iCal export problem (Swedish special characters)

Here we post and discuss the iCal calendars which users create with EssentialPIM
cat812

iCal export problem (Swedish special characters)

Post by cat812 »

I am using EssentialPIM Portable 4.24 (free version). When I export my E-PIM calendar as an .ics file and then import it in another application (ReminderFox in Firefox), all the special Swedish characters å, ä and ö are wrong. (For example, 'Höststädning' becomes 'Höststädning'.) Up to this week I used to do this with Sundbird and the same appointments were perfectly readable in ReminderFox, so the fault cannot be with them.

Importing from an .ics file with Swedish characters was no problem and I see that you fixed that in a recent forum question about German special characters. Please fix the export issue too. Thanks!
Max
Site Admin

Re: iCal export problem (Swedish special characters)

Post by Max »

Hello,

we might be able to quicker implement this, if you could make a sample empty EPIM database with just one item that, when exported into ical, gives this problem. You can send it to ma@essential, or post it here.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
cat812

Post by cat812 »

Thanks Max,
I did some tests (exporting selected days into an .ics file) and the encoding is always correct for a single day/event (or even up to five days - both attached). But when I export all appointments for this year, the Swedish characters are messed up in all of them. You could try filling up 3 months with the five items attached and exporting that as a test file, I suppose.

However, the single event attached did look a bit strange when imported in ReminderFox because, although the Swedish characters were fine, the line breaks came out as \N\N (like this: Föreläsare\N\N Roys direktsändningar från Metropolitan. \N\N). - Is that supposed to happen?
Attachments
_one_CalEvent_from_EPIM.ics
A single calendar event with Swedish characters
(387 Bytes) Downloaded 449 times
_some_CalEvents_from_EPIM.ics
One week's events (N=5), all with Swedish characters
(1.62 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thanks. I think I reproduced the problem, will try to fix.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

we did our investigation. Turns out, the iCal file we export is fine. In UTF-8 encoding it looks fine. Looks like ReminderFox imports it incorrectly (not in UTF-8).
And yes, \N\N is line break, which should be understood by ReminderFox.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
cat812

Post by cat812 »

Thanks for looking into it, Max!
I have now directed my query to ReminderFox to see what encoding they are actually using.
cat812

Post by cat812 »

Dear EPIM team,
Thanks for fixing this problem with preserving local characters on export of the calendar. It makes a big difference!
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thanks for confirming. Let other Swedish users know about it!:)
Maxim,
EPIM Team