EPIM is limited to 33499 tasks?!

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

logies
Guru

EPIM is limited to 33499 tasks?!

Post by logies »

My EssentialPIM Pro Business 8.65 crashed today when checking a task. Part of error message:
Exception class: EIBInterBaseError
Exception message: Dynamic SQL Error
SQL error code = -303
arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation
numeric value is out of range.
(I sent some complete error messages to support.)

I upgraded EPIM to newest version of client (9.2) and database. Same problem, same error message. I downgraded my VM again to 8.65, because 9.2 has other, for me fatal flaws. I played with last backups. I found out, that EPIM crashes when checking a task after a limit of 33499 tasks is reached, which I find very strange for a database application.

I deleted all archived tasks from EPIM and kept only about 1000 in EPIM. Problem resolved, no crash any more. And EPIM has become much faster, which I think is also strange for a database application, which should not become slower when the database is growing.

I have attached a screenshot of the content of the old, crashing database. Deleting trash did not help, only reducing number of tasks helped.
Attachments
Crashing-EPIM.gif
Crashing-EPIM.gif (11.23 KiB) Viewed 10182 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: EPIM is limited to 33499 tasks?!

Post by admin »

The number of tasks shouldn't be a problem. Your database is pretty old, there might be some issues with it. Try to sync it over to the new one using EPIM Sync (https://www.essentialpim.com/pc-version ... ntary-apps), will it help?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

I tested on a copy of my old, big database. The sync-tool crashes with the same error message as EPIM:
Dynamic SQL Error
SQL error code = -303
arithmetic exception, numeric overflow, or string truncation

After the crash, when trying to open the new database with EPIM 8.65, I get an error message, that the database can only be opened with EPIM 9.x. Is the old version of the sync tool for EPIM 8.x still available? As written, EPIM 9.x is no option for me. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please get the EPIM Synchronizer version 8.6 from here:
https://essentialpim.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... d-versions
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

I tried with EPIM Synchronizer version 8.6, same crash. Resulting database contains email, but 0 tasks.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please do the following:
1. make a copy of your database file
2. open the created copy with EPIM and delete all the data from it, leaving just a number of tasks
3. optimize the database, exit, start again and see if you're able to sync it to the new one or the problem is still there
4. if it is, archive the file and send it to me via PM
Will check out what's the problem here. Thanks!
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

I took a copy of active database, where I already had deleted 30000 tasks. I could sync it without a problem to a new database. Syncing with the old, full database did not work, though I had optimized it several times when running into problems.
Do you have any database of yourself or another customer which contains more than 33500 tasks?
I have a problem with the new database (shrinked from 490 MB to 21 MB, nice). SYSDBA can open it, but every other user gets an error message:
(...)
Exception class: EIBInterBaseRoleError
Exception message: no permission for read/select access to TABLE DBPARAMS.
Exception address: 0067EFBD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Main thread ID = 7304
Exception thread ID = 7304
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Object Logs:
332990140 DBOpen
332924171 DBOpen
(...)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Consulted with our developers. The error seems to be related to the broken indexes in the database file. Please try to sort tasks by another column and also change order for couple of tasks manually by using the drag&drop method. That should rebuild indexes and the error is likely to be gone. Please try it out and let me know. Thanks!
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

No, it did not work. What did work a bit, was to give the user full rights (in user adminstration). Then he could connect to the database successfully. I could then go back to standard rights for this user.
But in the new, small database only SYSDBA has kept his email account. All other user accounts have lost their email accounts and emails.
The layout is messed up for all accounts but SYSDBA. The filtering templates are gone.
The rights of tasks (write protection) are messed up (SYSDBA has all rights, users have none).
How to preserve email accounts and emails for users when syncing? Layout/filtering templates? Whether I synced local files or connecting to the database did not make a difference, should it?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You first sync the database with the SYSDBA account and then synchronize Mail only for the rest of the users using their credentials. Although, synchronization will likely not be able to fix the issue with indexes in the DB. If you can forward us the database file, we could try to fix it up manually for you.
Texter
Guru

Post by Texter »

first of all it's important to have a copy of your current state, which will not be infected when you're playing around. But i think you allready got this ;)

Maybe try the following:
- open your database (original) with the 33499 entries
- open a second EPIM Task.
- create a new EPIM Database (new) in the second EPIM Task
- go to the tasks located at "original" press "CTRL+A" to mark all, then "CTRL+C" to Copy
- go to the tasks in "new", press "CTRL+V" to paste

what's happening? if it crashs by corrpupted file try the first 10.000 , then another 10.000

Other idea: take CTRL + X (to cut) and "CTRL+V) to paste. Then it should crash on the faulty item.

Please keep in mind there might be hidden entries.
best luck
Epim-User since 12/2007 - changed to pro later - never change a running system - now Epim Lifetime.
Running latest* Epim Pro Portable on a Lenovo T14p with Win 10 64bit.
*including RC`s
spoken languages: German / English
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

EPIM is much too slow for 30.000 tasks. At least I think this after I have used it with only about <1000 tasks for 2 weeks or so. At the moment I have no time to play around further and no incentive. Because of the usability problems above EPIM 8.65 I cannot upgrade. I could already import emails from all users into a new database (users need full database rights temporarily), but then the resulting database is not much smaller than my existing one and rights management of tasks is still messed up. I would have to test and retest etc. Have already used 10 hours or so for playing around. No ROI for this. If a database of tasks is becoming bigger, EPIM degrades much faster than Outlook. On the other hand EPIM has features Outlook has not, so I`ll stick with what I have, for now.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

logies, is there's any possibility you could forward us your database file, please do that. As in this case we'd manually check it for consistency and whether there's any issues with the structure. It seems something's not entirely right with the file..
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

admin wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:29 am logies, is there's any possibility you could forward us your database file, please do that.
Sorry, I can`t give away my database file. Too much sensitive information. I have a software for my dental office which uses PostgreSQL, the client is programmed in Delphi (Consys-Dent). After each automatic backup (every 3 hours) the backup is checked for inconsistencies, has never been a problem. I`m using the software for 11 years now and never had a database problem, and I did some successful restores of the database. Software is updated at least every 3 months. Same story for a payroll program I use (Lohnfix). I have used Outlook 2002 for more than 10 years. I can`t remember a database problem I could not solve myself. So I think EPIM has a quality problem, if it`s datafile is going corrupt without notice. (Hardware is always RAID1 and ECC-RAM, Windows is stable, so I`m quite sure there is no problem on my side). As I wrote: I could fix the EPIM problem myself, I believe, but there is no incentive to do it right now. Some customers including me are waiting for basic features since years, but nothing happened, like bulk change of date of tasks. And the other problems mentioned: https://www.essentialpim.com/forum/view ... 31&t=35216
I will only try to fix my problems with EPIM if version history tells me that these issues are resolved. Till then I only can recommend to any workgroup using EPIM to stick with 8.65.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No problem, we don't know for sure if there's any issue with the database file without seeing it first. So take my assumption with a grain of salt. The problems you refer to, which were mentioned in another post will be taken care of in the next 9.4 version release. As for bulk change of dates - we have this in plans for implementation, as well.