EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: Max, TerryRogers

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12462
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:12 am
Has thanked: 1115 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

Probably a regular log file should do it. Please forward it to me via PM, will have a look. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm
Location: Austria
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by Tester »

I took a first look at version 10.0 RC 2. What I saw immediately is a change in the display of the fonts. Certain letters stick to each other, i.e. there is no longer a space between them. Please see the difference to version 9.10.8 in the two following images. (The used font is Arial / Standard / 12)

With version 9.10.8:
abdrehen-alt.jpg

With version 10.0. RC 2:
Abdrehen-neu.jpg
Tester
Expert
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm
Location: Austria
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by Tester »

And something else (completely different):

After importing databases (.epim files) from version 9.10.8 to 10.0 RC 2 I could not open them any longer in the older version. (I tested it with two different databases.) I got the following error message in version 9.10.8:

DB.jpg

(It was no problem for me because I did not use 10.0. RC 2 on my real system. But I think it could be a problem for users who would like to return to the older version after testing the Release Candidate on their real system. So - if this is no bug - I think there should be something like a warning before starting an import.)
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12462
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:12 am
Has thanked: 1115 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

I took a first look at version 10.0 RC 2. What I saw immediately is a change in the display of the fonts. Certain letters stick to each other, i.e. there is no longer a space between them. Please see the difference to version 9.10.8 in the two following images. (The used font is Arial / Standard / 12)
We're aware of that, unfortunately that's the way Windows scales Arial.
(It was no problem for me because I did not use 10.0. RC 2 on my real system. But I think it could be a problem for users who would like to return to the older version after testing the Release Candidate on their real system. So - if this is no bug - I think there should be something like a warning before starting an import.)
When the database is converted to the new version, a backup file is created. Use it you would like to go back to the previous versions of EPIM.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm
Location: Austria
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by Tester »

When the database is converted to the new version, a backup file is created. Use it you would like to go back to the previous versions of EPIM.
I see. Thank you. 8)

Concerning the display (scaling) of the fonts I do not understand your argument when saying:
admin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:26 am We're aware of that, unfortunately that's the way Windows scales Arial.
But in EPIM's current version the scaling is o.k. The modification occurs with the release candidate. So it must have to do something with a change in EPIM. So please could you explain further the situation - and if there is a possibility to retain the scaling as it is now (with version 9)?
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12462
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:12 am
Has thanked: 1115 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

There's a new Zoom In/Out feature in EPIM 10.0, that's the reason. We cannot do anything about that, unfortunately. What you can do is to switch to another font.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm
Location: Austria
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by Tester »

admin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:26 pm There's a new Zoom In/Out feature in EPIM 10.0, that's the reason.
Ah, that's the reason. Thank you.
admin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:26 pm We cannot do anything about that, unfortunately. What you can do is to switch to another font.
No, I do not want to change the font that I have used from the beginning of using my computer and writing my documents. Then unfortunately I will better stay away from EPIM. :wink:
Ramnee
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:32 am

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by Ramnee »

Can there be a way to disable the zoom feature and use the old rendering system?

I can't change the font in my documents either they are a requirement by several other companies.

If this was a problem that effected a few novelty fonts I wouldn't even be making this suggestion, but this is an issue that is effecting many industry standard fonts, and is a glaring problem.
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12462
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:12 am
Has thanked: 1115 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible as two completely different rendering engines are used in each of the cases.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
MetalDrop
Guru
Posts: 864
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:19 pm
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by MetalDrop »

admin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 am I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible as two completely different rendering engines are used in each of the cases.
It feels like the number of complaints about the font rendering are outweighing the number of people who desire zoom.

I've enjoyed having zoom, but I do have to admit that the font issues make EPIM look cheap, and in the case of many important fonts hard to read.

Would you be opposed at all to making a poll asking if people would rather have proper front rending or text zoom?
EPIM Portable Pro Running/Tested On: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit US-ENG|i5-6400+Quadro P620|i7-7700K+1050ti|i7-8700K+970GTX|AMD 5600x+1080ti|16GB+RAM&NVMe SSDs
[I'm helpful and often reply to questions, however I am just a fellow user and not staff.]
a8907433
Guru
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:57 pm
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by a8907433 »

CATEGORIES in email:
In emails I can now categorize emails. Fine. But.... the colors and names are that of the categories in appointments. In Appointments I have categoies like "birthday", "work", "car"..... in emails I have TAGS from W1 to W6 (W from "wichtig" - German for "important") with DIFFERENT colors than in categories.
This is somawhat...... strange. I´d rather like to have a combined selection of all Tags + Categories OR a specific set for Categories in appointments, Categories in mail and TAGS in mail.
a8907433
Guru
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:57 pm
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by a8907433 »

FONT + ZOOM: I don´t want to go without zoom in notes. I´d rather replace all fonts.
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12462
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:12 am
Has thanked: 1115 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

We keep a close eye on the situation with fonts in notes. Removal of zoom wouldn't be a good choice, although will investigate further if some sort of a switch is somehow still possible..
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12462
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:12 am
Has thanked: 1115 times
Been thanked: 774 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by admin »

a8907433, a set of tags as well as a set of categories are global within EPIM. You can remove the ones you don't need or use.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Tester
Expert
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:38 pm
Location: Austria
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: EssentialPIM 10.0 Release Candidate 2

Post by Tester »

admin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:50 am I'm afraid that [= disabling the zoom feature] wouldn't be possible as two completely different rendering engines are used in each of the cases.
admin wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:51 pm We keep a close eye on the situation with fonts in notes. [...]
I assume that you already know it but nevertheless I would like to mention it:

A zoom feature does not automatically mean a loss of quality in font rendering.

I can say this definitely at least from one program, namely "Atlantis Word Processor":
It has a zoom feature (to use from the lower right corner, exactly in the same way as it is planned for EPIM) - and nevertheless there is practically no visible difference in the font display respectively scaling compared with the original source (= MS Word). The used font is Arial, in rare cases Trebuchet MS; the documents are imported into Atlantis as rtf-files.

I am aware that a word processor is not the same as a personal information manager. But I assume the basic principle how a zoom feature works is the same for both types of software. So perhaps simply your choice of the rendering engine for the zoom component is not the ideal one?
Post Reply