CTRL-S works in emails but not in tasks

Business edition tips, tricks, problems and discussions

Moderators: TerryRogers, Max

logies
Guru

CTRL-S works in emails but not in tasks

Post by logies »

That`s annoying (EPIM 8.14) . I have lost information this way. I think, ctrl-s should save every open item in the program. ctrl-s is a standard in many windows programs. Thanks!
Max
Site Admin

Re: CTRL-S works in emails but not in tasks

Post by Max »

Hello,

EPIM automatically saves data, so in most cases there is no need for Ctrl+S. Can you please describe the steps to reproduce the potential issue?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

If you are using a notes field like an editor and CTRL-S does not work you will sooner or later loose text when shuffling text blocks around (e. g. write something, use CTRL-S, you think it is safe, you write something more, you want to get rid only of the things written since the last CTRL-S, close the task without saving it, opening the task again, but everything is gone...). Besides this it`s bad software style when CTRL-S works in one part of the program (email) but not in the other (notes field of tasks). Both are text fields, usable for long text and should behave the same.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

thank you, but can you give step-by-step description, how to lose written text in Notes of existing Task?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Max, I already described: "write something, use CTRL-S, you think it is safe, you write something more, you want to get rid only of the things written since the last CTRL-S, close the task without saving it, opening the task again, but everything is gone..."
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

I see you point. We will consider your suggestion about Ctrl+S. However, at this moment, I do not think you can expect it to work unless it is declared expressly (and there is such point in menu, which duplicates the Ctrl+S)
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Max, where in the menu of a task (?, I don`t see one) is a button to save changes? I only see "OK", but this closes the task. CTRL-S leaves a text or email open. It`s kind of a windows standard:
https://defkey.com/what-means/ctrl-s
What is Ctrl + S keyboard shortcut for?
This shortcut is used by 249 programs in our database.
General description for this shortcut: Generally saves changes you made to currently open document, project, file, etc.
(...)

I don`t understand why EPIM uses different code for editing emails or tasks. The edit code should be the same, with some domain specific differences.
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Hello,

there is no such menu in Task modal window, thus there is no Ctrl+S working.
There are not many Windows applications with modal windows that actually support Ctrl+S. For an experiment, how many modal windows can you count in Word/Excel that actually support Ctrl+S?
New mail window is fundamentally different from Tasks window.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Max, an open task in EPIM is not a modal window: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_window
An open task is like an open text document.
Of course in Word and Excel (I prefer Libreoffice) CTRL-S works in open documents:
https://defkey.com/what-means/ctrl-s
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

Looks like there is a confusion. I am referring to your text "you write something more, you want to get rid only of the things written since the last CTRL-S, close the task without saving it"
Can you please make a screenshot of the exact tasks window, where you write (and which you close later)?
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

Max, see attached screenshot
Attachments
newtask-in-separate-window.gif
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

This is a modal window.
Maxim,
EPIM Team
logies
Guru

Post by logies »

A task windows is not a modal window because I can open more than one and work in several of them at the same time, because I don`t have to close it to continue the main app:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_window
In user interface design for computer applications, a modal window is a graphical control element subordinate to an application's main window. It creates a mode that disables the main window but keeps it visible, with the modal window as a child window in front of it. Users must interact with the modal window before they can return to the parent application. (...)

The task window I showed is like an editor window and should behave as such, as any windows program for editing text I`m using frequently (Thunderbird, EPIM in its mail window, Libreoffice, Notepad). Do you have a personal problem with me or why you can`t admit such an obvious fact?
Max
Site Admin

Post by Max »

You are right, it is technically not a modal window:) Your suggestion about Ctrl+S is noted, thank you.
Maxim,
EPIM Team