New icon for EPIM?

Your suggestions for future versions of EssentialPIM

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

Justovv

New icon for EPIM?

Post by Justovv »

EssentialPim is a great program. The icon of EssentialPIM is not very nice and pleasant (for me): three I sweep dark horizontals. The icons of the schedule, notes and the contacts are prettier. An idea to study a possible new icon : I would like plus an icon with the classic notebook or agenda with ring, for example. (see design orangeTask 2005: http://www.inspiredorange.com .
The Italian artists say that in design never cleared forms happen fashionable. Regards,
Justo, Madrid, Spain :lol:
yokozuna
Beta Team

Post by yokozuna »

I think the change would be too radical, however, I agree that the readability of the current icon is not perfect. I already wrote about it. I suggested adding some elements (possibly orange) to make it more visible.

A bit OT. Max, please do not take it personal, but I think that the PIM is perfect, but the marketing way way of EssentialPIM is so-so. I will give you an example. I asked you about the way of protection of EPIM, because the thing is vaguely described as "password protection". You wrote me that it is protected by Rijndael, which is really great (much better than I expected!), because it is one of the best algorithms. The thing is that an average user will not know that EPIM can be hard encrypted. To put another words - other products promise something, however, their author do not keep the promises often (to be done in the future....). EPIM and you, in contrary, do not promise much or describe something very vaguely, however, almost everything is already done or built-in. The problem is that marketing today is sometimes more important than the product itself. I do not like it, but when in Rome do as the Romans do. It is an opinion from someone who's attitude is very friendly.

Re: New icon for EPIM?

Post by Guest »

Also the present icon could be updated, and for it there are very shining and efficient companies like http://www.foood.net/services.htm
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

yokozuna, thanks for open and fair comments! They are really very valuable.

For official comment, I can tell that the reason marketing is now not on the top level- we are putting a lot of the efforts into development and planning. That's actually the reason you see many things being done quick:)
And this is Beta. We need good testers, not "As many people as possible". As soon as the release is out- we will do many of the things on the marketing side,- so do not worry, thanks for raising this issue!
We expect to build the last/or pre-last release candidate within this week with a lot of bug fixes.

If you want to talk more about EPIM marketing- pls PM me.

Thanks!

P.S sorry for delayed posting
Maxim,
EPIM Team
yokozuna
Beta Team

Post by yokozuna »

Max, sure, I will write you when I will have any new ideas or suggestions. I will call a spade a spade - I know many great programs, which are superior in comparison in almost every aspect to their competitors, but which weren't (or aren't) a success due to the marketing strategies of their authors. I can give you an example of Becky! Internet Mail, a shareware program which beats everything what was built for the Windows platform (including The Bat!, Mulberry, Pegasus, FoxMail, etc.). More about it here: http://email.about.com/cs/winclientreviews/gr/becky.htm Unfortunately, the marketing strategy of Becky! is one of the worst I heard - Carty builds the e-mail client (in English and Japanese, and let say clearly: Bill Shakespeare would not be green in envy. His English needs to be corrected sometimes.) and a group of people in a Yahoo Group (including my person) help newbies. Moreover, most plugins are available from various Japanese sites only (I read and speak some basic Japanese, so I have no problems with it). Everybody is surprised that such a program exists (I know about it because I spent some time in Tokyo and my roommate used it).

As I said, EPIM already beats most PIMs, but the features of Essential PIM must be described clearly. EssentialPIM is a rare bird - it does much more than it promisses!

I know that EPIM is in a beta stage. It is a good candidate for a killer app, actually, it is already a very good program. You are right, that it is a bit too early to start a campaign, but better to think about it in advance.
yokozuna
Beta Team

Post by yokozuna »

I noticed that I made quite a lot of mistakes, e.g. it should be "be green WITH envy". Well, I am not good in blind typing :roll: Moreover, I am not a native speaker, so please forgive me the mistakes. :oops:
airolg
Novice

What would be nice...

Post by airolg »

Is a little desk calendar that's interactive and shows today's date in it. One that appears to rip the day away at midnight revealing the number of the next day.

I love parts of this program, but I keep going back to another I'm evaluating, but I wanted to add my $.02 even if I don't end up using EPIM.