Network connection fails each morning

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ahansske
Novice

Network connection fails each morning

Post by ahansske »

PC 20 will be started 1st each morning having the EPIM database and the database server.
PC 10 will be started after PC20 is up and running.
EPIM 8.05 Business Edition (2 licenses) 8.05 is running, no other PC's are in the Zittau network.

Each morning the EPIM Client at PC10 does not connect to the database and reports that a network edition would be necessary to connect.

I already checked and re-registered incoming and outgoing firewall connections for EPIM (PC 10) and Firebird (PC 20), but each morning the same desaster. After playing around, trying to connect again and again it works. But this could not be the normal state.

If I access remote drives from PC 10 to PC 20 or do other network related things there are no problems to connect. Only EPIM hangs here around.

Just now a connection has been established after checking both PCs without changing anything in the network or database settings.

I'm not local present there in Zittau, but do the management remote for the office there.

Do you have any idea what I could check there to get it working permanently each morning?

Thank you
Andreas from Dresden
ahansske
Novice

Re: Network connection fails each morning

Post by ahansske »

New day same status :=(

Today I modified the database folder name because it contained a national character (non-ascii). I observed in wireshark that the connection to the firebird server had been established successfully, but then closed by the EPIM client. ???
May be ...

Later I checked the IP interface for address resolution issues. I found that IPv6 was enabled. And PING to the server name reported only a IPv6 address. And if I searched for available database servers the EPIM client reported the name of the server but could not connect to that name. So I disabled the IPv6 protocol. After this the connection could be established. May be ...
But I did not use the server name in the EPIM database connection. I use the IPv4 server address for that connection. And I kept this definition for now.

Could there be an issue with IPv6 addressing scheme?

Tomorrow I'm not in the office so the users from Zittau cannot catch me ;=)
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

could you please give more information so that we could try to reproduce the issue?
How many clients there are connected by the time PC10 tries to connect? How many licenses you have for Business version?
Screenshot of "reports that a network edition would be necessary to connect." error message would also be useful.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
ahansske
Novice

Post by ahansske »

Thank you,
in the mean time I created a ticket via support email, there are the screen shots and also a wireshark logfile.

They have a 2 user license and there are only 2 PCs in the office. Each PC has only one user account, so it should work.
IPv6 was not the killer, next morning same problem also with IPv6 disabled.

For the database connection I used tie IPv4 adress notation, no PC-names (and the source path for the database at the server). The EPIM client at the server machine was also connected via IPv4 address string together with database path at the server.

At the client I also re-entered the license, but did also not help...

Thank you
Andreas