Private records synced to Google!!! Nasty...

General talks about EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

PaulMSmith
Novice

Private records synced to Google!!! Nasty...

Post by PaulMSmith »

From HELP
Q: How can I sync only specified items?

A: You can use the "private" flag for this. EPIM can include/exclude private items to/from synchronization. Exclude private items from synchronization by unchecking the corresponding option in Tools -> Options -> General dialog. The "Private" flag can be set via context menu for any item.

OK - SO I look there but nothing has any mention of Private Records??? AND I cannot see any way of making the Notes Private but the contact Public.

Now that some info is already synch'd to Google Contacts, How do I remove the info from Google without loosing on EPIM next synch?

Cheers Paul
Keldi
Guru

Re: Private records synced to Google!!! Nasty...

Post by Keldi »

Hello

It seems in the Knowledge base this question needs an update.
The option isn't in the General any longer, but in Tools -> Options -> Security -> Include private items in export/synchronization.
Uncheck this option to exclude private items from synchronization.

Keep in mind, I'm just a user and never synchronized EPIM with Google, so I can't help you with that specifically.
But here are some basics about EPIM synchronization:

Any note/contact/task and so on can be either Private or Public.
You can change it for existing items in right click menu -> Status. (i.e. right click on the note's tree name -> Status -> Private to make all notes in that tree Private).
It allows to make some of your contacts/notes and so on private while syncing the other (when 'Include private items...' is unchecked)
You can use Ctrl+L shortcut (or View -> Show Private Items) to switch the view in EPIM to hide Private items, so you can make sure that nothing you don't want to synchronize has Public status before setting up a synchronization.

But it sounds like you are looking for syncing all of your contacts and none of your notes? If it's the case, you don't have to bother with setting up Private/Public statuses for items.
You can just uncheck the Notes module altogether and leave only Contacts module when you are setting up the synchronization with Google.

Now, to be on the safe side, before editing/recreating the synchronization with Google, make a copy of your EPIM database (*.epim): you can see the path in File -> Database Management.
Or, if you've enabled backups, there is also 'Backup Now' button in Tools -> Options -> Backup.

When I accidentality set up a wrong synchronization with Android, my actions were:
1. Delete the synchronization on PC (Tools -> Options -> <synchronisation name> -> Delete)
2. Delete data in EPIM on my phone.
3. Create another synchronization on PC with the right settings.
Probably, just editing the existing synchronization could have solved the problem without deleting, I just preferred to go all the way anew.
It shouldn't be much different with Google, but you might want to wait until somebody answers who actually uses Google synchronization.

Regards
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

please go to Tools-> Options-> Security- there you can Exclude private items from synchronization.
You can right-click on a Contact or Note and select Status-> Public/Private.

In regards to deleting from Google:
- set your items to private
- set Tools-> Options-> Security- to Exclude private items from synchronization
- File-> Database management-> Clear synchronization data
- delete the item in Google
- synchronize
The item should not appear in Google anymore and should not be deleted from EPIM.
To be safe, please make a copy of your database before doing the sequence.
The method that Keldi posted would also work.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
PaulMSmith
Novice

Post by PaulMSmith »

Thanks Guys for the detailed information.
So the Notes I am referring to are the Notes within a contact record. Not the NOTES within EPIM.
I use EPIM synched with Google contacts to have one suite of Contacts.
It looks likes the only solution is to either create private NOTES for each contact of interest or duplicate Contacts for each with one copy Private, the other public. Messy solutions. What would be much better is the abilityto flag any field private so it only exists in EPIM and is never synch'd.
Cheers
Paul