GMail OAuth 2.0....

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

norsea
Guru

GMail OAuth 2.0....

Post by norsea »

I received the following from the folks at GMail:

"To help keep your account secure, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your Google Account using only your username and password. Instead, you’ll need to sign in using Sign in with Google or other more secure technologies, like OAuth 2.0."

This means I EPIM will no longer be able to access GMail POP3 EmaIl.

Wondering what the plans are for EPIM to deal with this issue???

Curiously yours,

Jim
admin
Site Admin

Re: GMail OAuth 2.0....

Post by admin »

This means that if you added your Gmail account into EPIM a long time ago when there was no OAuth option, you'd need to re-add your account but through the OAuth type of authorization this time.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

So, Google has now made it impossible for me to access pop3 email with EPIM.

I see nothing in EPiM that shows how to set up pop3 accounts using OAuth.

As a result, I am back to my original question about the viability of EPIM with pop3 email given what Google has done to GMail? I have no way to access Gmail pop3 accounts with any of the EPIM pro software that we have purchased.

What is your plan to make EPIM a viable tool for use with GMail?

Curiously yours,

Jim
MetalDrop
Guru

Post by MetalDrop »

Did you see Admins reply? If you added your Gmail account in a long time ago you need to delete it and re-add it, then OAuth will work just fine.

All my email accounts are Gmail pop3 and I have no issue, but I did have to re-add them all when Gmail moved to OAuth years ago. I'm surprised you're just now running into this issue, perhaps you had some kind of legacy feature turned on in Gmail that recently expired.
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In addition to MetalDrop's comment, I'd recommend you not to delete the old account before adding the new one as you may still need some email from the old one. If so, you'll be able to move or copy messages in between the accounts if needed (from the Sent Items folder, for instance).
dusioleczek

Post by dusioleczek »

I have several accounts, many filters. I copied the messages to the appropriate folders. I deleted the accounts and set up again. The mail is working. Only filters ... even though I pointed to the folders again, they don't work. He puts everything into the main :(
--
Dusiolek
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Message rules (or filters) aren't tied to a specific mail account so they should still work. Please double check their settings.
dusioleczek

Post by dusioleczek »

And yet it doesn't work :(
Nay. I made a copy of the folder (portable version 10.2.1) before deleting and re-adding accounts. Now I have exported the filters. In the used version, I threw it away. I did an import and ... it doesn't work :(
I am sad and angry. Some of these filters are spamtrap. Now trash my main message folders :(
--
Dusiolek
dusioleczek

Post by dusioleczek »

admin wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:42 pm Message rules (or filters) aren't tied to a specific mail account so they should still work. Please double check their settings.
It started. After database optimization.
--
Dusiolek