Post for those experiencing Email or Synchronization problem

Support related problems and questions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

admin
Site Admin

Re: Post for those experiencing Email or Synchronization problem

Post by admin »

Are you able to see your PC name and IP address when you start the PC Sync module in Android EPIM. Just in case here's the link to the sync tutorial: https://www.essentialpim.com/help/android_os.htm.
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
lezp
Novice

Synch from Android to Windows 10

Post by lezp »

The hard disk drive on this nearly-new Windows 10 Home PC failed suddenly, and I lost everything on it that wasn't backed up. I am trying to "pick up the pieces". I have put EPIM (free) v.8.12 on the new drive. I had my Contacts and Notes (all I use) synchronised with my Android phone, and I want to synchronise from that to the PC. I downloaded EPIM Synchronizer onto the PC. Unlike the old method, I have to specify database names at the start of the synch process - but I have no idea of the name of the file or files where my EPIM data is kept on the phone. How do I fill this field in the Synch program?
Max
Site Admin

Re: Synch from Android to Windows 10

Post by Max »

lezp wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:45 am The hard disk drive on this nearly-new Windows 10 Home PC failed suddenly, and I lost everything on it that wasn't backed up. I am trying to "pick up the pieces". I have put EPIM (free) v.8.12 on the new drive. I had my Contacts and Notes (all I use) synchronised with my Android phone, and I want to synchronise from that to the PC. I downloaded EPIM Synchronizer onto the PC. Unlike the old method, I have to specify database names at the start of the synch process - but I have no idea of the name of the file or files where my EPIM data is kept on the phone. How do I fill this field in the Synch program?
Hello,

please make sure you are using an empty database in EPIM. You do not need EPIM Synchronizer. Just install EPIM on your Android phone and start creating synchronization from Windows EPIM. If you need more guidance, please create a separate topic for that.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

I wrote above that I am trying to synchronize from the phone to the PC. The above reply relates to the opposite direction. I am frightened of losing the phone data if it synchronizes in the wrong direction!
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

The reply above relates to your cases as well. As mentioned above, please create a separate topic if still unclear.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
lezp
Novice

Post by lezp »

Using just the Synchronize facility built into EPIM worked wonderfully. Now I don't know what EPIM Synchronizer is for - but who cares? I got my contacts and notes back onto this PC. :-)
Thank you so much!
PeakOil
Novice

Post by PeakOil »

I'm putting this out there for anyone else that might run into it.

On Sunday, I 're-discovered' EssentilPIM and see that it now is something I want to begin using. I downloaded the free version, downloaded the iTunes app for my iPhone, and began inputting data such as passwords and addresses. Syncing to the iPhone was simple and great and didn't involve my data leaving my own home. PERFECT!

Then I made the mistake of running AVG PC Tuneup. Suddenly, I could no longer sync. The "START" never appeared on the phone. I uninstalled EssentialPIM and re-installed it. I uninstalled the iPhone app and re-installed it. No difference. I turned off Windows Defender Firewall entirely. No difference.

The only thing that fixed it was going into AVG PC Tuneup and thankfully, that program had a way to undo all the changes it made. EssentialPIM works again. I have no idea what AVG PC Tuneup thought it 'fixed', but it sure broke EssentialPIM.

Anyway, now that I know not to make that mistake again, I'm going to buy the lifetime PRO license. This program has finally let my phone and PC do what Palmpilot did 20 years ago: sync my mobile device to my PC instead of through the internet. Only now it's better, since phones have voice dictation ability and so many other capabilities that the Palmpilot did not.
PeakOil
Novice

Post by PeakOil »

OMG, here's another syncing battle that I fought all afternoon that has an unbelievable "finally worked" solution.

Scenario:
New Windows 10 PC
New ePim registation
Phone = iPhone (8...if that makes any difference)

I liked EssentionalPIM Pro so much that I convinced my wife that she needed to get it and use it, too. Since she needed a laptop, we bought a Windows 10 laptop at Costco. So, new PC, new EssentialPIM Pro license, to be used with her existing iPhone. She went to iTunes.com and clicked on the link that downloaded iTunes from the Windows Store. Yes, that's an option there.

I could not get the START to show up on syncronization. I tried changing the Windows Firewall, no effect. Eventually, we were able to get iTunes to sync with her phone via WiFi, so it was clear that EssentialPIM Pro and the new laptop were truly on the same network and able to communicate with each other. But something about iTunes just didn't seem right. I could never set a particular option in iTunes because that option was always greyed out, no matter what I'd try. I eventually found this where someone had that same issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8547872?page=2

Bottom line: iTunes for Windows, when downloaded from the iTunes site itself, is somehow different than the version that exists on the Windows Store (and, strangely is also downloadable from the iTunes site). The version of iTunes for Windows that you download directly from the iTunes web page WORKED. Whatever difference gave the user in the link above his headache, also caused ours.

If you have an iPhone and want to use EssentialPIM, don't use the Windows Store version of iTunes.

Maybe someone at EssentialPIM will see this and realize this needs to be addressed to keep the good name of EssentialPIM. It's a great program. But that was such a frustrating afternoon.

Brian
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello Brian,

thank you very much for your investigation and that you have taken time to share it. We will look into iTunes issue, however, it may be that we do not have much control over it, unfortunately (except advicing EPIM users to download from iTunes website)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
XineBBSA
Expert

Post by XineBBSA »

My Android won't connect to my PC EPIM for synching since an update or so ago.

I've tried to delete my Android Sync info and now when I run the Sync tool, EPIM crashes.

I can't even stop the process - as it leaves an EPIM Process running. To get rid of it, I have to reboot my PC.

This has happened twice now.. After I have stopped the 'Not responding' process, the one it leaves behind cannot be stopped as it says 'Access Denied'

The last time I tried to stop it, it crashed task manager - so.. rebooting again now.. :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What's your Android EPIM and WIndows EPIM version numbers? Did you create a completely new synchronization after deleting your old one?
XineBBSA
Expert

Post by XineBBSA »

Hi,

I deleted my synch yeah and it crashes when I do the create new one. Create -> Android -> Next (Crash!)

EPIM Version: 8.55
Android: 5.6.2
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please make a short video demonstrating the crash. We aren't able to reproduce it on our side.
You might also need to delete the EPIM.ini file (make sure you backup it first just in case), restart EPIM and then try to create new synchronization again.
XineBBSA
Expert

Post by XineBBSA »

Hi,

I fixed it - I uninstalled EPIM and then re-installed it - so it doesn't crash any more (I noticed it had also started crashing on Email Send/Receive) - so obviously something went a bit oddly after the last update..

Synchonizing still comes up with : Connection Error - Unable to connect. Check Firewall settings on your Computer [OK]

I haven't changed my firewall since it used to work, so not sure what else to do to get this working.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Please try to disable your firewall for testing purposes (for the private type of network, if asked). Will it help?