Recognizing incoming calls

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Demal
Novice

Recognizing incoming calls

Post by Demal »

Hello,

I wonder whether it is possible to make EPIM for Android react on incoming calls by showing the name to that number which is stored in the EPIM contact list.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Demal
-------------------------------------
I'm running EPIM Pro for Android 4.2.2 under Android 5.1 on a Fairphone 2 and EPIM Pro for Windows 6.58 under Windows 7.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Recognizing incoming calls

Post by admin »

That will be possible when we introduce a new feature allowing to create an EPIM contacts account in the system. So this is coming soon.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
Demal
Novice

Post by Demal »

Thanks for the really quick reply!

Will the new feature include passwort protection for the stored contact data against being automatically/ secretly read by other apps, e.g. Whatsapp?
If you think at least of business people or physicians/psychotherapists such a protection would be rather important to prevent professional contact data from being phished by Whatsapp, Google or whomever.

Demal
I'm running EPIM Pro for Android 4.2.2 under Android 5.1 on a Fairphone 2 and EPIM Pro for Windows 6.58 under Windows 7.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No it will not, otherwise the system dialer will not be able to get access to the EPIM contacts and therefore you will not be able to see who's calling.
Demal
Novice

Post by Demal »

That's a pity!
Isn't it possible to make EPIM being able to catch an incoming call and to show an "Incoming Call" message?
Other apps - e.g. independent dialers - are able to do so, aren't they?
But, if the catching thing cannot be done, perhaps an approach does where EPIM itself is the dialer?

Without phishing protection against other apps, an "Incoming Call" message feature seems to be rather useless, at least to me. I need high level security for my customer's phone numbers, e-mail addresses etc..
So I hope, you will find a better solution.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In this case the only option would be to develop our own EPIM dialer, like you mentioned. Not sure how many people would require such functionality, though. However, we will implement that if we get enough requests from the users.
Demal
Novice

Post by Demal »

I believe that many people would like it quite a lot to be informed about the source of an incoming call.
But they wouldn't like to give up the holy principle of data security. I mean, it is this principle EPIM stands for! What a blame to give it up concerning phone and address data! I don't believe that people have split standards - demanding high security for calendar data but not giving a damn for the contact list. (And as I mentioned before, for some professions it is a must-have by law! I am not allowed to have contact data of customers or patients on my smartphone when Facebook/Whatsapp, Google etc. are able to grap it and store it on their servers!)
So, I would appreciate a lot if Astonsoft increases EPIM's comfortability in that way without shorten the security aspect.
I'm looking forward to it ...

Thank you!
Alfhw
Guru

Post by Alfhw »

I also would like to know the name of who is calling me from the EPIM contact list. However privacy and security are also important like Demal said.
IMHO you should first in the next future add the function to create an EPIM contacts account in the system so at least people without privacy concerns would be satisfied. And then in a further future create an EPIM dialer for maximum privacy and security.

I was also thinking: Android 6 has app's permissions control built inside. In the absence of a full EPIM dialer, would it be enough to deny malicious apps any permission to read contacts to stop them?
Or encrypting contacts and decrypting on the fly only when Android dialer try to read would be possible?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I also would like to know the name of who is calling me from the EPIM contact list. However privacy and security are also important like Demal said.
Got it, thanks for your feedback.
IMHO you should first in the next future add the function to create an EPIM contacts account in the system so at least people without privacy concerns would be satisfied. And then in a further future create an EPIM dialer for maximum privacy and security.
Yes, that's how we're going to implement the feature.
I was also thinking: Android 6 has app's permissions control built inside. In the absence of a full EPIM dialer, would it be enough to deny malicious apps any permission to read contacts to stop them?
That will definitely be enough.
Or encrypting contacts and decrypting on the fly only when Android dialer try to read would be possible?
Much harder to implement as there are lots of Android dialers around. Plus each device manufacturer offers its own dialer app.
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

In my opinion, DejaOffice used with Companion Link is EssentialPIM's main competitor. I expect that EssentialPIM will have a significant number of customers come on board when the EPIM secured caller ID feature is installed. The caller ID feature, with high level security, is a must for most professionals, and for that matter, most people do not want to answer calls before they know who it is. Personally, I have been waiting and watching for more than 2 years for EPIM to install this feature so I can make a move to EPIM.

An EPIM app with secured caller ID synced directly with EPIM desktop will be a far superior option to Deja Office, as they do <not> have their own desktop program.
Last edited by Ram8 on Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
running EPIM Pro 5.6.2 on Android 9 and EPIM Pro 8.53.1 on Windows 10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, will see about a significant number of users ;)
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

Forgot to mention: EPIM should be able to sync with the native phone app. and have ability to dial directly from EPIM android/iOs.

:-) they should come in masses !
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Synchronization with a native phone app works already through Google Contacts. And you can already dial a number from EPIM Contacts.
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

thanks Admin
Ram8
Experienced

Post by Ram8 »

admin wrote:That will be possible when we introduce a new feature allowing to create an EPIM contacts account in the system. So this is coming soon.
Just purchased EPIM PRO lifetime and am learning the PC and Android versions. Roughly when could we expect the feature quoted above to be ready? I really need to be able to sync EPIM app with my android's native phone app. Having to go through Google adds an additional margin for sync errors and puts all my contacts in a domain that I do not want them to be in. Would like to keep my contacts on my PC and on my phone. Seems this would be a priority so that EPIM is not dependent on someone else.