Birthday date format incorrect on Android EPIM Contacts

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
jimbeam23c
Guru

Birthday date format incorrect on Android EPIM Contacts

Post by jimbeam23c »

On my Windows EPIM in Contacts, the Birthday is shown as 22/07/1958, however, that same contact is showing the birthday as 1958-07-22 in Android EPIM Contacts.

Why is that?

I have all the settings to reflect Australian date format, and other programs that show dates are showing the dates in the correct format.

The correct format should be 22-07-1958.
EssentialPIM Portable 11.0.4 (Windows)
EsentialPIM 6.0.2 (Android)
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
admin
Site Admin

Re: Birthday date format incorrect on Android EPIM Contacts

Post by admin »

Which language setting is set on your Android device? We're taking locales from the system settings.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm Which language setting is set on your Android device? We're taking locales from the system settings.
English (Australia).
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

admin wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:37 pm Which language setting is set on your Android device? We're taking locales from the system settings.
It's got nothing to do with that. Well, it may, but it's more complicated than just what you say.

I did some further testing, and it appears that the database somehow becomes "corrupted" in how the Birthday date is shown when you change the EPIM Common Settings -> Language option in Android.

This is what I did:
1. Clear all EPIM Android data and make change options to how I want them (but leave the EPIM Common Settings -> Language to "System default".
2. Sync the database.
3. View the contact with birthday information, and notice that the correct date is shown (eg: 22 July 1958).
4. Change the EPIM Common Settings -> Language to "English".
5. View the same contact again, and the date is now shown as 1958-07-22.
6. Change the EPIM Common Settings -> Language to "System default" again, expecting the date to now show as 22 July 1958 again, but it now still shows as 1958-07-22. All other contacts birthdays also now show the same incorrect formatted date. Somehow, the database has been "corrupted".
7. Close app and restart, the same issue is now present all the time.
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First of all, let's agree on terms. If something is corrupted, it means data either partly or in full becomes unrecoverable. In this case we're talking only about changing date/time formats, so no so to say "corruption" is taking place. Will check and fix.
jimbeam23c
Guru

Post by jimbeam23c »

admin wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:49 am First of all, let's agree on terms. If something is corrupted, it means data either partly or in full becomes unrecoverable. In this case we're talking only about changing date/time formats, so no so to say "corruption" is taking place. Will check and fix.
I spent my time investigating the issue for you guys for free, and you're talking about semantics here?

How about showing some appreciation instead of getting bogged down with correct word choices...
Windows 11 Pro (x64)
Motorola G10
Android 11
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is a public forum so we need to be sure there's no misinformation about the terms for other users.

PS This is offtopic and the last two messages (including this one) will be deleted after a while.