installation help

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

ianhaney

installation help

Post by ianhaney »

Hi

I am in a small office with 3 people wanting to access the same database file including myself

How do I install it correctly so myself and my two employees cam access the file at the same time

Kind regards

Ian
Max
Site Admin

Re: installation help

Post by Max »

Hello Ian,

you will need to use EssentialPIM Pro Network:
http://www.essentialpim.com/pc-version/network-edition
Maxim,
EPIM Team
diashel
Novice

Post by diashel »

If the EPIM cloud is used to share the database is the network version still needed or can the pro version be used instead? On your website comparison of the pro vs free version the ability to have multi-user access to the database is listed as available with the pro version. How do multiple users access the database using the pro version?

I already have 2 lifetime licenses of the network version but have started using the EPIM cloud to share the database. When upgrading from the 5.8 RC2 to 5.8 do I need to make sure I download and install the network version instead of the pro version? I am asking because when accessing the update from EPIM program the "check for new version" link takes me to the pro download .exe - not the network .exe. Is there a difference in the 2 files? I did notice the file size of the network version is larger.

I have added an employee so I possibly will want to add a 3rd license. Since I'll be using EPIM Cloud to share my database, do I purchase another network license or can I purchase a pro license ($20 less than network). Basically, I'm confused about the difference between pro and network, especially with the new EPIM Cloud.

- Dianne
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

diashel wrote:If the EPIM cloud is used to share the database is the network version still needed or can the pro version be used instead?
EPIM Cloud is not designed to be used for sharing the same database between users. You can try this, but it not tested and officially supported.
diashel wrote: On your website comparison of the pro vs free version the ability to have multi-user access to the database is listed as available with the pro version. How do multiple users access the database using the pro version?
If you mean this page: http://www.essentialpim.com/pc-version/pro-vs-free , it compares Pro (and including Pro Network) vs Free. So multiple users can access database in Network Pro. Desktop or Portable Pro can not do this.
diashel wrote: I already have 2 lifetime licenses of the network version but have started using the EPIM cloud to share the database. When upgrading from the 5.8 RC2 to 5.8 do I need to make sure I download and install the network version instead of the pro version? I am asking because when accessing the update from EPIM program the "check for new version" link takes me to the pro download .exe - not the network .exe. Is there a difference in the 2 files? I did notice the file size of the network version is larger.
There is no difference in .exe files- for Pro and Pro Network it is the same. Network distribution file includes Firebird server, but I guess you already have this installed (it was not updated for 5.8, so need to change this)
diashel wrote: I have added an employee so I possibly will want to add a 3rd license. Since I'll be using EPIM Cloud to share my database, do I purchase another network license or can I purchase a pro license ($20 less than network). Basically, I'm confused about the difference between pro and network, especially with the new EPIM Cloud.
EPIM Cloud does not have any relationship with sharing data with other users. EPIM Cloud is for sharing data between computers of 1 user.
Yes, you will need to buy 1 additional Network license for your user. After purchase, email us, so that we could re-issue your volume license.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
diashel
Novice

Post by diashel »

Max -
Thank you so much for explaining and answering my questions. All makes sense except that EPIM Cloud is not designed to be used for sharing the same database between users. Below is a question I posted earlier this month with your response:

diashel wrote:
Is the EssentialPIM cloud function meant to be used as a cloud-based program where it can be used in place of the desktop program? Or is it a different way to sync data other than dropbox, but works like dropbox in that there will be conflicts if more than one person is accessing the file? I am using Pro version with 2 licenses.

So far, EssentialPIM Cloud was tested for synchronization with EssentialPIM (Windows). It also works fine if several copies of EssentialPIM try to synchronize. You can edit your data online, but I would not suggest it, it is in the works.
Maxim,
EPIM Team

With 5.8 RC2 we are able to sync fine with 2 users using EPIM cloud. Had an issue with the full release of 5.8 on my computer syncing (socket error) so went back to using RC2.

Dianne
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello Dianne,

I did not approve the use of one EPIM Cloud account by multiple users in my reply. Once more- you try can it, but it is not officially supported. Later we will also have to change license so that 1 EPIM Cloud account must be used by 1 person only.
Maxim,
EPIM Team