V10.2.1 Pro: missing checkbox option field text; GPF crashes;

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ckmunoz
Novice

V10.2.1 Pro: missing checkbox option field text; GPF crashes;

Post by ckmunoz »

In addition to my continuing woes with migrating Tasks & Notes from V7.66 to V10.2.1 -- different thread, I'll post more later about that --

- now this: V10.2.1 Pro, W7SP1, stable machine not junked up with toploaded TSRs, no issues with any other application programs,

Under Tools - Options a number of the top and submenu options have the checkbox fields present, but no text adjacent to indicate their purpose. If any one or more of the boxes are checked away from the defaults, as soon as Apply is punched, Bang goes the program into memory error GPF, the background screen turns black, off we go to kill process thread. 100% reproduceable. Program restarts none the worse for wear, but the machine CPU is pegged until OS logout and back in.

Also, Import - Export menus and submenus showing untexted blank fields where *.epim should be, although if one selects those fields blindly, the process does work. Same for the View, Actions, Tools top level menus, several submenu fields there, but no text.

Both of the above would seem to be in part a screen painting issue, but not the GPF. More info available if needed, I've checked the "send to developer" -- or whatever it says -- box in the GPF twice for To: errors@essentialpim.com, but those email messages haven't yet gone out.

Any thoughts - ? - Christopher KM
ckmunoz
Novice

Re: V10.2.1 Pro: missing checkbox option field text; GPF crashes;

Post by ckmunoz »

Further to this matter:

I installed V10.2.1 on a W11 machine, no such issues at all. Both are Lenovo ThinkPads -- W530 (W7SP1 Pro x64, fully patched) & P17 Gen 1 (W11 Pro x64, fully patched). The display issue has seemed to me that it might be a video driver problem, but why 10.2.1 would crash it is unknown to me.

Can I run two different EPIM versions concurrently on the same machine? - CKM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you use EPIM Portable, make sure the language file English.lng was updated. If you use the regular version, I'd reinstall it.

You can run an unlimited number of EPIMs, although we do not recommend opening a single database in more than one instance of EPIM.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ckmunoz
Novice

Post by ckmunoz »

Sorry, didn't specify "Regular" and not "Portable", I don't use portable.

As it happens, just a straight up reinstallation of V10.2.1 in one go, right over the top of the existing installation without uninstalling first, cleared up all the problems I reported with screen display and crashes, so all is well with that. Dunno what happened the first time, no explanation.

Because of the continuing Tasks and Notes migration issues mentioned in my other thread I need to run V10.2.1 and V9.0 on the same W8.1 x64 W541 machine, but with a different database for each version. V9.0 is already up and running over there, how do I install V10.2.1 beside it without mucking something up?

And yes, I'd say that anyone simultaneously accessing the same database with two different installations is sailing in perilous waters. - CKM
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you need to run different EPIM versions on the same PC, consider using the Portable edition for one of the versions. Alternatively, you may try to install the regular versions into different folders, that should also work.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
ckmunoz
Novice

Post by ckmunoz »

Okay, I tried both approaches:

- (i) while leaving V10.x Regular installed as system integrated on C drive, installing V9 Regular on D drive, a logical drive on the same physical fixed drive as C,

- and -

- (ii) installing V9.0 Portable on D.

Each works concurrently and satisfactorily with V10.x. However, if I don't configure each to start with the last opened file, under (i) both the V9 & V10 databases from both versions on that machine are shown collectively in the file history list. A trap for the momentarily inattentive, possibly opening the V9 file in V10, irreversible without going to backup.

Under (ii), the file history lists are specific to each installation so are separated. The way to go for my situation.

Tasks notes text can be copy-pasted from V9 into V19, with all font attributes preserved. - CKM