Help needed

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

scottstantinople
Novice

Help needed

Post by scottstantinople »

Please forgive me in advance for being so clueless about setting ePIM up for the 1st time!
ePIM Pro 5.11 / Samsung J3, Android 6.0.1
ePIM Pro 7.52 / Desktop Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Using ePIM Calendar to start with. No Outlook, Notes, etc. No email, no contacts or passwords. Very lightweight use of ePIM.
Prefer to use the USB cable to sync. Do not want to use cloud, google, etc. Strictly between my 2 devices.

Why do I need IP addresses if both devices are connected via USB? I have other apps that function over usb.
Why did the IP address on my Laptop change radically when I first tried to sync?
There seems to be no info for setting ePIM up on Windows 10

I'm anxious to get this up & running before I leave town next week.

Thank you!

<ATTACHMENT filename="ePIM setup for Bluetooth.png" index="0"><s>
</s>ePIM setup for Bluetooth.png<e>
</e></ATTACHMENT><ATTACHMENT filename="2 Separate Devices.jpg" index="1"><s>
</s>2 Separate Devices.jpg<e>
</e></ATTACHMENT></r>
admin
Site Admin

Re: Help needed

Post by admin »

Please see here about how synchronization via USB works: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/synch ... _cable.htm.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
scottstantinople
Novice

Thanks for the info!
And I'm very familiar with those steps.
192.168.0.12:21114 were established on both sides.
However, one crucial event that I failed to mention:
After trying the procedure through Step 8 I get, "Unable to connect. Check firewall settings on your computer"

So I don't understand why I need an IP Address to sync via a USB Cable connected between my 2 devices?
I use file management apps on my Android and windows' file system just using the USB cable.
I'm very gun-shy about going into the Firewall settings after trying the same kind of USB cable with required IP:PORT settings to get Pimlical to work. Spent 3 days trying to get it back, finally paying Microsoft to help me fix it. Then Deleted Pimlical.

After trying several times, last night I tiptoed into the PC firewall settings and they looked good. EssentialPIM had its own rules and the one with LOCAL access was ON. Without changing anything I exited and immediately shutdown the PC. It hung on startup 3 times before I got back in. This was a surprise - I thought the system was A-OK. But evidently, the Firewall is still sketchy.
Is there no way to get the USB to do the trick without the IP / Firewall nightmare?
Also, you mention USB cable as a foil against the NSA, and I jumped in without a second thought...
Well also, the whole product on both devices looked so much more polished than Pimlical. :)

Thank You
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The PC version of EssentialPIM acts as a server and connection to it from Android EPIM is established over TCP/IP, therefore you'd still need to use your local network IP address in order to connect the devices with each other. I'd recommend you to temporarily disable Windows firewall only for local network (leaving public network monitoring intact) in order to check if synchronization starts working after that. Thanks!
scottstantinople
Novice

<t>The good news:<br/>
After the latest Windows update I tried the Firewall without any changes, exited and restarted OK! Went back into Firewall rules and found 2 sets of ePIM entries, one of which was disabled. Deleted the those entries and restarted Windows and SYNC popped just fine!<br/>
The not so good news:<br/>
This morning I got the 2nd notice of the 7.53 update and just let it go. Seemed to go OK, but when I opened ePIM the Calendar (the only thing I'm using so far) was wiped clean. Is this normal? Could I do a SYNC to Android and then do the update and SYNC again to restore Window's ePIM?. <br/>
<br/>
Thanks!</t>
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, good, glad there's portion of good news :)

I think you somehow opened/created a new database file after EPIM's update. Please click on File and there will be list of recently opened EPIM files towards the bottom of the menu. Try opening the database files mentioned there. Thanks!