Wake on LAN, 'magic packet' protocol?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

dream_weaver
Expert

Wake on LAN, 'magic packet' protocol?

Post by dream_weaver »

Is it possible to integrate the ability to "wake" the desktop running EssentialPIM into the android EssentialPIM app?

Currently, one can switch apps to "Wake on LAN" to send the 'magic packet', then switch back to EssentialPIM to start synchronization.

Here is a VNC app (running from a second computer/android device) that has it integrated for an example.

Thank you.
EssentialPIM Pro Lifetime member since July 12, 2020.
dream_weaver
Expert

Re: Wake on LAN, 'magic packet' protocol?

Post by dream_weaver »

This has been alluded to here in this thread a while back. The PC and the PC version of EPIM can be left running while keeping the PC in sleep mode when not otherwise being used.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, there's already such a request in the to do list. Will eventually get to it :)
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

I've noticed that EssentialPIM Pro 5.8.7 for Android does "wake" the system.
The first request "wakes" the computer, but the process comes back with the "unable to connect" response.
Applying the "manually connect" then starts the synchronization process.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

@dream_weaver "Applying the "manually connect" then starts the synchronization process."
Could you please explain where the manually connect option is. I've been unable to find it. When I get the failure to connect message, it just seems to infinitely loop. Sometimes I have an option to rescan. I have to go into the pc and sync from there. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it tells me I should start it from the Android device. I honestly can't figure out a consistent method to sync, but eventually I do get it done.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you're in PC Sync, just tap on the button with three vertical dots at the right hand upper corner of the screen. There'll be a menu shown with the "Connect manually" option.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

Hi Steve.

I also have an app on my Android device named "Wake On Lan". It allows me to send a signal to the desktop computer to "wake" it from hibernation or sleep status prior to initiating a synchronization process.

Apparently, sometimes the desktop will react to a synchronization request, but I think it is just when the monitors, and not the computer tower have gone into power saver mode.
Steve Shank
Guru

Post by Steve Shank »

I think my problems could be more about my android tablet being in a sometimes dead spot, rather than the computer doing hibernate or sleep. I turn off both sleep and hibernate on my systems. The system defaults to 5% cpu use when there's no load, which is like sleep, so there's no need for sleep. I do turn off the screens. I never allow hibernation except when a UPS shuts down my system due to a power outage. But, thanks for the tip. Sounds like a good program to have in my arsenal.