it's own POP settings that will let you configure things like: Oldest emails that can be downloaded by POP clients, whether or nor mail marked as read can be downloaded, whether or not email is deleted upon download, or deleted x days after download, or not deleted at all....etc...etc..

For example my grand mother once thought her Outlook client stopped working, but it turned out she had added her email account to her cellphone and the cellphone also used POP so the cellphone was marking messages as read, and then Outlook wouldn't download any of her POP messages since her server side POP settings were set to not download messages once read.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

"On most email hosts each account will have it's own POP settings that will let you configure things like: Oldest emails that can be downloaded by POP clients, whether or nor mail marked as read can be downloaded, whether or not email is deleted upon download, or deleted x days after download, or not deleted at all....etc...etc.."

I have NO idea how to change any of that on the server. EPIM, The Bat and all other clients I've ever used have all these settings.

I NEVER NEVER NEVER check email anywhere else as it can ONLY lead to problems. The only exception is troubleshooting and setting up multiple EPIM files to try to get my mail.

Unfortunately, it's not happening.

Over a year ago I moved from The Bat because I had so many problems with settings NOT savings. Now I just paid for The Bat upgrade to the current release because I will have to kill myself when I run out of money to live on and at this rate, it won't be much longer.

I appreciate everyone's efforts. but I give up on EPIM for mail.
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

You may look into checking your POP settings sever side no matter what you decide to do if you've never looked before. Clients have zero ability to override the server POP settings. I can't help you since I don't use the same email host as you. In most cases it's a section of the settings that the normal users have access too, though since you are using a self hosted email server they may be buried much deeper.

POP in general can be pretty fickle, weird, and even dangerous [it's surprisingly easy to accidentally delete your mail in an nonrecoverable ways using POP], which is why generally on the tech advisory side things default to IMAP and you tend to recommend IMAP since it keeps everything sycned to the sever and eliminates all the issues that come from using multiple clients on single accounts.

POP is normally best used for special cases where you don't want your mail stored on the server, if you want to setup special multiple users setups, or for full offline email archiving/backups.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

I've used POP for about 30 years now. Never had these problems.

Have no idea why anyone would keep terabytes of mail on their mail server.

Nor can I imagine that Greengeeks would mess with the settings just to screw me up. OBVIOUSLY, something got screwed up when they moved my account to a new server. But that shouldn't be an insurmountable problem as the mails ARE on the server with the exception of a bunch of mail lost on 6/1.

And lastly, everything downloads as it should in EMC, in The Bat and even in EPIM messages are downloaded as they should when I can connect -- EXCEPT in my original db.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If we're talking about a POP mail account then likely old mail gets deleted, although you should check your POP mail account settings in the old DB if that's the case.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
RuudO
Expert

Post by RuudO »

figured it out already
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

@christine: I see an attorney email on 6/1 in my old file, but it didn't download into my new file. How can that be?
Does it exist "in your cloud?" In other words, in webmail?" It can certainly get downloaded, then get deleted, then not appear in the new one. But, if it is in webmail and not in you database, then try and see if something separates it from what is existing properly. Is there something that could trigger an antivirus program or firewall? Just wondering. But you don't want to compare the two databases, you want to compare what is online and should be downloaded to what was actually downloaded.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Steve, I switched to The Bat after also testing EMC, both downloaded everything just fine.

I'm still using EPIM for notes, but wish I'd never used it for email because my CONTACTS are completely unusable due the SPAM problems.

These are NOT the contacts I have on my phone and Google Voice, but they're contacts with many notes going back to at least 2011.

viewtopic.php?p=123107