POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What three options do you like most ?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

- Spam filtering, with white and black listing and move those messages to a spam or trash folder - DONE
20%
- Block the preview pane and by that NOT loading e-mails unless opened or needed for the preview pane. - DONE
6%
- Option to block loading remote content (mostly pictures) - DONE
8%
- Label (flag) messages to categorize them (color or category, like in the other EPIM modules) - DONE
24%
- Mark messages (for remembrance or as spam) - DONE
7%
- Threading e-mail messages - DONE
11%
- Option to apply column changes also to all other accounts/folders - DONE
5%
- General option for requesting read receipt confirmations, now this can only be set per e-mail.
4%
- Timed e-mails, so you can set a time and date for sending out the e-mail in stead of immediately - DONE
5%
- other (1,2,3,4,5 as described in the first message or other own suggestion)
9%

Total votes: 279

Bareges25
Novice

Re: POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Post by Bareges25 »

I would like to see more sophisticated message rules in conjunction with Virtual folders.
The virtual folders, which I have managed to setup in Outlook using search folders are for "Reply", "follow Up" and "Pending", this means that i can manually 'categorise' or 'colour group' according to those folder titles and a copy of the relevant message whilst stored in a folder of my choice will be placed the relevant virtual folder. I can also set the Rules to not only "redirect" mail on receipt but also place it in a specific folder and put a copy in a pre-chosen Virtual folder..............now that would really make the EpimPro mail module match the usefulness of the rest of the programme which is very good.

Bareges
Bareges25
Novice

Post by Bareges25 »

MadScientist wrote:What I need are more flexible rules - moving or copying to a folder or deleting are not many options. I would like to automatically categorize my emails (or tagging them) depending on keywords not only in the sender but also in the text of the email. And I would like to specifically assign formatting to those categories - means I want to have category "work" displayed in bold and red, category "Newsletter" in blue and category "Family" in green. That would help a lot! Let me know if I just have not found this options yet - if so, I apologize. if they are really missing - I will have to stay with Thunderbird for now ( even if it has some issues with IMAP and a calendar function that sucks...).
Please - don't misunderstand. I think you did a very good job with all the other parts - just get your email client up to date and you will be the best alternative to Outlook available! And I will be happy to pay for a perpetual license!
Have to agree that the very 'young' email addition could do with more functionality. I personally would like to see Virtual folders as this would allow emails to be 'tagged', 'categorised' or 'colour grouped' so that they could then with the use of filters and/or rules be copied from their storage folder into the virtual folder. I have managed to achieve this using the search folders in Outlook so now I can not only categorise messages manually to place a copy in a virtual folder( Pending, Follow Up and Reply) but also the message rules will do this as well as sending copies to others and filing the messages wherever I have designated. The virtual folders sit at the top of my folder tree and have a counter switched so I can instantly see how messages I must reply to, follow up or are pending.
Just a few thoughts as this very PIM develops.
Bill1949
Novice

Post by Bill1949 »

NEWLETTER function.
I don't use the NEWSLETTER function but I would use it if could send nicely formatted documents, ie HTML or RTF in the email which each person receives.
mtlit

Post by mtlit »

Hello, i've seen in other tools a great security feature: a email is unsafe until you assign a contact (or declare it as safe manually). Unsafe emails have only text preview, no images or ability to save/open attachments.
It's very usefull.
An other often missed feature is delete message on server without download / preview it.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

mtlit wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 pm Hello, i've seen in other tools a great security feature: a email is unsafe until you assign a contact (or declare it as safe manually). Unsafe emails have only text preview, no images or ability to save/open attachments.
It's very usefull.
You can do similar to this lines already now. See Tools-> Options-> Mail-> Don't show external images in messages
mtlit wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:50 pm An other often missed feature is delete message on server without download / preview it.
Noted, but so far no such plans.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
norsea
Guru

Re: This poll has been running since December, 2011....

Post by norsea »

norsea wrote: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:06 pm Hi,

I know this will sound a bit contrary; please understand that that is not my intent.

But having said that, I have to ask what is the point of asking the same questions for four (4) years and basically doing very little with the suggestions people have put forth?

Seems to me it is well past time for the EPIM E-Mail module to receive some serious attention for upgrades.

Or, remove this thread/poll if none of the suggestions are to be implemented. It is very frustrating to sit and watch people respond in good faith and see no action taken.

Regards,

Jim
And it is now 2 years later and nothing has changed.

I do see a lot more requests for things that have been asked for numerous times prior to my posting the above message; which include many of the same things I begged for.

The email module is the weak link in EPIM and needs ATTENTION. It is so far behind the times that it defies description.

Now that we are starting to see Microsoft port the Office applications to Android I cannot help but wonder what they will be doing with Windows; will we see a version that will run on Android? Not far fetched at all as we look at what is going on with phones.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is the phone that can be the computer. All that is lacking is someone smart enough to get software developed that will work on the small screen and a monitor as well. I have mentioned this previously on this forum and it fell on deaf ears. Samsung seems to get it. With Microsoft not too far behind it will be interesting to see who gets left behind as we see tablets and PC's die off in favor of a single device that can do it all.

Not having email in the Android version of EPIM after 4+ years of tablets that can use it is hard to believe, but that is the way it is. And based on responses over the years to people who have begged for EPIM email on Android which basically say "not interested" by the EPIM staff, nothing is being done; kind of like EPIM email in general.

Sad really.

Regards,

Jim
rulya

Post by rulya »

HI
Does it possible add in right click menu command to clean folder move all messages to trash ,in left panel email module ?
Thanks in advance
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

rulya wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm HI
Does it possible add in right click menu command to clean folder move all messages to trash ,in left panel email module ?
Thanks in advance
Thank you for the suggestion, but that sounds a bit dangerous, even if we ask user for confirmation.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Lio
Novice

Post by Lio »

Hi, the function that I prefer is the number 4 "label" but inserting the possibility to replace or highlight the object especially for emails from abroad where the object if displayed in your own language is more immediate but also in your own language to catalog or group multiple messages.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Lio wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:00 am Hi, the function that I prefer is the number 4 "label" but inserting the possibility to replace or highlight the object especially for emails from abroad where the object if displayed in your own language is more immediate but also in your own language to catalog or group multiple messages.
In 8.1 Pro, you can add tags to emails. Get your 8.1 RC 1 here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21581
Maxim,
EPIM Team
janicetr
Novice

Post by janicetr »

On all my e-mail accounts, there is an Archive folder, where I store, well, archived mail. Almost every e-mail client offers an "Archive" button, which places the current e-mail into a predefined folder. Would you please consider adding such a button next to "Delete"? Thanks in advance.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

janicetr wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:55 pm On all my e-mail accounts, there is an Archive folder, where I store, well, archived mail. Almost every e-mail client offers an "Archive" button, which places the current e-mail into a predefined folder. Would you please consider adding such a button next to "Delete"? Thanks in advance.
Suggestion noted, thank you!
Maxim,
EPIM Team
philosurfer

Post by philosurfer »

On email archiving, I think Outlook (client) has a better method, and that EPIM could go one step further. You can set the archive rules at a global level (e.g. archive or delete everything older than "X" days/months/year), but that will be overridden at the folder (/subfolder) level, where you have the option of setting individual rules - and choose to run the archive rules manually or set your own periodicity.

So why not have the auto/manual archive feature, but just to a separate database file that keeps it in the mail format, retaining the original folder? If you really want to get ambitious, why not have an option to search all the mail files as a join or union? As an example, I'd normally keep invoice records of things I've ordered online. To keep the system "trim," I might want to archive all invoices older than a year - but if I needed to reference one of them after archived, I could just refer to the "archives folder" on a hard drive. (program idea: if I'd searched the current folder and didn't get the result I was looking for, there's the option in the search to include the archives). Thanks for reading this.

Rich
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

You can use EPIM Archiver/DupeRemover from here: https://www.essentialpim.com/get-epim to archive emails to a different database.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
pkchu520@yahoo.com
Experienced

Post by pkchu520@yahoo.com »

1. When moving an email to a folder, have a pop-up list of last moved folders to select.
2. Option to convert an email into a calendar or a task.
3. Option to move an email to a spam folder and put the sender's email address to the blacklist.