Write protected, public tasks cannot be checked any more?

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

logies
Guru

Write protected, public tasks cannot be checked any more?

Post by logies »

I`m still on EPIM Pro Business 8.65 because I cannot live with the following problem, which is still present in EPIM 9.2:
We are several people using EPIM with public tasks, so that everybody can see, what the other is working on. The owner of the public task has write protected it, so that no one else can change or check it. Till 8.65 write protection did not stop the owner from checking a task, even when write protected. This ability has disappeared, which makes newer EPIMs unusuable for us (removing write protection, checking, adding write protection is much too slow for us). Has anybody else this problem, can it be reproduced?
Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Write protected, public tasks cannot be checked any more?

Post by admin »

I think there were complains from other users who though setting up a task as read-only shouldn't allow any kind of modifications happening to it.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

It`s always a bad idea in software development to take well established functionality away (always better: make new functionality optional). Some users will be frustrated with the loss, like me. I can`t recommend EPIM any more to colleagues (dentists). For groups who have many little tasks to check per day, EPIM has become unusable, IMHO.
For me loss of functionality started, when tagging was changed (combination of tags no longer shown). It already made my management of tasks more difficult. I will stick with EPIM 8.65, and if things remain in this sorry state of affairs, will switch to another task manager, if something else is breaking with 8.65.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I wouldn't call that a well established functionality rather than a design flow, which allowed you to utilize it in a bit unexpected way. We'd love to help, although not sure yet what could be the best course of action here. Will think about that.

As for the tagging issue - not sure i understand it. Could you please elaborate a bit more?
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

On tagging: Because delegaton is weak in EPIM, I`m using tagging for this. Eg.: ml, vl, tf, rh, ls etc for user names. In the past I could tag eg. with "vl, tf, rh" and could filter not only on individual tags, but on combinations of tags. This is no longer possible and a step backward, IMHO.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This should still be possible. What's preventing you from using this feature with the latest versions?
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

tag-filter-windows.gif
tag-filter-windows.gif (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
The filter window does not offer a checkbox for multiple tags in a row any more, eg. a checkbox for "iw, ml". I can only check each tag individually. That`s not selective enough, because tasks from iw or ml or "iw, ml" or "iw, (other tags)" etc. are shown, not only shared tasks of "iw, ml", tasks which only contain exactly "iw, ml" as tags. That`s a lost functionality which better had been replaced by the new behavior only as an option.
Last edited by logies on Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

admin wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:08 am I wouldn't call that a well established functionality rather than a design flow, which allowed you to utilize it in a bit unexpected way.
Fact is, I would not have bought EPIM if it would have behaved back then as it behaves at the moment. The group functionalities have always been a weak point of EPIM. Taking away from them has reached a point where little workgroups are better off with Outlook in combination with Public Sharefolder or OLFolders.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The filter window does not offer a checkbox for multiple tags in a row any more, eg. a checkbox for "iw, ml". I can only check each tag individually. That`s not selective enough, because tasks from iw or ml or "iw, ml" or "iw, (other tags)" etc. are shown, not only shared tasks of "iw, ml", tasks which only contain exactly "iw, ml" as tags. That`s a lost functionality which better had been replaced by the new behavior only as an option.
I see what you mean now, thanks for the explanation. Will attempt to improve this in the next version by adding an option to use "And" or "Or" condition for filtering out by the tags field.
Fact is, I would not have bought EPIM if it would have behaved back then as it behaves at the moment. The group functionalities have always been a weak point of EPIM. Taking away from them has reached a point where little workgroups are better off with Outlook in combination with Public Sharefolder or OLFolders.
In any case, thanks very much for your opinion, will not take it lightly, of course. Maybe there's going to be a change regarding this feature in the next version already.

If you have any other thoughts about how to improve the Business edition, just let us know.