POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What three options do you like most ?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

- Spam filtering, with white and black listing and move those messages to a spam or trash folder - DONE
20%
- Block the preview pane and by that NOT loading e-mails unless opened or needed for the preview pane. - DONE
6%
- Option to block loading remote content (mostly pictures) - DONE
8%
- Label (flag) messages to categorize them (color or category, like in the other EPIM modules) - DONE
24%
- Mark messages (for remembrance or as spam) - DONE
7%
- Threading e-mail messages - DONE
11%
- Option to apply column changes also to all other accounts/folders - DONE
5%
- General option for requesting read receipt confirmations, now this can only be set per e-mail.
4%
- Timed e-mails, so you can set a time and date for sending out the e-mail in stead of immediately - DONE
5%
- other (1,2,3,4,5 as described in the first message or other own suggestion)
9%

Total votes: 279

Max
Site Admin

Re: POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Post by Max »

2.- you can already convert email to Appointment and Task (right-click on an email)
3.- when you move an email to Spam folder, we teach algorithms to detect it as spam in the future
Maxim,
EPIM Team
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Here we all are again with the eight year old email poll which continues to get absolutely no action; note the SPAM filtering request being number two on the list and the SPAM filter is about as useless as it can be; see other posts in the support section.

It is way past time that the email portion of EPIM got some serious attention; number one should be getting it ported to run on Android; how many years has the Android version of EPIM been around and no action on this front has ever been taken. P-poor really...

Regards,

Jim
a8907433
Guru

Post by a8907433 »

For me spam-filtering works. But maybe I´m not a good example, I receive only very little spam.
I think, improvements allready done (for example Spam filtering oder labeling of messages) should be removed or marked as "DONE".
With the mail-module for AEPIM you are very right.....
TumbleDoor
Guru

Post by TumbleDoor »

For me the spam filtering works fine as well, for what it is.

Though for me there are really four types of spam:

#1 and the most common "NOT" spam, spam.
Almost all people I've ever met who have "spam" issues, didn't have spam.
They had just sighed up to places that said they would share their contact information shared with other companies in the EULA.

Almost all of these are legal and follow the laws, meaning there's a working unsubscribe link in the email.

For nearly everyone I have met spending 15mins going through their emails hitting the unsubscribe links fixed their spam problem.

#2 People who have to keep their email address exposed on the internet, usually due to business reasons.

This will get you tons of bot spam, and because it is constantly evolving attack spam there's isn't a good way for a program like EPIM to fight it well. You really need an AI driven system learning from a huge quantity of email. Which is why for business spam you are always best off managing your spam directly in Google.

If you try to manage business spam in a low resources program like EPIM you will always be disappointed because EPIM respects your privacy and isn't harvesting information from all it's users emails and feeding it into an AI, which means it's spam protection can't grow fast enough to outpace the spam.

#3 is data breech spam, this is spam you get when your email address was been breached from a company database.

Like #2 it is usually attack spam, and isn't something low-resources, privacy programs like EPIM can handle well. Unlike business spam usually only a small group of spammers will go after you though, and it'll usually fade away in time, but if you are managing your spam in Google will vanish much quicker.

#4 and finally the type of spam EPIM works well for:
Usually small legal companies who are doing illegal things such as not adding unsubscribe links to their email newsletters.

These are usually well meaning little companies ran by people not using newsletter services, who don't know the laws. [EPIM is a good example of a way to be one of these people. Since it's newsletter system doesn't come with built in unsubscribe links, which means you are almost always sending illegal newsletters if you are using EPIM to send them, unless you have done extra work to setup extra systems behind them.]

A lot of the times if you reach out to them and explain the laws to them they will change their system and become respectable, but not always.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

a8907433 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:16 am I think, improvements allready done (for example Spam filtering oder labeling of messages) should be removed or marked as "DONE".
That's a good point, done!
Android version of EssentialPIM. Keep all your data in sync!
jesura
Novice

Post by jesura »

I like EPIM, EPIM's mail module function is constantly improving.
I think keeping it simple is good.
If mail filtering can add time filtering option, it will be much more convenient to organize old mails.
jvo
Novice

Post by jvo »

SEND and STAY... rather than sending, and moving the email to the sent folder, instead, send the email and keep it right where it is, so that you can then move it to a customized folder of your choice.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can already automate that with a help of message rules.
mrkwhlbrk
Novice

Post by mrkwhlbrk »

1) Support for Local Folders, so I can store emails on my local hard drive without leaving them on the server.

2) Thunderbird has an elegant way to combine certain folders like Sent, Inbox, Trash, Spam, etc. when dealing with multiple accounts, it would be helpful if EPIM did this.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All right, noted, thanks!
rgrun1
Experienced

Post by rgrun1 »

mrkwhlbrk wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:30 pm 1) Support for Local Folders, so I can store emails on my local hard drive without leaving them on the server.

2) Thunderbird has an elegant way to combine certain folders like Sent, Inbox, Trash, Spam, etc. when dealing with multiple accounts, it would be helpful if EPIM did this.
Amen to the above. I suppose the local folders could sit on the users hard drive in a configurable folder. I have a lot of local folders in Thunderbird.
And the combined folder work great for dealing with spam, trash etc not to mention seeing all your new mail in one place

And a shoutout to Max for NOT forcing the databases into a hard wired place under MY DOCUMENTS or just as bad ... APPDATA. Thank you sir, thank you :mrgreen:
--
Thanks
Rick

EPIM 10 beta2
Windows 10 Pro
Telesto
Experienced

Post by Telesto »

mrkwhlbrk wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:30 pm 1) Support for Local Folders, so I can store emails on my local hard drive without leaving them on the server.

FWIW: also +1 from me
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The second point is already there in a sense of the "All Inboxes" feature.
daho2018
Guru

Post by daho2018 »

Hi,

Are there already plans to support or integrate online meeting tools like Google Meet, Zoom, MS Teams?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are now :) Although, I assume this is more of a calendar's question and not about email?