Limit on the number of message rules?

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

EoinDubh
Guru

Limit on the number of message rules?

Post by EoinDubh »

is there a limit on the number of message rules that can be created? Or does having a lot of them slow down EPIM a lot? I have had me email address since 1994 and these days most of my messages are SPAM. I have started creating message rules to move anything from the most obnoxious offenders to the deleted folder. Today, so far, out of 104 emails so far today 3 were valid, the rest were SPAM. I created a rule for most of them but with the amount of mail I get it will be ending up as a lot of rules and I am not sure if it will slow down EPIM or not.

And no, I do not want to change my email address as I have a lot of contacts and I do not want to have to send emails to several hundred people to let them know that it changed.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Re: Limit on the number of message rules?

Post by FireBrand2026 »

A little off topic, but before you go crazy making rules, scroll to the bottom of the "spam" messages and look for the often hard to see [tiny and blends into the background in many] "unsubscribe" link.

I've helped many people go from unbearable amount of spam, to only 1~3 actual pieces of real spam a month just by going through their most recent couple of months of emails and hitting unsubscribe links.
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

I will try that going forward. But many of the ones that I received today do not have unsubscribe links so I created rules for them. I will also keep a list of sites that I have unsubscribed from and if I get another spam from them I will set a rule to delete ANYTHING from that domain.
FireBrand2026
Guru

Post by FireBrand2026 »

In many cases it's illegal not to provide an unsubscribe link.

In those cases you are encouraged to forward that kind of spam to:

spam@uce.gov

which is an email address setup by the FTC to collect spam to investigate for breaking CAN-SPAM laws.
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

FireBrand2026,

Thanks for the info. I have been getting spams lately where the message window is completely blank. All that is visible is the email address and the title.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There's no limit regarding the number of the message rules, although I'd recommend you to use the built-in SPAM detection feature instead. Once you train it, it should be able to catch most of the spam messages for you. As making new rules might end up to be a never-ending process as there are literally millions of spammers with as many different email addresses/domains.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

Yes I know. I am using rules on the worst of the worst. There are several dozen spammers that send many emails each day and I have rules to delete them so I do not have to. Since I updated to version 9.10.1 most emails were going to the spam folder. By playing with rules and blocking some spammers at my ISP, it is slowly getting better. I was getting up to 200 spams per day, all in my inbox. Now at least they are going to the spam folder.
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

It has been 3 days and over 300 unsubscribes and the torrent is slowing. Only 30 so far today.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You won't be able to eliminate it completely of course, but seeing less spam is very much achievable :)
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
EoinDubh
Guru

Post by EoinDubh »

This morning is the first day in a month that there were less than 50 spams.