How to import contacts from EssentialPim to Android contacts?

Discussion of EssentialPIM for Android and synchronization
Madgeniy
Novice

How to import contacts from EssentialPim to Android contacts?

Post by Madgeniy »

Hello!
I would like to import contacts from my EssentialPim app to Android contact book without Google Contacts help. How I can do it?
And From Android to EssentialPim contacts too.
Thanks.
kdgdr
Guru

Re: How to import contacts from EssentialPim to Android contacts?

Post by kdgdr »

I guess you need to do that via EssentialPIM Desktop - at least that 's how I do it:

On Android EPIM home screen go to settings (upper right corner), and next:
- Choose "contacts" > tap "Google Contacts Sync" > choose the correct google account to sync with OR choose "Do not sync with Google".
- Choose "PC sync settings" > Synchronize settings with > choose "Phone" to sync your EPIM Desktop contacts with your Android contacts OR choose "EssentialPIM contacts" to sync your EPIM Desktop contacts with EPIM Android contacts.

On EPIM Desktop: see help file section on synchronization. Be sure to select the contacts module in the sync settings, as only the modules selected here will sync - no matter what your Android settings are.

Note:
- on my Android phone - I don 't know if this is the case on other Android phones as well - it is best to sync with the Android contacts, otherwise - meaning, if my Android phone contacts are empty - with incoming calls the name of the person calling me is not shown on the phone screen. So for me personally, syncing with Android contacts is essential, syncing with EPIM android contacts is supplementary.
- your standard contact groups from your android phone will appear in EPIM desktop after syncing with your android phone contacts.
- in the past, sometimes syncing contacts caused issues in EPIM desktop, such as creating tons of birthday reminders, etc. ... causing EPIM Desktop to freeze after startup, due to the long time it took to show all the reminders in the reminder window (could take 30, 60, 90, ... minutes). Don 't know if this is still the case. If it happens to you when syncing: don 't panic, just wait long enough and eventually your EPIM Desktop will unfreeze, allowing you to find & delete the items causing the reminders.
- all items (including contacts) which have their status set to private in EPIM desktop, will not sync. This allows you to only sync certain items (such as contacts) to Android, instead of all items. See EPIM Desktop help file on setting the status of items.

Hope this helps.
My setup:
WEPIM ProPort. 11.6.5 on Windows 10 <2-way sync over Wifi> AEPIM 6.0.13 on Samsung A52s 5G (Android 12 - One UI 4.1)
martinredgar

Post by martinredgar »

Thanks kdgdr.
I had the same query, and I hadn't noticed the PCSync settings allowed for switching between the Phone Contacts and EPIM Contacts.
McWilliamsPete

Post by McWilliamsPete »

I cannot find where "the PCSync settings allowed for switching between the Phone Contacts and EPIM Contacts".
Now it's year 2023 and I have EPIM 11.6, so the settings just might be somewhere else. Does anyone know where?
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That is correct, the option is no longer available.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
McWilliamsPete

Post by McWilliamsPete »

If the option to switch between Phone contacts and EPIM contacts does not exist anymore, what does one do?
I would like (as a 1st step) to get my Phone contacts into EPIM contacts, and (as a 2nd step) then sync them from Android to Windows.
How could one do that? I tried (on Android EPIM) in Contacts the 3point-menu "import Contacts", option "SIM card", but nothing comes (I do have many contacts on the phone).
Where could I read up on syncs?
Thanks,
Pete
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mentioned having contacts on your phone in the Phone's local account. If that is the case, EPIM should be able to offer an import option for these contacts. However, if you don't see any option other than the SIM Card option in the Import dialog, it means that the Phone account is not accessible to EPIM. In such a situation, EPIM may not be able to directly import contacts from the Phone's local account.
McWilliamsPete

Post by McWilliamsPete »

So I synchronized my phone contacts with Google, and then did a sync between Google and EPIM.
Now my phone contacts have doubled themselves; every second contact has a heading "Kontakt erstellt von EssentialPIM - Lesemodus" (contact generated by EPIM - read mode). The EPIM contacts which were loaded by the sync (on FP4 and on PC) are OK.
Now I know why I didn't want to ever use Google.
Does anyone have an idea how I could clean up my phone contacts?
Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Likely, you now have identical contacts in different accounts on your phone – in Google's account and in EPIM's account. To resolve this issue, you can choose which contacts to show in your system dialer settings.
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

admin wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:54 am That is correct, the option is no longer available.
I still see it in AEPIM 6.0.13:
Home Screen > Settings > PC Sync
It 's the 1st option (top of the list)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kdgdr, you're absolutely right, and I appreciate you correcting me on this matter. Thank you!
McWilliamsPete

Post by McWilliamsPete »

Hi Admin, you wrote "Likely, you now have identical contacts in different accounts on your phone – in Google's account and in EPIM's account. To resolve this issue, you can choose which contacts to show in your system dialer settings."
I cannot figure out what "system dialer settings" are. I have tried settings/system (German: Einstellung/System), but don't find anything which might be "dialer". (I speak of the Android settings menu. Should I be looking somewhere else?) What could "dialer" be?
Thanks
kdgdr
Guru

Post by kdgdr »

On your phone, go to your default contacts app (the one that came with the phone, not AEPIM).
There you should fined some settings to manage your contacts. In there you will be able to choose which contacts to show: Phone, Google, All, ...