Display PDF attachments in 'Notes'

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Frizzell9
Expert

Display PDF attachments in 'Notes'

Post by Frizzell9 »

As a veteran EPIM user since version 2, (that was so many years ago, my hair still had color) I would like to see a release that could display PDFs that are attached to 'Notes', like Evernote does so well (see attached screenshot). In fact, I would cancel my Evernote subscription in a heartbeat if EPIM could do this, as it is the main reason I use it. Being able to directly see the details of an attached document is truly a convenient and time saving way to ascertain information on the fly when busy. I will gladly contribute one hundred dollars to start the coding right now, for just the promise of this capability in the near future.

Loyal User to the End,
Frizzell
Attachments
image_00001.jpg
Image EPIM Pro User Since 2006

"Why a four year old child could understand this.
Run out and get me a four year old child,
I can't make head or tail out of it."
Max
Site Admin

Re: Display PDF attachments in 'Notes'

Post by Max »

Hello,

indeed, EPIM has been around for a while!)
Thank you, suggestion is noted! We probably could implement it for PDF files, but then, PDF is just another format amongst many others, so not sure, how much it would help.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Frizzell9
Expert

Post by Frizzell9 »

Thanks for responding Maxim!

It would help immensely, and I am confident no one would want to return to an earlier version of EPIM once the benefits of the feature became apparent.

PDF isn't just another format. It is the de-facto format world-wide for paperless document capture and archiving. Everyone can 'view' and 'save' PDFs free of cost, whether using the Adobe Acrobat Viewer or a sundry of free alternatives. There is no need for any other format than the most common 'portable document format', and this is why government, corporations and vendors wisely implement it.

My offer remains in place, and thanks again for your consideration,
Frizzell

ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

Max wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 pm Hello,

indeed, EPIM has been around for a while!)
Thank you, suggestion is noted! We probably could implement it for PDF files, but then, PDF is just another format amongst many others, so not sure, how much it would help.
That would be like saying .xls and .xlsx are just another file format amongst many others.

PDF is the defacto standard for viewing almost all text documentation worldwide. If there is ANY product that has a digitized version of its instruction manual, it is in PDF format - I could go on and on.

For years, I have been so used to working around EPIM not having a PDF viewer that it never occurred to me to ask for one. So, I am lending my voice to the request for a PDF viewer.
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

I am the same opinion, PDF is standard for decades now. the same is true for JPGs. Sometimes you want to save some pictures in the db, without wasting space in a note, so it is saved as attachment. A third important format ist simply txt, or, SHOW AS TEXT. The reason is, I save all information of commercial software I bought (for example EPIM) in the database, and sometimes the registration information is saved in files like ".key", ".bin" and so on. And, of course, when it is shown as text, you could off course read HTML and other saved programming language files, or .eml files!
So, the most usefull formats would be PDF, JPG and TXT! When you can implement PDF, JPG and TXT should not be a problem, because EPIM can handle both formats already.

Now another question/suggestion about attachments:
Usually, I send attachments from the emailmodule- that is, saved files attached to an email. But yesterday, I tried to send an attachment from within EPIM....... and I found, there is NO WAY EXCEPT DRAG AND DROP!!! My screen is not big enough that I normally have two windows open, so I had to resize the main window, open the note in a separate window, resize it to small too, and drag the attachment to the other window. Please make it possible to send an attachment (from notes module) with right-click and/or an menu item!
ecsaltz
Guru

Post by ecsaltz »

a8907433 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:26 am I am the same opinion, PDF is standard for decades now. the same is true for JPGs. Sometimes you want to save some pictures in the db, without wasting space in a note, so it is saved as attachment. A third important format ist simply txt, or, SHOW AS TEXT. The reason is, I save all information of commercial software I bought (for example EPIM) in the database, and sometimes the registration information is saved in files like ".key", ".bin" and so on. And, of course, when it is shown as text, you could off course read HTML and other saved programming language files, or .eml files!
So, the most usefull formats would be PDF, JPG and TXT! When you can implement PDF, JPG and TXT should not be a problem, because EPIM can handle both formats already.
+1
PC Desktop: Window 11 Pro, 34 inch 4K monitor.
Cell phone: Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, Android 12 - linked with Garmin Fenix 6 Pro wrist watch and Fitbit Sense wrist watch.
henacynflin
Experienced

Post by henacynflin »

I too would support this suggestion. A lot of PDF's get attached to many things in Epim and a quick way to view them (rather than having to save them and go and re-open them) would be great. Even just a simple preview page to be able to know if this the pdf you are looking for.

Cheers

Alan
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you for your input. We came to conclusion that there are other formats that might need "quickview functionality"- JPG, TXT (and yes, XLSX)- that's exactly what I meant by "PDF is just another format amongst many others". We will see what kind of quick view functionality can be implemented.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
tahoma
Guru

Post by tahoma »

I'd like to add my voice to this wish too. For PDF's that is :-)
Frizzell9
Expert

Post by Frizzell9 »

Thanks again Max for the friendly, hopeful feedback!

Viewing PDFs is Evernote's only draw as far as I am concerned. Other than that, they don't hold a candle to EPIM's functionality that I have enjoyed for so many years, and I for one, would love to drop their recurring subscription fees.
Thanks also to everyone who seem to like my 'PDF viewing' suggestion for a future update of EPIM!

Frizzell

rising4ce

Post by rising4ce »

new user here, but +1 for pdfs.
RTC
Novice

Post by RTC »

As a veteran EPIM user since version 2, (that was so many years ago, my hair still had color) I would like to see a release that could display PDFs that are attached to 'Notes', like Evernote does so well (see attached screenshot). In fact, I would cancel my Evernote subscription in a heartbeat if EPIM could do this, as it is the main reason I use it. Being able to directly see the details of an attached document is truly a convenient and time saving way to ascertain information on the fly when busy. I will gladly contribute one hundred dollars to start the coding right now, for just the promise of this capability in the near future.

the wise words of Frizzell9 says it all...every doc I received the last couple of years from any government or corporate office, any doc I downloaded from a library, was a PDF....
I don't think it make sense to try to incorporate all (non)proprietary formats in EPIM...PDF covers the vast majority of the available formats and I'm sure the majority of your customer base will be within one update extremely satisfied...

+1 :!:
(and keep up the good work Team Max et al...)
RTC
horst
Guru

Post by horst »

+1 for viewing PDFs
Other formats can easily converted into PDF by the user.
Frizzell9
Expert

Post by Frizzell9 »

Precisely. Whatever it is the user needs to visualize in order to readily ascertain information, can quickly and easily be converted to PDF, be it text, jpg, xlsx, docx, etc., etc., etc... And if the user doesn't have adobe acrobat, there's a sundry of totally free PDF print drivers (CutePDF, PrimoPDF, doPDF, Nitro, Bullzip, Foxit, Sumatra, blah blah blah...)
In the end, having the option to 'Insert PDF' covers the rest of the file extensions.

Frizzell

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Guys we're looking at the feature and have a question for you:
- say you attach a PDF file to a note. would you wish to preview the file somehow within the note (like images inline in mail) or there should be a separate preview tab, for instance?
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!