POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

What three options do you like most ?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 pm

- Spam filtering, with white and black listing and move those messages to a spam or trash folder - DONE
20%
- Block the preview pane and by that NOT loading e-mails unless opened or needed for the preview pane. - DONE
6%
- Option to block loading remote content (mostly pictures) - DONE
8%
- Label (flag) messages to categorize them (color or category, like in the other EPIM modules) - DONE
24%
- Mark messages (for remembrance or as spam) - DONE
7%
- Threading e-mail messages - DONE
11%
- Option to apply column changes also to all other accounts/folders - DONE
5%
- General option for requesting read receipt confirmations, now this can only be set per e-mail.
4%
- Timed e-mails, so you can set a time and date for sending out the e-mail in stead of immediately - DONE
5%
- other (1,2,3,4,5 as described in the first message or other own suggestion)
9%

Total votes: 279

ariex

Re: POLL: e-mail improvement suggestions

Post by ariex »

Oh, thanks, good news, seems to be important, when you get a mass of messages on a daily base. At the moment I get confused.
Cheers: János
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

I have some suggestions not mentioned above, quite simple to introduce:
shortcut K - marking read/unread, like in Yahoo, Opera...
It's missing, especially when one does not want to set automatic read selection, to follow the unread tasks.

Other: attaching html file as the signature.
This current signature does not do the job for professional emails, ie. no possibility to set disclaimers and so on in columns to save the place.
That is why we are still using Outlook for emails.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
swwhit

Post by swwhit »

Spam filtering is essential. I was planning to purchase the Pro version until I found that it did not have filtering.
I wonder if it would be possible to create an API that would work with filtering utilities such as Cloudmark?
As for some of the other options ... I hope EP will not become too complex. I have used Info Select for years but it has become bloated with features to the point of becoming unusable.
norsea
Guru

More options like cc/bcc for Message Rules

Post by norsea »

"What I'd like to see"....Shouted in my best Monty Python voice:

In addition to just about everything folks posted above me (especially the sorting by column request) I desperately need to have more ways to filter incoming email in the "Message rules".

Not being able to filter and redirect email that is sent by way of cc/bcc is really causing me some difficulty. And, there are so many other headers that are nice to be able to filer.

I have not been without an email program that provided filtering on (just about) every header for so many years that I don't remember when I did not have it.

I think the email is about Tbird 3. TBird is now at V13.1 and has so much more functionality than the version in Epim.

Seems like a major update to the email software is really in order.

And then there are the Add-on's available in TBird... :wink:

Jim
Last edited by norsea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norsea
Guru

Button to Select Next Unread Email Message

Post by norsea »

Forgot something in previous post...

I am so used having the ability click on something that takes me to the next (unread) email message.

I get so much email that I have to filter it on arrival using "Message Rules". If I didn't I would spend all my time dragging and dropping email messages to their final storage folder.

As a result of the "Message Rules" redirecting incoming email to various folders I have new/unread email spread throughout the email folder tree.

Having to go into the tree and then descend into goodness knows how many levels of sub-folders to get to the messages is really a problem. And it wastes a lot of time spent scrolling up and down the tree searching for items in bold (indicating they are not read).

What would be even better is some sort of implementation similar to what Eudora offers: when new email arrives the folder into which it is delivered is opened as a tab at the bottom (or top - user choice) of the mail window with the folder name in the tab in bold font. Once all messages in the folder are read the folder name is rest to normal font.

This way the folders (tabs) for the most frequently received email can be very easy to get to and be read; they can be left showing while folders that are infrequently used can be closed after the new messages have been dealt with.

Jim
Last edited by norsea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Thank you everyone for your input. We are reading this thread and taking notes!)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
Trinitylab
Guru

Post by Trinitylab »

Let mu just add one argument supporting my above suggestion to
add the button to attach the html file as signature:
this would give the full html control over the signature to a user.
Now html signature editing is fine for simple look, therefore when attaching html file would do all job for those who need to precisely adjust the footnote/signature.
EPIM Pro Business Network always newest
Win 8.1 Pro 64x, C2D 2x3GHz, 16 GB RAM or Win 10 Pro, i7, 16 GB RAM.
pjssms

Post by pjssms »

I use Essential EPIM free portable edition in a dropbox folder.

I am not able to use the email feature on the portable edition because each new email will change the database that has to been replicated to the internet.
It is easy to replicate a 5 mb file but not files with more than 100 mb.

I wish i have something that stores the emails like mailstore.com in where each email is stored as an individual file.
That way it would be possible to have emails being used from a portable dropbox location.

I would go for a payed version for this.
norsea
Guru

Seperate Send and Receive Action Buttons

Post by norsea »

The Actions window in the EMail tool contains a Send/Receive "button".

While that is definitely needed, it would be nice to have a "button" for Send only.

If you choose NOT to send messages immediately (one of the EMail optoins) and you queue many mail messages to send at one time it would be nice to be able to do it with a simple Select/click.

I have so many EMail accounts that running a Receive function every time I want to send something out really slows me down.

And, yes, I know I can go to the Menu>Tools>Send and select a specific account from which messages will be sent. This is a valuable option and should be retained. My request is more from an ease of use standpoint for pumping out messages very quickly.

Jim
Last edited by norsea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norsea
Guru

PGP Encryption

Post by norsea »

PGP Encryption for messages

Jim
Last edited by norsea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norsea
Guru

Clear Deleted Items folder on exit

Post by norsea »

An option in the Mail Options to clear/delete the Deleted Items folder at the time the program is closed; same as is available for Trash.

Jim
Last edited by norsea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norsea
Guru

Hide email addresses to multiple addressee's...

Post by norsea »

I have not been able to find a way to send email to multiple addressee's so that the email addresses of the other addressee's do not show in all of the recipients email.

This should be a very high priority. I don't know how long it has been since I have seen an email tool that did not provide this functionality.

Also, I don't know anyone who likes to see their email address distributed to a bunch (technical term) of people that they do not know and may very will not want to have their email address.

Jim
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Norsea, please (obviously!) provide more details. Did you use BCC and it did not work?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
norsea
Guru

Post by norsea »

Max wrote:Norsea, please (obviously!) provide more details. Did you use BCC and it did not work?
From my perspective bcc was never intended to be used for mass mailings.

BCC is for including someone who you want to get the messageto but is not intended to be a participant in the conversation; a silent receiver who is not known to the other recipients - like someones boss. It is a BLIND carbon copy - all about keeping the recipient secret, not hiding a list of recipients of the message from the other recipients.

This is about having email sent to multiple addressee's on the To: line such that the only address that shows is that of the recipient; or the name of the "address" that contains all of the addresses.

Being bcc'd on something is for informational purposes only and the knowledge of receiving the document is not intended to be known by anyone other than the sender and receiver. If more is expected of the recipient it should be addressed to them on the To: line. A cc it is done as a courtesy to keep someone informed.

BCC is not intended to be a catch all for sending email to "groups" of email addresses.

Every email program that I have used in the past 10 years (except EPim) has this capability.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who is working on EPim BUT, if your objective is to get EPim to be used by business people the email application really needs to be brought up to the functionality of (at least) Microsoft products (Ugh!) or better email tools.

Email is the next big thing to hold EPim back now that syncing with hand held devices is being provided in its initial stages.

I consider myself a very average business user. For me it is all about being cost effective. I much prefer email to telephone conversations because it provides a documented audit trail for both me and my customers. This removes all ambiguity about what is and is not "said". 95% of my customers prefer this too once they awaken to the simplicity of this. I have email that goes back decades for this reason.

The current functionality in the EPim email is equal to the line editor email that was provided in UNIX systems that I worked on in the late 1970's with the addition of filtering (which could be done through shell scripts).

There was a poster in another thread that suggested that y'all look at some high end email tools. I don't think anyone expects EPim to have email functionality like tools that cost significant money to buy. But having functionality that is at least EQUAL that that which MS products and Thunderbird (which is free) offer should be something that is considered; and no I don't think extensions are necessary but there is a subset of extensions that should be included. Your email poll is well intended but I suspect, as I have posted elsewhere, that the scope of the poll is severely limited and the input will be insufficient.

Sorry for the rant but I really want to see EPim become a tool that will be the "best of breed" and in the market place for many years to come.

Jim
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Looks like you did not try Tools-> Newsletter before posting in this thread.
I also checked Help-> Help Contents and searched "mass mail", and this feature perfectly comes up.

And we also get at least one message every day that suggests "one feature that will make EPIM best forever". Unfortunately those features are different all the time and authors do not look into help file nor study the program.
Maxim,
EPIM Team