REPLIES being spammed

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Christine
Expert

REPLIES being spammed

Post by Christine »

PRO 10.2.1

I saw a spam log file in another topic, where do I find it?

Where do I see what's been marked as SPAM manually?

I'm in litigation and have so many problems, even replies to my emails have been spammed.

I've hosted on Airbnb since 2017 and yesterday a new booking inquiry was SPAMMED!

Can someone explain to me how spam filtering works?

Also, while I've used EPIM for so many years and really like it, it is still so HARD to use.

Why are you wasting so much precious real estate on EMPTY SPACE?

Why don't we have customizable toolbars?

Why is the "Mark as Spam" next to "archive" instead of "delete?"

I don't archive because I do not understand what archiving does. Are archived messages excluded from searches? Will archiving make EPIM run faster?

I have no clue what "filter" does. It puts little arrows next to the mail fields that do nothing different than clicking on the mail fields without the arrow buttons. What am I missing?

With about 10 addresses I really do appreciate the many features EPIM has, but some of the very basics aren't there.

Every module should have a customizable top toolbar and on the top menu next to help we should be able to put our frequently used functions.

I so miss UNDO and REDO buttons.

I've not used the "Mark as Spam" much anymore, so cumbersome and there's no undo when I accidentally hit "archive" because I have to travel so far to get from "delete" to "mark as spam". And no "undo."

I guess the first step in fixing my spam problem is to review what's in the "mark as spam" file.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions!
Christine
Expert

Re: REPLIES being spammed

Post by Christine »

I just found that my web host had set the Cpanel spam filter to 5 and I now changed it to 8, some of the problems came from there.

But now I'll get way more SPAM in my inbox and really have to figure out EPIM's spam filtering.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please see here: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/mail_rules.htm, more specifically the "Spam filtering" section.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Thanks, guess where I found the notice today of your post today ... Although that's not the problem since I haven't posted here in years.

I have studied the link you gave me many times, but it doesn't answer my questions.

"I guess the first step in fixing my spam problem is to review what's in the "mark as spam" file."

Is that possible?

I'm now spending several hours each day moving existing business to one email address that I religiously check for spammed real mail, unsubscribing from non-essential mailings and lists to limit the number of emails going to "the" address.

I like EPIM and used it for at least 11 years, but just started using it for email last year I think and I'm really struggling.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

Hello Christine!
log file: You find the log file in C:\user\appdata..... I don´t know exactly, I use the portable version and here you can put EPIM whereever you want.

I think, there is no way to see, what´s marked as spam manually

I don´t know exactly if EPIM´s spam filtering is working this way, but propably it does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naive_Bay ... _filtering

Spam filtering is not perfect in EPIM, but it does some good work. I use a combination of spamfiltering and manual filters (Options/message rules).
More annoying for me is, that "mark as NOT spam" is not working well; From the beginning EPIM´s own newsletters go to the spam-folder, and there is no way to turn this of. Astonsoft seems not be able to repair this.....

Customizable toolbars- that would be fine!

Archiving emails: Me too, I found no use for this..... but with a little trying I learned. there is no problem, if you unintentional put an email to "Archive".
Archive is just the bottom folder in my email-structure- it is just a folder like any other folder. You can move emails in and out of "Archive" just like you want to.

Filter: When you activate filter and you see the little arrows- just click in the header of a row ("Tags", "From", "Subject", "Sent".....) nad it will sorted according this row, i.e if you click on "sent", it will be sorted with "sent"-date. the newest or the oldest one top or bottom. "Subject" will sorted alphabetically and so on...

UNDO/REDO: In notes module you have this buttons (counter-clockwise and clockwise arrows); In Email module there is no undo.... but it is no problem to reverse (undo) things- at least on my PC. On my Windows tablet it is like you said..... I would like to have customizable buttons here.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Thanks so much! I often wonder whether it's "just me" -- suffered stress-induced brain damage a couple years and I have trouble learning, especially when I'm stressed.

"Filter: When you activate filter and you see the little arrows- just click in the header of a row ("Tags", "From", "Subject", "Sent".....) nad it will sorted according this row, i.e if you click on "sent", it will be sorted with "sent"-date. the newest or the oldest one top or bottom. "Subject" will sorted alphabetically and so on..."

I'm only using the computer and I don't need to click on "filter" -- I just click on the headers. So it seems that button does NOTHING for desktop users.

For over 15 years I used Eudora and it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Totally customizable menus, back in the 90s. Long after it wasn't supported anymore I finally switched to The Bat even though I was already using EPIM, wanted to keep notes and mail separate as there are limitations and it's so cumbersome to have to switch back and forth from notes to mail. And, it's safer to have separate apps in case one dies.

That said, EPIM has so many features, often learn new extremely helpful short cuts and tricks when I contact support or read the blog. Many of my suggested features are already there.

I know that I can manually move mails from archive, but the TIME that takes. I have about 10 active emails. I literally work EVERY day and usually 10 - 12 hours. Fortunately not all on the computer most days, but it is what it is and that's why I need to operate extremely efficient.

And if archive really is just another folder, I don't see the purpose. I have literally hundreds of thousands of mails, most not yet imported. It would be great to have a real archive that's basically just stored and doesn't impact on running EPIM at all, but when you need to search for it, there's that option. I wouldn't mind if it took a little extra time to search the archive since that's rarely needed if the archive button isn't between delete and mark as spam.

Recently I lost about 5 hours and had 3 days worth of stress when I opened a second instance of EPIM and then accidentally used the same file, had so many apps open I didn't realize it. And then the file was corrupted, then I went to the last backup and nothing was there. In the process of searching my computer it went to never never land and I had to finally shut off the power. Then I resorted the file, went to look for the OTHER file I needed and the entire directory with that file and backups was gone. I tried to do drive repair / recovery because I also couldn't find a backup in the cloud (recently got new cloud space and just got Starlink after awful internet). I was devastated because the file had so much research. Windows was running so crappy, but going to a restore point also didn't work. Finally looked in the cloud again and found it all and windows fixed itself.

And strangely, about that time everything started to get spammed. Business mail I had been receiving since I started using EPIM mail got spammend. Court notifications, attorney emails, Airbnb and VRBO booking requests ... my life has been hellish.

This all happened because EPIM opened the file that was already open and that should NEVER happen!

I'm not 100% sure because I can go for months without open a 2nd file, but I think EPIM either used to open no file or asked which file to open when I opened a 2nd instance of EPIM. I consider that a bug, but Anton didn't seem to think so. This would be so easy to fix!

I do realize how much work it is to deal with all these different OS and synchronization and EPIM is just so powerful.

I wonder whether the owners of EPIM would be open to license their code for a simplified version for the many MILLIONS of old and even not so old people in their 40s and 50s with memory problems. Been doing a lot of brain research and it would be so incredibly useful to have a SIMPLE app like EPIM, bigger buttons, undo / redo for everything.

Well, I'll go back to looking through SPAM now. I "think" I fixed my current business mail, but guessing there's a lot being spammed from old clients, guests, etc. At least I know that "mark as not spam" works because I got the notice of this post in my inbox. :)
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Forgot to mention, I so appreciate the recently added feature showing the number of emails in each mailbox, that was so high on my wishlist!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Just looked for the SPAM logs and found the backups and the entire folder that had been missing. I remember now that I was looking for the .ini file and somehow must have accidentally moved the directory from my data drive into users. Wow ...

The spam log file is great, but I'd like to see all the addresses I marked as spam. That's not possible?
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Is it true that "mark as NOT spam" only marks it for that particular email address?

I just changed my email address to the email that I monitor now for spam religiously and promptly booking requests were spammed again :(
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Customizable toolbars are coming, just don't expect them too soon, please.

You aren't marking particular email addresses as spam, it's a combination of headers and body of email messages. For more details about how the filter works, please see the Wikipedia link that a8907433 has shared.

Mark as not Spam taches SPAM filter to ignore email messages you consider as "Good" ones. Some omissions are possible, although in general it should work ok. Of course, it could also be the mail server that moves messages into SPAM if there such an option enabled on it. Thanks!
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

"Customizable toolbars are coming, just don't expect them too soon, please."

YES!!!

"You aren't marking particular email addresses as spam, it's a combination of headers and body of email messages. "

I know that's how spam filtering works, but I thought I was creating my personal white / black lists in EPIM. And it explains why the notice of your post was SPAMMED again.

So the "mark as spam" and "mark as not spam" really don't do anything, other than moving the mail back into the inbox because I'm basically just "voting" and I'm one of the trillions of votes :(

In recent days I learned that big companies like Amazon and Airbnb have actually 10 or more different emails to notify me of various events and my fingers are going to fall off from all the "mark as not spam" to get it back into the inbox and then adding to my contact list, several MORE clicks, and this is the kind of stuff that puts small businesses OUT of business!

I don't understand why Amazon and Airbnb would EVER be spammed as their mailings are transactional / for customers.

Who is the company running the EPIM spam filtering?

And on the other hand, something happened apparently ONLY to me a few weeks ago when all this started. Been using EPIM mail since last year and never had this problem before.

Is it possible to whitelist entire domains so that their countless email addresses are never spammed?

And instead of "mark as not spam" a one-click button to add these HUNDREDS of addresses to the contact list would be nice to have.

Assuming that the contact list is my white list and will actually be utilized.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can disable spam filtering completely in EssentialPIM and then check if that's your mail provider moving all these messages into SPAM.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

I know who filters what. The CPanel spam is marked with "*** SPAM ***" in the subject so I know who spams what.

Which company does your filtering?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

EssentialPIM itself does it based on the built-in Bayes spam filtering mechanisms.
Christine
Expert

Post by Christine »

Why is it NOT working?

The literally THOUSANDS of times I've clicked on "not spam" or "spam" was a total waste of time and as of a few weeks ago just about EVERY business email including Amazon and Airbnb were being spammed.

I now have about ten (10) Amazon addresses in my contacts. VRBO and Airbnb are about another 20 contacts.

Since I'm the only user having this problem, I'm 99.9999% certain that something happened when EPIM corrupted the file and everything went to crap because it opened duplicate files, which it STILL does. Had another nightmare when it again opened the file a second time recently.

Sometimes it would actually be helpful to have the same file open twice so I don't have to switch from email to notes a gazillion times, but the 2nd instance should open as READ ONLY.

Anyway, Is there a spam filter I can use with EPIM that actually works? When I used The Bat I had a plugin and never had a problem.