Search is so SLOWWWWWW

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
jimbeam23c
Guru

Search is so SLOWWWWWW

Post by jimbeam23c »

I remember a time ages back when I used to search for stuff in EssentialPIM for Android and I used to get results in seconds.

Now, it takes even longer to try and type out a search entry, because as soon as you click on search and start typing, you get the first character or two, and then everything just stalls, and you have to basically wait until the app catches up, and then you type another character and wait again....rinse and repeat.

When you can finally type out the search terms, results are still found, but this situation almost makes the search unusable.
EssentialPIM Portable 11.0.4 (Windows)
EsentialPIM 6.0.2 (Android)
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
admin
Site Admin

Re: Search is so SLOWWWWWW

Post by admin »

Please mention your device make and model. Also, which module you're searching in and how many items are in it. Thanks!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

Oops, sorry about that.

I've updated my signature to include that information.

I'm searching in Calendar, Contacts and Notes....

Calendar: 3420
Contacts: 90
Notes: 30

Slow in all modules...

Those just happen to be the ones I use.....
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, thanks. Will add a barely noticeable delay that should happen (when you type in the last character) and only then the live search will start to work. This should allow you enter search terms without delay.
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

Yes please do that right now....

I'm just worried that if the typist is slow, or thinking of something while typing, they will also still experience this issue.

You could also just add a search button that you can press after you have entered the search term.

It might not be live search, but at least it'll work as advertised ALL of the time.

This Search button might be the best simplest option for the long run.

Perhaps give the user a choice of live search or the old method of searching in the options.
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A simple search button isn't as effective as the live search. And this effect isn't really noticeable on devices with mid to high end processors. In any case will adjust the option to make it more responsive.
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

For what it's worth (and it may get lost in this forum), either the delay was not long enough or I'm too slow a texter, but what I found worked brilliantly is to type the term I'm looking for somewhere other than the search bar, then copy my search term, then paste it into the EPIM search field. The results have been almost instantaneous since doing this.

Programmatically, it could be broken into two parts. Let the user key in the term and provide an extra command button to execute after the search query is fully formulated.
(Or break the selection up into selecting and entering into the textbox field, followed by clicking on the 'magnifying glass' to execute the query.)

(EssentialPIM Pro 5.8.6, Android 10)
Last edited by dream_weaver on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
EssentialPIM Pro Lifetime member since July 12, 2020.
Tester
Expert

Post by Tester »

First of all I must confess that I have no experience at all with Android or mobile platforms in general. But the speed of search is (for me) always an interesting and important matter. :wink: So I read this thread and I remembered something that perhaps could be useful (especially for what dream_weaver refers to):

Some time ago I had tested the software "UltraRecall" (https://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/). This program offers an interesting feature for its "Quick Search" method.

In the Manual it is described as follows (https://www.kinook.com/UltraRecall/Manu ... dialog.htm):
Incremental search delay when typing: When entering search criteria while in Quick Search mode, Ultra Recall will automatically execute the search after you revise the criteria after this delay setting. If this delay value is set to 0 milliseconds, no automatic search execution will occur (you can manually invoke execution with the Start button).
Default Value: 700 milliseconds

--> So when typing in the search box, the search will start after the configured delay. Respectively with choosing 0 milliseconds you can determine that you initiate the start of the search manually (by pressing the Start button).

Here the option:

UR.jpg

I remember vaguely that I had experimented with it when testing UltraRecall.

Perhaps EPIM's developers could consider to implement something similar too (possibly not only in its mobile versions but in general)?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

dream_weaver, you mean when you try to type in the search phrase into the search box, AEPIM is slow to respond to your typing as it starts searching for the already entered term?

Tester, that's actually a very nice idea, thanks for bringing it up to our attention!
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

Yes. Sometimes I could get two characters in at which point the app would pause as if trying to find all the entrees with those one or two letters. It is as if the search could not wait for me to finish typing what I was fully looking for.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please also mention which module you're usually searching in and an approximate number of items in that module (you can get that info from WinEPIM's File->Database Management if you sync with it).
dream_weaver
Expert

Post by dream_weaver »

WinEPIM File-->Database Management lists 43937 records in the Calander
If I query a Calander table going back to July 10, 2020 (I started a 30-day 1-way transfer then, followed up by 2-way syncs since.) it shows 1475.

And I find that if I could type with my thumbs faster, I can actually get "Big Boy" into the search field before it starts searching. I'm not really a "speed thumber", and I do have a viable workaround, i.e.; my copy/paste of the search term.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All right, thanks for the update, will pay attention to the situation.
poet-man
Guru

Post by poet-man »

Just as conformation, what is discussed here, without more trying on my side:
I do experience this as well in calender module of AEPIM ... typing in 2 characters (I am a speedy typer), and AEPIM searches, and I have to wait until done, to be able to type in more characters.
To start search manually after typing in, would seem to me much more speedy, than to wait until I can go on
Everything I mention comes out of my experience. I'm not an expert. Feel free to try anything I suggest ... but always at your own risk.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

poet-man, please share the number of records in your calendar.